Altitude calibration?

Reaction score
New pilot here, Phantom 2. Noticed today that when I launched, on the ground the altitude would fluctuate from 0 to 5 feet and in the air it was noticeably off, 10' would read 20' or so. I would hover 2' off the ground and it would read 10+' in the air. Now I did launch in a field about 150' above sea level. Does this effect it or is there a calibration that I should be doing? Need to know due to I will be filming 10' above sea level following canoes on the ocean. Since at a distance and using the monitor mostly it's kinda important.

New pilot here, Phantom 2. Noticed today that when I launched, on the ground the altitude would fluctuate from 0 to 5 feet and in the air it was noticeably off, 10' would read 20' or so. I would hover 2' off the ground and it would read 10+' in the air. Now I did launch in a field about 150' above sea level. Does this effect it or is there a calibration that I should be doing? Need to know due to I will be filming 10' above sea level following canoes on the ocean. Since at a distance and using the monitor mostly it's kinda important.

The barometer in the P2 NAZA has always had this issue, something to do with having a stripped down NAZA to reduce costs.

A good fix is to restart the quad after it has started up, this usually fixes the issue, or at least gives a better reading.

I wouldn’t however trust the altitude enough to fly low to the ground if it’s out of LOS due to the unpredictability of it

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome .

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question in the appropriate section where more members will read it. This area is for introductions only and will not be read much by members that can help you.

If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling.

If you haven't already done so, please consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members are from all parts of the world.

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Sixty Nine..you might find it important to know, that the "Altitude" your Phantom shows is actually a number calculated from barometric pressure. It really has nothing to do with the actual position of the ground (OR WATER) underneath your bird.

Weather conditions notwithstanding, barometric pressure has to do with the weight of all the air above you weighing down on you. Think of it as a stack of air from the ground up to the sky. That stack of air is heaviest at ground level, and becomes slightly lighter as you move up, IE the stack above you becomes slightly shorter.

At sea level that stack of air theoretically weighs 14.7 pounds per square inch. (Barometric Pressure) Your bird measures that pressure and calculates around about, maybe, possibly, it thinks, somewhere in the vicinity of where sea level is.

Weather conditions affect the barometric pressure too, but the bird does not use that information to make any corrections. The bird 'altitude' is more useful to tell if you are 100 feet above land or 250 feet above land. And it is better used as a relative measure rather than absolute.

IE: if on the ground, it reads 10 feet , then when it reads 30 feet you are probably pretty close to 20 feet up.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Phantom Pilots from Dayton Ohio, Fly safe and have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik