Angry birds

Reaction score
I find that during my late afternoon flights I've had a few birds Have swooped my aircraft as I've intruded on their territory.
Each time I've had to aggressively maneuver away from them and retreat from their area so I can avoid hurting them. Anyone else want to share their experiences?

You opened a can of worms here... There's a handful of members here that have had the occassional kamikazi bird attack.

I myself have had only one and it was one of my first flights - had an eagle literally fly over the phantom at about 75ft up. This eagle was carrying a large branch that was hanging from his talons that I had to evade. I'll try to locate video, it was one of my first "evasive moves" w/phantom.

Crows and pigeons eye my Phantom suspiciously but keep their distance. Seagulls are a different matter altogether.

Once you get to an altitude of 20m or more, their alarm bells ring and in mass they circle around the Phantom to investigate. I'm sure that if there's a nest with chicks nearby, they wouldn't hesitate to attack if you fly too close. I had the same problem on my roof once while repairing a dish antenna. The seagulls attacked me and the repairmen because they had young chicks in a nest on the roof. I respect their concern and try to maintain a non-threatening distance. I don't want to lose my Phantom to a suicide bomber.

Here's a frame grab of a video I took that only shows one of dozens of gulls circling close by.

Attachments

• Tophane 3.jpg
    Tophane 3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 368

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj