all over in ten minuites

.....flip upside down and fly into the field still upside down. ......
This suggests a propulsion issue such as a broken prop or motor problem. To diagnose this you will have to retrieve the .DAT from the P3 itself. Look here to see how to do that (there is help on retrieving the right .DAT). It will be large and can't be posted here so you'll need to Dropbox or GoogleDive it and post a link.

Reactions: RodPad
the next thing I saw was the drone lift into the air to around 5 m then flip upside down and fly into the field still upside down. my son dident seem to do anything to cause this. needles to say he was extremely upset as what he had saved up for for ages was now wrecked. ( gimbal and wiring is what I could see)
I have returned the drone to dji for them to look at and was hoping for some good will if it was not pilot error.
today I have received a quote from dji for £296 to repair with no explanation of what caused the crash.
The flight data indicates no control inputs that would have caused or contributed to the crash.
The only joystick inputs prior to the crash were a gentle touch of aileron for 0.3 seconds followed by little left rudder right when the Phantom lost it.
Al the error messages in the log are due to crashing into the ground and not an indication of why it did.

Thanks you guys!

So I guess since DJI has the P3S, and they now have the only access to the .dat file.

I think, DJI needs to come up with a proof of pilot error for the op.

Please only professional thoughts / post of what the op should do or not. ;)

Rod

Thanks for all your input so far, it looks like what I saw is backed up by the data.
as stated the drone is with dji .
I sent them an email questioning the repair bill and I've had a response saying that they wanted the data which I have hopefully sent along with a form, ill keep you up to date although I'm going to be away for a couple of days.
thanks again all !

@callums dad
"I have hopefully sent along with a form"
So you sent the flight log with now a new emailed forum?

Dji has the Phantom, my thoughts are they already have the most important data. I call it the on-board black box.

I, and I'm sure others would like to see the email response, to us its more important data!

@Oso
Yes I agree,
But, we really don't know anything about their personal world.
The son ended up uploading the flight log.

I'm always impressed with your knowledge and input.
Whats your thoughts on this crash?

Rod

Thanks for all your input so far, it looks like what I saw is backed up by the data.
as stated the drone is with dji .
I sent them an email questioning the repair bill and I've had a response saying that they wanted the data which I have hopefully sent along with a form, ill keep you up to date although I'm going to be away for a couple of days.
thanks again all !

Could you please tell us if you were missing a propeller when you recovered the drone?

Were the propellers intact?

Thank you.

@Oso I'm always impressed with your knowledge and input. Whats your thoughts on this crash?
My take is aligned with the earlier comment about it being consistent with a propulsion issue such as a broken/lost prop or a motor problem. That is what I always think first when a "flip" is mentioned as it was in this case.

My take is aligned with the earlier comment about it being consistent with a propulsion issue such as a broken/lost prop or a motor problem. That is what I always think first when a "flip" is mentioned as it was in this case.
Thanks!
"flip", a keyword!
Its never happened to me, but duh, yes, I can see it now.:eek::rolleyes:.

Somehow my mind skipped over the "propulsion issue" statement :rolleyes:

Rod

Could you please tell us if you were missing a propeller when you recovered the drone?

Were the propellers intact?

Thank you.
Hum, good question!
Duh yes, I totally missed the "flip" concept. :rolleyes:

@callums dad,
We would all like to know the answer to his question.
DJI has the Phantom and the data, so if comes down to a prop coming loose, it's most likely not going to be covered.

Rod

Hi all.
ive saved the email from dji requesting me to send the data and an analysis form but couldn't upload it ?
I get a message saying " the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension" I could do with knowing how to do this so I can keep you all up to date with any correspondence. sorry if this seems a bit tedious, but I did say I struggle with this type of thing.
in answer to the prop question they were all intact after the crash with one losing a blade on impact.
ive asked dji to confirm they received the form and data , I'm waiting on a reply.
regards , Craig

Reactions: DougAles
Hi all.
ive saved the email from dji requesting me to send the data and an analysis form but couldn't upload it ?
I get a message saying " the uploaded file does not have an allowed extension" I could do with knowing how to do this so I can keep you all up to date with any correspondence. sorry if this seems a bit tedious, but I did say I struggle with this type of thing.
in answer to the prop question they were all intact after the crash with one losing a blade on impact.
ive asked dji to confirm they received the form and data , I'm waiting on a reply.
regards , Craig

So it didn't lose a prop. As @BudWalker said above, we need the DAT file to figure it out.

Reactions: DougAles
Hi all.
regards , Craig
I guess I'm not sure what file you are trying to upload. Does it have a .DAT extension (that's capital DAT)? If so you'll have to use something like DropBox or GoogleDrive and post a link.

Reactions: RonanC
Sorry, it wasn't very clear to you, the .dat file is on the Phantom only, you would have had to retrieve it before you sent it in to DJI.

What you posted here was a text file, .txt, It should be send able via email, what are you trying to send it with? Laptop, tablet, etc.

Rod

all I was trying to post was the email reply from dji ? I saved it to documents on my laptop but got the error message when I tried to upload it here . I understand the dat file is with the drone , thats why I said I guess I'm in their hands. ive had another email from dji saying that they have received the data and have passed the case on to an engineer . ill keep you all updated.
regards. Craig.

Wow that's so bad. My drone dropped from 60 feet and totally smashed, camera got ripped off was the worst bit but shell and landing legs had to be replaced also. DJI only charged me £90 for it. £40 was the parts and £50 for the labour so I really am interested as to how DJI can give you that price quote. Did you ask for a break down? I really wouldn't accept that. As soon as you get the break down of what needs replacing, order them parts and then get someone to fix if for you. Shouldn't costs more then £100 max

I'm not sure what happened. I can say that I always launch my drone after I hear that the "Home Point is Updated". Then I bring it up to head-height-plus-3' and check several things ...
- stability (to see if the compass settings are working)
- image latency from camera (checking communicatons)
- altitude reading (for correctness)
- stick controls (to see responsiveness)

If any of these tests fail, I bring the drone back down and restart. If needed, I recalibrate the compass or wait to launch until I get at least 10+ satelites (vs. 8) connecting to my drone.

I also recommend that anyone who talks about getting into flying drones at the DJI level either has strong computer skills or have someone who agrees to partner with them. Keeping software (iPhone, iPad device) and firmware (DJI controller and drone) up-to-date and at a consistent level across all equipment is critical.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures