Amazon Drone Unveiled

Only Jeremy Clarkson could make the whole concept seem mundane yet appealing to gadget heads,

Reactions: GoodnNuff
As with most of the truly promising commercial applications for drone, the LOS rule (which in effect keeps drones as a hobby toy with a few minor commercial applications like real estate photography and aerial cinematography) is the brick wall stopping them from being realized and the debate over that is probably the main reason why actual drone regulations have yet to come out.

With those props on the tail for speed, that's a real neet set up. Very nice :)

I see so many issues with these. Amazon is living a pipe dream.
1. Someone is going to knock this thing out of the air. Some teenager, some one.. It's gonna happen.
2. Where is it going to "deliver" your package? in the middle of a driveway? Poof, gone package stolen from driveway.
3. How is it going to deliver to Town homes or row houses?

They my do it but it won't last long.

You get A call or text a few minutes before it arrives. It only laws where it sees the Amazon landing pad. Yes they will lose a few. However, if they catch the person damaging the drone that person could be charged with felony property damage. I'm sure they will have good live cameras.

1. Someone is going to knock this thing out of the air. Some teenager, some one.. It's gonna happen.
2. Where is it going to "deliver" your package? in the middle of a driveway? Poof, gone package stolen from driveway.

My guess is that you're underestimating their resolve and ingenuity. I think they (and other companies) will make this happen and in a few years it will be common-place, not remarkable.

Reactions: Jaime Ray Vaughn
Will they operate in Kentucky where the law allows you to recklessly fire a weapon into the sky to disable the drone? o_O

These are all details. Same thing with driverless cars (and trucks) Im sure they have a team of talented people working out the details. It's going to happen. It has to happen.

It will have a very limited delivery area.
Someone could hijack a UPS delivery truck too - hasn't happened.

I'm surprised there are still people who can't fathom the reality of this.

Reactions: Reed L
Will they operate in Kentucky where the law allows you to recklessly fire a weapon into the sky to disable the drone? o_O
Don't know - deliveries will only be within 5 miles of a fulfillment center, so only in Urban areas is the word on the street.

I may be in luck for prime air since Amazon is supposed to be building 2 fulfillment centers in central Ohio. They have already announced a data center and people in Ohio are getting charged sales tax on purchases.

Just sad that they want to control a large portion of airspace that hobbyists use. Given the technology mentioned that the drone would have, I would think they can fly in the 400' - 600' altitude.

It's all a spoof to gain the Amazon brand a media presence in the run up to Christmas. And at little or no cost.

Clarkson most likely was also gratis- his PR people need the air time.

At least it's positive news. I think it can only help our cause. The thought comes to mind that the next time someone asks me what I am doing while I'm flying is to tell them I am practicing for becoming an Amazon package delivery pilot (tongue in cheek).

If Amazon actually did get regulations rewritten that they would have the 200 to 400 foot altitudes, hobbyists should insist that they not be allowed to operate under 200 feet. Meaning they can't land.

Might be fun to play chicken with it, or see how long you can keep it from landing by flying your own drone in its way. I can see a lot of aerial games taking place around it. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik