Aircraft out of range warning

Reaction score
Hey guys bought p3A factory refurbished drone from dicksmiths . Took for first flight and left it on beginner mode , but when flying it , it would occasionally say aircraft out of range . Should I ignore this?

Hey guys bought p3A factory refurbished drone from dicksmiths . Took for first flight and left it on beginner mode , but when flying it , it would occasionally say aircraft out of range . Should I ignore this?
It's a bit difficult to tell what the issue is but the recorded flight data should make things clear.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Try flying it "out of Beginner" mode and see if the message still appears?

Reactions: umanbean
It's a bit difficult to tell what the issue is but the recorded flight data should make things clear.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Thanks meta never done that before I guess I will have to get on my computer to down load from my phone from the instructions I read , but I don’t get it if it’s already on my phone?

Thanks meta never done that before I guess I will have to get on my computer to down load from my phone from the instructions I read , but I don’t get it if it’s already on my phone?
It's the way to share the flight data so others can see it and comment.
It only takes a minute.
The actual data is encrypted but Phantomhelp decrypts it and formats it in an easy to understand report.

Never ignore nothing your drone is saying,simple to full scale alert,
Mayby it was to do with beginner mode being on with drone outside that limit ?? Even unsure on that cause in that mode it restricted to range,mayby your flying close to that point and it notified your

Last edited by a moderator:
Try flying it "out of Beginner" mode and see if the message still appears?

I'd go with that suggestion... never used beginner mode on my first one, don't see the point really

Reactions: 3rdof5
Beginner mode and it’s all good. I just on that mode as my maiden flight and was close to trees

Reactions: Ron_Dog
I always assumed that the model was locked into NOT exceeding the beginner radius distance from take-off point ? That it would hit an invisible barrier and not go further ...

Maybe its a warning that model is very close to / at that limit ...

What we need and is easier than the Flight Log ... is a quote of the reading on screen ...

Distance from Home point ... altitude etc. as its my gut feeling - its the beginner mode selected that's doing it.

The Flight Log of course gives a far greater detailed event sequence as it lists every few seconds or so ..

As another says - I don't really see the point of beginner mode ...

Nigel

As another says - I don't really see the point of beginner mode ...

And another also says - even if the limits were 100' out and a 100' up, that wouldn't stop a beginner from flying into a car or house or whatnot, nor prevent lodging the bird in the crown of a 70' tall pine ;)

Last edited:
And another also says - even if the limits were 100' out and a 100' up, that wouldn't stop a beginner from flying into a car or house or whatnot, nor prevent lodging the bird in the crown of a 70' tall pine ;)

Despite my not believing in Beginner mode ... I can see that it may stop a new owner letting it get away from them .... as we know orientation is one of the biggest killers of RC flying ............

Still - millions of RC flyers around the world learnt without range restrictions ...

Nigel

Just thinking....nigal have you ever passed a person standing by you thats never EVER flown a RC plane the RC unit of a loved RC plane and ....with no buddy box attached ?...no mention of the buddy box that RC clubs have for the prospective future RC owner ! I was on one with my 1st RC plane as i sure did not want to put my BIG Rc plane back in kit form ( crashed n in tiny pieces like inside the box when i bought it )
I have put people that want to give my Drone flight a try in "beginner mode" and i don't have to worry about what they are going to do with my drone....recently i passed the RC unit to a 5 year old grand daughter and yes i was sure RC was in "beginner mode" and she has a blast with NO worries from me...now pass a loved RC plane to a 5 year old with No Buddy Box and see what happens !
A Buddy box in the RC world connects one RC to the other RC.....one can only fly the plane and IF that person get in trouble the
other person can TAKE control and bring it back to safety....then allow the other person to take control once again !

we don't have that with our low priced and High priced Drones.......How ever Yaaaaaaaa we have "Beginner Mode" !

When i got my Drone.....i flew it in " beginner mode" and got my flight confidence UP to par....Don't forget im also a radio control flyer
too....The Drone was a BIG jump of what i can do once airborne....Not like a plane forward -------> " all the time" !

I'm glad that beginner mode is available and its a great thing to use to allow some body to fly the drone with No high blood
pressure worry's ! ....yes put that new person on the RC in beginner mode and let them have a B l a s t !

Just be sure the wires trees homes..cars .. "people"... and any thing else is way way beyond the outer limits of the restrictions of
" beginner mode " !..and let them enjoy the great world that a drone has to offer !

I dunno @MotorCycle-Man I wouldnt trust my AC in the hands of a newbie even in beginner mode. Its being close to the ground where all the obstacles are. You can get in just as much trouble in beginner mode.

Reply to motorcycle-man :

For many years I actually taught people to fly RC back in UK ... in fact one guy I taught actually went on to be placed 3rd in the World Champs Formula 40 Pylon race meeting at Reno (the class later got renamed and amalgamated with another).

I am well aware of the Buddy Box system ... I used to have two Futaba M series specifically for that ... they coupled by the standard multi pin DIN audio cable ... no fancy tricks or other.

Given that the Phantom is a self-righting hovering machine if you let go the sticks - I am of the opinion that Beginner mode is an extra that is not essential to learn to fly one.

IF as you say you are an RC flyer as well - you would know that general RC flying is completely different and harder act than a P3 !! I would not be as concerned giving a P3 to a novice to fly as i would with a normal RC ... In all honesty - I have never seen anything so easy to fly !!

If a person considers Beginner Mode is needed ... fair enough - their choice. But what does it really do ? Does it save the model - No. Does it restrict manoeuvres - No. It puts range and height limits on the flight area - that is all.
As 3rdof5 says ... ground is still there ! And another said - trees and others can be within that range .. and as another says ... Beginner Mode is best an open field nothing to hit !

I fully accept that my viewpoint is not universal and others will have theirs ... that's fine.

Nigel

I dunno @MotorCycle-Man I wouldnt trust my AC in the hands of a newbie even in beginner mode. Its being close to the ground where all the obstacles are. You can get in just as much trouble in beginner mode.

My Rc was in my hands and i was in beginner mode the very first time i took my Brand new drone off....And I was a noobie we all have to start some where don't we ?

I was smart enough to take my very first flight in a large flat open field that is a mile square....no wires trees or poles Or "people"
Too many new drone owners do crazy unsafe things and we all hear and read about it here on this site....crashes ect

My Rc was in my hands and i was in beginner mode the very first time i took my Brand new drone off....And I was a noobie we all have to start some where don't we ?

I was smart enough to take my very first flight in a large flat open field that is a mile square....no wires trees or poles Or "people"
Too many new drone owners do crazy unsafe things and we all hear and read about it here on this site....crashes ect
Very true, my P3P was my first drone with advanced capabilities such as GPS and such. I've had 2 previous quadcopters (1 had a camera but no live feed) and a helicopter. So i do have some experience flying strictly in Atti mode and the phantom is a dream compared to that. I turned beginner mode off and enabled multiple flight modes the moment i first powered it up. And yes i also was in an open area on my first flight and that flight was intense but i pushed to get a feel and trust which i did get very quickly.

We drone owners and fixed wing rc's also fly here...This is where i flew from My Very first time...its a very easy drive to and its a great place to fly at...i back my truck up and drop the padded tailgate and set the P3SE 25 to 30 feet out and away i go ! !
DJI_0028.JPG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12