Amazing Crash and Recovery

Reaction score
I was doing some nap of the earth flying on a Litchi Mission. When out of nowhere a tree jumped in front of the drone. When it hit the tree it hung there for just a few seconds. I started to put the controller down, thinking I needed to drive over and pick up the pieces, until when I saw movement on the screen. It fell free, tried to right itself, bounced on the ground and then recovered and went into a hover. I was very surprised it didn't drift back into the tree. Suddenly I realized I had control again. The Litchi mission must have cancelled. I immediately gained altitude and made a beeline for home about 3/4s of a mile away.

So lessons learned; 1) no more low level flights, especially if there are people nearby. 2) check, recheck, and check again the data and inputs you use to create a Litchi mission. I know why it hit the tree and the bad math I used to plan the route. One important note, when you do curved turns in Litchi it is coplanar with the three points that define the curve. So not only does it "cut the corner" horizontally, it does so on a tilted plane as well. In other words if the apex of the curve is the high point it will not reach the intended height, and then trees will jump in front of you.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great video. You are very lucky.

Could try manually flying the route recording way points at each spot. (tap drone icon on map at each spot).

Never heard of such an instant recovery. You are very lucky. Plan better missions in future.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Wow. I wonder if that recovery maneuver is a specific Litchi function. If so, I've got to get that app!:D

Wow! I can't believe that baby on was on the ground and then got back up! That's awesome! But I would def say that your Litchi Mission was overall a little too low in altitude for sure. Neat spot btw!

Beyond the interesting fact that it somehow managed to recover after crashing, which is pretty amazing, I would also say that flying over people like that is probably not a good idea -- what if it crashed into one of them? Flying an automated mission in the close proximity to people should be a 100% nogo 100% of the time. Now, if you had flown manually and did so away from people then no problem.

Brian

I had this exact same recovery today, when like a total fool I went sideways into a tree, dropped to the ground, and bounced straight back up again. No Litchi involved in my case, I was rotating around a central point shooting video.

All seems ok except a slight crack on one of the landing gear, and one of the little access hatches at the top of one of the landing gear flew off (I found and replaced it, but it no longer sits so flush).

I've done everything recommended in a post crash checklist found elsewhere in these forums except fly the drone again. I'll do that tomorrow hopefully.

The tree got away with a slight haircut.

Reactions: Uavenue
Beyond the interesting fact that it somehow managed to recover after crashing, which is pretty amazing, I would also say that flying over people like that is probably not a good idea -- what if it crashed into one of them? Flying an automated mission in the close proximity to people should be a 100% nogo 100% of the time. Now, if you had flown manually and did so away from people then no problem.

Brian
Yes, if you cared to read my original post the number one lessened learned was not to fly automated missions close to people. but thanks for the reminder. It's too bad some people love to hate. Maybe it makes them feel good to put others down.

Yes, if you cared to read my original post the number one lessened learned was not to fly automated missions close to people. but thanks for the reminder. It's too bad some people love to hate. Maybe it makes them feel good to put others down.
People on drone forums LOVE to drone police people into the ground. :/

It's all good Rapfile. You learned some good stuff here in this case. Especially some Litchi tips for sure. We all or most all of us have done something a little wrong at some point early on with our drones. But Raptorman is a good dude and has helped many here in this forum and on Youtube with his camera testing etc. and was just trying to say what he said in a nice way. Believe me you will hear way worse in these forums! LOL. It's just the way that it comes off sounding in type that makes it so hard to take. I get it. But it's all good buddy. We live and we learn for sure. Happy flying and Happy New Year!

Reactions: Rapfife
On my similar recovery I flew again briefly this evening and had an uneven horizon for the first time- the drone was side on to some pretty high winds at the time though, so it could just as easily be that.

I don't feel his comment was at all hateful or putting you down. He has no insults or put downs in his comments. You might be reading into a bit to much. Just a neutral observation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31