Always hand spin your motors before take-off.

Reed,

It's the front left looking from the back of the bird but you already knew that. ;) We'll see how she holds up.

Jerry
Yea, but like I said, I thought it was the front right, so I was wrong... But you can hear the pitch change as you're coming off of the left motor but there's no distinguishing between left and right here on this audio and that's why I initially thought it was on the right. Either way, you can easily hear the difference from the back end. I ran machinery for a living, so listening for and hearing tone differences is what I instinctively use to fix problems before they happen. Honestly, I would still change out the bearing eventually, after a few more test flights. :)

I just spun am my motors to check! (Phantom 3A 1 week old - still good to check) motors all seem to feel free and all have the same resistance bar 1 (back left) which sounds a little raspier... When I spin the other 3 they sound clean and have the usual high pitched whine but the other one sounds lower and as if something is stuck in it...

The bird flies fine so should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

James,

That should still be under warranty. It doesn't sound good to me. I'm just testing here, I wouldn't take the chance with that one. Send it back, replace the bearings or replace the motor. I wouldn't do too many flights if mine sounded like that. Just my opinion, of course.

Jerry

James,

That should still be under warranty. It doesn't sound good to me. I'm just testing here, I wouldn't take the chance with that one. Send it back, replace the bearings or replace the motor. I wouldn't do too many flights if mine sounded like that. Just my opinion, of course.

Jerry
I spoke to my local dealer who said it could have happened when I flew on the beach and got a bit of sand stuck. I'm going to try and clean the motor with a can of air and see if that does anything. There's no resistance differences between the motors just noise.

If it still makes a noise they said bring it in :)

Sounds like a good plan, James. Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

Jerry
I'm hopefully getting the can of air today so I will let you know how it goes :)

Just really get to know your bird.

Finally got a few flights in on the "oiled" bird. 9 batteries through it so far (running them down to about 30%). So far so good. When everything is cold, you can pick out the suspect motor. I've had my wife "hand turn" them a few times when she wasn't paying attention and she can pick it out. If I fire up the motors for a minute or so (in the house, without props), they're all the same. She can't pick it out randomly and neither can I but I know which one it is, she doesn't. No additional heat after flights. All motors are relatively cool upon landing. Maybe that'll change as the weather heats up. Supposed to be a good week, maybe I'll get to burn off a few more batteries. Just keeping those interested updated.

Jerry

How'd you make out, Jake?

Jerry
Got the can of air yesterday (super busy weekend) fired it into the motor and spun it as I fired the air to try and dislodge anything.

Unfortunately it still sounds like it's grinding. So I'm going to take it into the shot I bought it from (official DJI retailer) and they said they can sort it.

Just a pain really!

Unfortunately it still sounds like it's grinding. So I'm going to take it into the shot I bought it from (official DJI retailer) and they said they can sort it.

James,

Well, hopefully they'll get it sorted out and you'll be in the air again soon! Better safe than sorry, this ain't no toy. Good luck! Let me know how you make out.

Jerry

Another update. Did a couple of good long distance runs this morning on the "oiled" motors. First one was about 6 1/2 miles, 3 1/4 each way. Second flight was a total of 38,101' (7.22 miles), the furthest distance from Home Point was 17,068' (3.23 miles). Wind was light, temp about 45F. Motors felt good upon return. Just "hand" spun them a few minutes ago and you can hardly tell the difference anymore. Could be the warm weather but so far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and keeping a very close eye on everything. I'm going to look everything over carefully right now.

Jerry

ld-run02-38102-jpg.52582

Reactions: Reed L
Got the run done. All went very well. Upon landing checked each motor. None hotter than the other.

Jerry

Did you take their temperature rectally or......?[emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Just kidding.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Maybe check it with this.

GT,

I gotcha, Man but I think you're missing the point of this thread. There are a lot of very technical and experienced people here. They have much more knowledge than I'll ever possess about this subject. I'm just a Joe. I've got to make stuff work. I've got to invest myself in whatever I'm doing and make the best decisions that I can to solve any potential problems. Sometimes we learn too much and we never get anything done. The whole basis of human ingenuity, risk vs. reward. I know I'm taking some risk here but I believe that I know my bird. So far, based on results, I'm holding my own. That could change with my very next flight and if it does, I'll share it with everyone. Hopefully, I'll get another shot this evening. I'm giving the bird a good lookover and waiting for the wind to die down a bit. I'm going to "feel" my way through this and see what happens. :)

Jerry

Update. Some motor screws were a bit looser than I remembered, everything else was solid. The screw heads are starting to deform the strongarm holes. A very small flat washer might help but I don't have any that small. I inspected everything and snugged up the motors. I'm hoping to make another run yet tonight. It all depends on the wind.

Jerry

2nd Update. Decided to put a smidge of blue Loctite on all of the motor mount screws. Just the motor mount screws, metal to metal. Not on any of the screws that go into the plastic. Again, just waiting on the wind. I've got about an hour, then it's done.

Jerry

IMG_6231.JPG

Reactions: mikesmiley
Excellent blog. You have knack for communicating opinion regarding mechanical problems. I come from the same school, been building and restoring vintage Harley's and about anything that crosses my hands. I also am a retired instrument/electronics tech. No matter how technical the bird is - it is still a machine with most of the same mechanical features that were around when the Wright Bros. we're flying their machine. Short of it....use your head and gut instincts. I appreciate your thoughts and ideas,keep it up.

Reactions: Jtrjr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj