Aluminum quick release hubs

Reaction score
I backed my phantom into a tree branch and a prop broke in half. Climbed up and got it with no other damage. When I took the broke prop off the replace it the plastic quick release hum broke. So I went on to Amazon and ordered new plastic ones, but I also found aluminum one and was wondering if they would be better, the plastic seems week. Here is a link to them https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RHY3P...&colid=2VVVHLJI3AJY2&coliid=IS9RDSPOFUURB&me=

Has anyone tried this?

Aluminium...... Metal fatigue?
Also agree with above post, probably better that the plastic mounts break than end up with a bent motor shaft. Kind of like a crumple zone in a car.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
When we were designing the Phantom Rain Wet Suits for the Phantom we considered adding these to increase the strength of the props so if we got into a tangle of some branches , the props would not pop right off , but rather it would back the drone off and allow it to continue flying.

With that said the problem we had was that the inside of the Props were Plastic and the tabs that are inside of the Props were so fragile that you can pry them off with just your finger nail.
See Picture below as to how thin these clips that hold the props on really are.

So these base Aluminum plates were not the answer to locking in the props so we designed the Prop Covers that added a very thin layer of neoprene to the inside of the Prop itself to strengthen the bond of the inside of the prop locking it on tighter and stopping the rain water from getting inside of the drone.

This proved to be very beneficial in many ways. The first being that we did not have to worry about the props wearing and flying off . Second that we could get thu so tough areas to fly, branches and twigs and such without the worry of them just popping off.

But nothing stopped the blades from cracking when they came to a rock and hard place and we were finewith that.

Below you can see a picture of the inside of the Prop itself and how weak the clips are , how thin they are , and how they give away very easily.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.39.22 AM.png

You can also see in the other picture the Prop Cover and how it sinks inside of the prop cover giving it a really good lock while protecting the integrity of the motor and the drone.

We wanted every chance to get the drone back to safety , and if by chance the drone motor gets damaged that is better than the drone crashing into the ground because it lost a prop hitting a tree.

The rings on the bottom provide a roof for the water to drip off of and over the drone while keeping the vent open at
the bottom.

The other weak link on the drone are the Leg Clips and we have seen many posting how they fall off and so the Leg Wraps were designed to keep the clips on tight by wrapping and them and providing water protection to the electronics inside.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.36.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.29.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.30.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 3.31.21 AM.png

Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org

Unless its a fast rain storm and i got caught in it...I would get my drone out of the air ASAP period then i would seek cover and not under a tree !.....i personally would not fly ever on purpose in a rain storm and stand their becoming a place for a BIG BOLT of Lightning to ~~~~~~Strike My RC unit and me taking the path of a zillion volts to ground by burning big holes in my shoes ! any body that risks their life and stands their in a rain storm is asking for danger while flying your drone..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164