Android vs iOS ?

Reaction score
Thinking of a tablet and there seems to a good debate on iOS vs android. I'm looking to get iPad mini 2 or a samsung tablet (tab4) so my question is will android tablet just be good enuff??? I know the mini is unquestionable so I'm asking for android information? Thanks to any lil info I can get.

Consider also the app you plan to use most of the time. The three most popular apps are DJI Go, Litchi and Autopilot.

DJI Go app seems to work well in either iOS or Android.

3rd party apps can be a mixed bag. As an example, Litchi for Android is considered stable and supports all the latest and greatest features that Litchi has to offer. The iOS version of Litchi is a totally different animal... buggy, missing several features, etc. To their defense, they originally wrote their app for Android while the iOS version was introduced at a much later time.

Autopilot is iOS only.

Consider also the app you plan to use most of the time. The three most popular apps are DJI Go, Litchi and Autopilot.

DJI Go app seems to work well in either iOS or Android.

3rd party apps can be a mixed bag. As an example, Litchi for Android is considered stable and supports all the latest and greatest features that Litchi has to offer. The iOS version of Litchi is a totally different animal... buggy, missing several features, etc. To their defense, they originally wrote their app for Android while the iOS version was introduced at a much later time.

Autopilot is iOS only.
I'm on dji go my bird is p3s I'm using android 5. Low grade samsung galaxy. Not to good yet for other apps. Just want to run dji app

I have a P3S and I use a tab 4 as my designated device. It has worked great. Occasionally, it will have a weak video feed that shows up in recording, but it only lasts for a second or two. I was using my note 4, but my phone battery would barely last one flight. Tab 4 battery last many flights between charges.

Reactions: Phantom3Chris
Not to mention, you might want to use your tablet for things other than flying. If that is the case there are so many variables nobody can answer your question. For me it is Apple all the way.

Not to mention, you might want to use your tablet for things other than flying. If that is the case there are so many variables nobody can answer your question. For me it is Apple all the way.
Nah just for flying I have iPad 2 for games and crap plus a iPod touch latest and iphone 5. Since it's just for the bird I'll go with the tab!! With all the other stuff I've read droid should be satisfing

I have a P3S and I use a tab 4 as my designated device. It has worked great. Occasionally, it will have a weak video feed that shows up in recording, but it only lasts for a second or two. I was using my note 4, but my phone battery would barely last one flight. Tab 4 battery last many flights between charges.
Are you on lollipop /kit kat ? I plan on getting the tab 4 and want to put android 5.

Keep in mind, to make full use of the app and the Phantom, you need on-device GPS and a data plan (though you can cache the maps to use later).

Keep in mind, to make full use of the app and the Phantom, you need on-device GPS and a data plan (though you can cache the maps to use later).
Also some info I was wondering.!?? Only follow me requires data plan?/ or does the Rth/p-GPS mode need it also ?

Device GPS is not required except for Follow-me mode, but it's nice to have the maps load no matter where you fly, new or old location.

Device GPS is not required except for Follow-me mode, but it's nice to have the maps load no matter where you fly, new or old location.
Ok getting tricky. Will a hot spot and open the in flight area (not take off spot) is that an easy get around? I'm new this hobby and I don't understand how maps work. I'm just getting the hang of just filming.

I am using my iPad Air for flying. Already had it before this. I have a P3S. It works great with the DJI Go app. I like that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok getting tricky. Will a hot spot and open the in flight area (not take off spot) is that an easy get around? I'm new this hobby and I don't understand how maps work. I'm just getting the hang of just filming.
You can use a hotspot [from phone] out in the field in a pinch, but it will require you switching WiFi networks on the tablet between the hotspot - to load the map of the area you are at, and the Phantom's network - for camera and settings functionality. In the Go app, you can set to cache the maps, and that way you can pre-load the maps in the area you intend to fly while at home before leaving, then when you get to the place you are going to fly, they have been cached and are ready to be used without an internet connection. Basically the hotspot is good if you have poor planning skills.

Reactions: Techcop50
I have an iPad Air 2 and a Nexus 7. The other day I was flying with the Nexus and DJI Go and every thing worked well until it didn't... the Nexus rebooted itself.

I have owned iPads for years an maybe one or two times have i had an IOS device reboot.

I prefer the user experience in IOS to the Android one, but once you are in the app (Litchi, DJI Go) the experience is fairly much the same other than the feature differences in Litchi. I understand from Litchi features will eventually be the same.

Thera are at least a couple of popular flight aps that are IOS only

Coming from using my iPhone 5S to a Galaxy Tab4...I'm loving it! Everything seems to run real smooth.

You can use a hotspot [from phone] out in the field in a pinch, but it will require you switching WiFi networks on the tablet between the hotspot - to load the map of the area you are at, and the Phantom's network - for camera and settings functionality. In the Go app, you can set to cache the maps, and that way you can pre-load the maps in the area you intend to fly while at home before leaving, then when you get to the place you are going to fly, they have been cached and are ready to be used without an internet connection. Basically the hotspot is good if you have poor planning skills.
Great to hear thanks!!

It has kit kat , 4.4.2 samsung recently did a OS update, but it still is kit kat. I've considered rooting it.
It's what I'm thinking but if it's as smooth as you say maybe I won't. Since it will only be for my bird I figure it will be smooth also. Don't intend on adding any apps.

It's what I'm thinking but if it's as smooth as you say maybe I won't. Since it will only be for my bird I figure it will be smooth also. Don't intend on adding any apps.
I've had both iOS and Android, and I stopped using hardware running android because the software glitches too often. The android machines can be spec'd better on paper but the iOS devices just work, especially over time considering the PITA of fragmentation for developers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl