Another close call at 2500+ feet

This is going to hurt someone badly sometime. As a private and drone pilot I see the need to keep the altitude limit at 400'. If I ever see a drone it will be too late to miss it and the windshield on my plane wouldn't even slow it down. If it missed the windshield and hit the propeller, the propeller would shake the engine out of the plane and if it hit a wing, or better, a deflected flap, it would be a disaster, not just for me but passengers who are just along for the ride.

Strong 'F you!' to this idiot!

All of the No Fly Zones incorporated into the current DJI firmware have been compromised, and, sadly it's easy for anyone to disable them.

This must have been a fairly large drone for the pilot to even see it. Does not sound like a recreational drone, maybe a military drone?
I think a lot of pilots mistake a lot of things for drones.
Yes, I've seen videos of Mavic's flying at over 23,000 ft...
DJI needs to fix these problems before the idiots who don't care get drones banned.

Today I was out at the Wolsey fire, it's pretty close to my home and I was shooting some video of fire fighters with my video cam (on the ground!) when a young guy and his friend pulled up in a SUV, they pulled out a mavic and were going to launch! I explained that there was a TFR (what's that dude? he asked.) and so I showed him on Airmap and told him how the 100's of cops in the neighborhood would most likely react to him launching after which he decided to get back in the SUV an go somewhere else.
Too many stupid people with a UAV. At least this one listened to reason.

I am also a pilot and find it hard to believe a dji drone could do much damage to small aircraft, let alone a large one. About the same weight as a seagull, and I fly near 100s of those every day. [edited by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LARA images
I am also a pilot and find it hard to believe a dji drone could do much damage to small aircraft, let alone a large one. About the same weight as a seagull, and I fly near 100s of those every day.[edited by Moderator]

Aside from the plethora of reports and images online of aircraft damage from bird strikes, this video shows the effect of both a Phantom and a similar mass bird surrogate striking a GA aircraft wing.

Have you had any of those seagulls impact your aircraft?

I am also a pilot and find it hard to believe a dji drone could do much damage to small aircraft, let alone a large one. About the same weight as a seagull, and I fly near 100s of those every day. [edited by Moderator]

I guess comparing the dense portions (Motors, LiPo battery for instance) of the Phantom to the extremely light, brittle, and frangible parts of a bird make sense until you apply PHYSICS to the problem.

Have you seen the video of the phantom vs the airplane wing by any chance? Here let me get that for you:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's might be hard to believe but there are several of US on this forum who are also pilots and even harder to believe is that we don't have the exact same beliefs as you about sUAS strikes on aircraft.

I guess comparing the dense portions (Motors, LiPo battery for instance) of the Phantom to the extremely light, brittle, and frangible parts of a bird make sense until you apply PHYSICS to the problem.

Have you seen the video of the phantom vs the airplane wing by any chance? Here let me get that for you:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's might be hard to believe but there are several of US on this forum who are also pilots and even harder to believe is that we don't have the exact same beliefs as you about sUAS strikes on aircraft.

I have my doubts that he's really a pilot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic