Airmap and KPIT (Pittsburgh) Class B

Reaction score
I hold an FAA Part 107 certification, but probably like many who also went through this training, I'm still a bit confused about the complexity of Class B airspaces.

Here's an example...

I was asked to get a few aerial establishing shots of facility near Pittsburgh. Looking at the charts for KPIT, the building is clearly in a Class B airspace. The Airmap app, which I also use as a reference, also shows this.

However, I noticed recently that the Airmap app now show more "sections" of airspace (when you choose FAA Part 107 as a mission rule). Meaning, it just doesn't show one shape for an airspace, but rather multiple shapes that make up the whole. Each of those shapes appears to have it's own set of rules for safe flying height.

Look at figure 1. The red dot is obviously in a no fly zone, and the warning box shows that FAA authorization is required for any flight.

Now in figure 2, the red dot is in an area of the Class B where it appears that safe flying is possible below 100 feet.

And in figure 3, the red dot is in an outer area of the Class B where it appears 400 feet is the limit.

Now I realize that the Airmap app isn't an official source of information, but it can be interpreted that when flying in figure 2 and 3, you are able to fly provided you stay under the area's height limit.

Of course, I don't believe this to be true, but if it's not, why would Airmap assign height limits to the various sections of a Class B airspace? Are these numbers and complex section grids coming from the FAA? Is this the first step to let us fly more freely in such a controlled airspace?

The part I find confusing is if you look at the "official" VFR chart for KPIT, all these areas I pointed out in figures 1, 2, and 3 are in the SFC/80 (surface to 8,000 feet) no fly zone (Class B area A).

airmap-0ft.jpg

airmap-100ft.jpg

airmap-400ft.jpg

Last edited:
Check out these links:

UAS Facility Maps

ArcGIS Web Application

First link is the FAA's page on requesting waivers/authorizations. They are working on providing information to commercial drone users that allows airspace authorizations to be quickly approved or denied. The second link is a map showing the grids and corresponding altitudes that are likely to be approved. The grid for KPIT seems to line up pretty well with the maps you provided in your post.

Hope this is helpful, Zac.

Check out these links:

UAS Facility Maps

ArcGIS Web Application

First link is the FAA's page on requesting waivers/authorizations. They are working on providing information to commercial drone users that allows airspace authorizations to be quickly approved or denied. The second link is a map showing the grids and corresponding altitudes that are likely to be approved. The grid for KPIT seems to line up pretty well with the maps you provided in your post.

Hope this is helpful, Zac.

Ahh, that makes sense. So you still need permission in those grids, but are likely to get approved if your request is at or below those heights.

That's my understanding. Also, it's been my experience that its helpful to remember the people that you end up working with on these requests. I've had a couple instances where I've had to reach back out to the person at the FAA that worked on a previous authorization and they ended up helping push my next request through faster. Good luck.

That's my understanding. Also, it's been my experience that its helpful to remember the people that you end up working with on these requests. I've had a couple instances where I've had to reach back out to the person at the FAA that worked on a previous authorization and they ended up helping push my next request through faster. Good luck.

Thanks. One more question. Once an FAA airspace authorization is given, do I still need to tell the tower? I get the impression that towers, especially at larger airports, don't want to be bothered with sUAS pilots.

I typically call when let the tower know when and where I am flying, as well as the fact that I have an authorization. Give them your cell number so they can contact you if necessary during your flight. I just looked at my authorization for a local airport, which requires me to be available for contact while flying. Better to be annoying and provide your info to the tower than to have some emergency fly away or something and you never called.

I think airports, or at least KPIT, still aren't sure themselves what the procedures are for drones. When I called this morning before I posted here, I got forwarded to three different people. The last person said, "I think you need a waiver." Which, is wrong, I need an authorization.

That's when I gave up and started to do some research myself, which landed me here in this thread.

I'm sure there are people in the tower or at airport operations that know the drill, but there are also those that don't. So, it's a crap shoot on whether you'll get someone who knows or not.

I think airports, or at least KPIT, still aren't sure themselves what the procedures are for drones. When I called this morning before I posted here, I got forwarded to three different people. The last person said, "I think you need a waiver." Which, is wrong, I need an authorization.

That's when I gave up and started to do some research myself, which landed me here in this thread.

I'm sure there are people in the tower or at airport operations that know the drill, but there are also those that don't. So, it's a crap shoot on whether you'll get someone who knows or not.

Either a waiver or an authorization would work, so the information you received was certainly incomplete. Not entirely wrong though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94