Cheap Antenna Mod

Are you not already seeing farther than you can go with your 5.8 ?
I mean when I first put on a 700 I would lose control before FPV .

I can get about 1300 feet with the RE700 in an open field. I have never lost RC control so I don't know what the limit is.

I can get about 1300 feet with the RE700 in an open field. I have never lost RC control so I don't know what the limit is.
I was getting over 3000' with mine before I would lose 5.8 and still have FPV .
If you have a 700 on a Vision I'm pretty sure you are pointing the extender correctly . Something don't sound right .
Extender fully powered up ,You just put this on...need a little more info . Just how far you want to go ?
Also do you have a aftermarket gimbal on the Vision .

I was getting over 3000' with mine before I would lose 5.8 and still have FPV .
If you have a 700 on a Vision I'm pretty sure you are pointing the extender correctly . Something don't sound right .
Extender fully powered up ,You just put this on...need a little more info . Just how far you want to go ?
Also do you have a aftermarket gimbal on the Vision .
No aftermarket gimbal (yet).

It may be an altitude thing. I typically stay below 200' for better photography and because I am a nervous nelly. There are often traffic helicopters buzzing around.

How far do I want to go? Not alot further. Maybe 2000' (see above comment). I find that if I use VR mode and goggles with Litchi that I can fly much further away comforatably. The problem is latency from the bird to me with the FPV and the fact that VR requires 640x480 preview. And as soon as I loose FPV, I panic because I know I won't get it back until the bird is near by. So it is really to increase the comfort of being at the ranges I use (~1500ft) knowing I won't loose FPV even if I loose direct line of sight.

You will go farther with the preview quality set way lower .That's one of your problems .Mine is on 320x240....30fps .
I don't mess with other apps so no help there .
I also don't use goggles so again no help there ether...sorry .

I was only getting about another 200' with 320x240. Once you try VR mode, though, you'll never go back. Android phone, Litch, and $20 goggles from China is all it takes. My wife is embarassed to be seen with me, but it has been that way for 30 years so I am used to it.

Last edited:
Wait, did I just read your footer right? No wonder you have long range with the Stage 3 FPVLR antennas.

Dirk's long range with his current setup is 8500', I believe.

If I may cut in, IMO, that amazon deal might work or at least put you in the right direction. You will probably need different antennas though. I was messing around with those linear antennas on my RE700 a few weeks ago and the FPV range was horrible. But if you did that mod, at least you'd have antenna options.

Another idea is to use the Litchi app. It's pretty awesome. It's got an FPV booster built in which you can initiate, and that will definitely add FPV range.

Hope this helps.

I use the Litchi app with boost enabled. I also use VR and goggles with it so I need 640x480 preview which hurts range. I am looking for 500-800 feet of added range. Not too much, but enough to get around the park and lakes by me.

Last edited:
This weekend without the new antennas, I achieved 1700' range at 300' altitude. Line of sight at the end was blocked by trees. The cheapos are enroute and should arrive by Wednesday. Hopefully I can get them in before the weekend and try out the same flight. If that works well, I'll try a more open area.

So the cheap antennas came today. They came as a pair, but I only installed one. I'll have to wait for the weekend to try it out (thanks daylight savings time).
2015-11-03 20.22.13.jpg 2015-11-03 20.22.52.jpg 2015-11-03 20.25.31.jpg 2015-11-03 20.34.09.jpg

Please post your results. Seems like an easy mod. Curious if this helps with signal strength when you don't have line of site.

@howardpin that is the plan. The flight plan will be exactly as I did above. 300' altitude, goes about 1000' with line of sight, then blocked by woods. With the stock RE700 I got about 1700' using a preview of 640x480x30 frames per second.

I will also try some flights at 400', and reduce the frame rate to 15 fps. I need the 640x480 because I fly with Litchi's VR mode and google carboard goggles.

So, cheap products bring mediocre results.

@ 300' and 640x480x30 preview.

Stock RE700: 1700'
Modified Antenna (oriented verically): 1700'

Reorienting the antenna horizontally did make a difference.

Stock: 1700'
Modified 1900'

Increasing the altitude to 400' increased the range to 2100'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic