Airline Travel With P4 Batteries

Reaction score
I will be traveling domestically in the US soon with my Phantom 4 and two spare batteries. I have a Case brand Wheeled hard case.

I have read conflicting information both from Delta Airlines and the TSA outlining how one may travel with batteries.

One of the problems is that I am aware of the difference between a lithium battery and a Lipo battery. I have found nothing to address lipo batteries specifically.

I would like to have a conversation with somebody on the forum who is actually traveled with their drone and spare batteries. How did you handle it?

I haven't actually traveled with them but many airlines will permit LiPo batteries in carry on bags. They restrict them in checked bags because of the fire risk. Here is an FAA link but the carrier may restrict you more (quantity or not allow). It's not a TSA issue because it isn't security, it's an FAA issue because it's a hazardous material.

Hope this helps. You can always call the carrier and ask them. It may be buried on their site.

I would like to have a conversation with somebody on the forum who is actually traveled with their drone and spare batteries. How did you handle it?

I would agree with SOCPilot and add ---- do some searches on this forum as there are a lot of posts on the exact subject matter you are enquiring about. For certain the LiPos must be in LiPo safe bags (one per bag) and are carry-on luggage. There are too many temperature and pressure fluctuations in the cargo hold of the plane to risk having the LiPo's there.

th

One of the problems is that I am aware of the difference between a lithium battery and a Lipo battery. I have found nothing to address lipo batteries specifically
A LiPo battery is a type of lithium ion battery. These are different from Lithium metal batteries.
Here's Delta's policy: Batteries
It's just like all the other airline's policies which are all based on FAA guidelines.

People fly with these every day of the week with no issues.
Just make sure that your batteries are in your carry-on luggage.

For certain the LiPos must be in LiPo safe bags (one per bag) and are carry-on luggage.
Although this is mentioned in the forum all the time, no-one at the airport or on the plane will ask or care about Lipo bags.
They have probably never heard of them and no airline mentions them in their rules for lithium batteries.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Although this is mentioned in the forum all the time, no-one at the airport or on the plane will ask or care about Lipo bags.
They have probably never heard of them and no airline mentions them in their rules for lithium batteries.

True enough with regard to LiPo safe bags - I should have clarified they must be packed separately with terminals insulated - up here for air travel domestic or international, Transport Canada classifies "Lithium" as "dangerous goods" when it comes to transporting them and states....................

Lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries
You are permitted to carry personal electronic devices for your own use that are powered by lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries in your carry-on baggage. Each installed or spare battery must not exceed:

A lithium content of 2 grams or less for lithium metal batteries
  • A watt-hour rating of 100 Wh or less for lithium ion batteries.
Spare batteries must be carried in your carry-on baggage. They must be individually protected to prevent short circuiting by placing them in the original retail packaging or by insulating the terminals by taping over them or by placing each battery or cell in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch.

With the approval of the airline, you can carry no more than two spare lithium ion batteries with a rating over 100 Wh but less than 160 Wh.

I haven't actually traveled with them but many airlines will permit LiPo batteries in carry on bags. They restrict them in checked bags because of the fire risk. Here is an FAA link but the carrier may restrict you more (quantity or not allow). It's not a TSA issue because it isn't security, it's an FAA issue because it's a hazardous material.

Hope this helps. You can always call the carrier and ask them. It may be buried on their site.
Thanks for the response. Delta Airlines gave limited information and was not confidence inspiring. They did refer me to the TSA website which spelled out a variation of what I heard elsewhere. 30% charge and carry on.

All a moot point now since our trip was shortened and I won't have time for a photo shoot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers