Air to air mission

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I went back to the beach near one of my favourite flying spots today and the conditions were perfect.
i-fjcBCTV-L.jpg

But this time I was there to shoot something else, a subject I had never tried although I had been wanting to for over a year. I met up with BGCCDX, a fellow Phantom Pilot for an air-to-air shoot.

I picked an elevated site where we could have the Phantoms close to eye level for control and set up the shot so the sun angle worked for the picture.
Although I had the picture in my mind, getting it turned out to be quite tricky.
To get Brian's bird to be as prominent as I wanted in the frame, the very wideangle lens on the P3 meant the Phantoms had to be close. Uncomfortably close.

Fortunately Brian is experienced on the sticks but the updraft was making our Phantoms drift more than I'm used to.
It turns out that to get the perfect air to air Phantom portrait you need to have the drones only a metre apart or even closer.
I wouldn't recommend trying this at home, it would be very easy to come to grief.
But I'm pretty happy with the results.

Something you don't see every day - two Phantoms in close formation (but not close enough to get the shot).
i-RH4c2Px-L.jpg

This is getting closer to what I wanted - but this is with a regular camera and a tele lens.
i-44zp6Vq-L.jpg

And here's the money shot .... Phantom shoots Phantom.
Scary close to the eye but looks quite safe in the photo.
i-S2RRWJ6-L.jpg

Thanks Brian .. it was good to meet you and get the shot that's been in my mind for a year now.
Now, if only I knew an Inspire pilot from around here .....

i-5HZxDnw-L.jpg

Nice. You must really be an adrenaline junkie.

Reactions: snowghost
Not one of the keepers from the shoot, but this gives you an idea what it was like for the pilots - and both birds were wandering up and down as well as sideways about a foot or so while we were trying to line up the photos. Nerve wracking stuff and definitely not one for beginners to try.
i-J9bm6Zw-L.jpg

Not one of the keepers from the shoot, but this gives you an idea what it was like for the pilots - and both birds were wandering up and down as well as sideways about a foot or so while we were trying to line up the photos. Nerve wracking stuff and definitely not one for beginners to try.
i-J9bm6Zw-L.jpg
'Not a keeper'.. Really? I think this is one of the best shots!

Love that last shot, really shows off the bird and beautiful scenery.

I love that last shot too, actually! :D

Meta4, I see you're somewhere around South East Queensland... I'm in Brisbane (but work O/S) and have a friend in Brisbane with an Inspire. I have not caught up with him since getting my Phantom, but will definitely try to when I catch up with him in mid-June, while I'm home. Are you interested in a catch up?

Yes, it was a bit tricky, but Owen got some good shots. It was made a little more difficult by people coming up to us to ask about what we were doing. Trying to answer them while ensuring the birds got close enough for shots but not too close for disaster, that was a challenge.

i-J9bm6Zw-L.jpg
Pictures, or it didn't happen! Oh, wait. Never-mind o_O.....Seriously....NICE!! :eek:

Reactions: BGCCDX
Those pics look marvelous. Thanks for sharing them, with us to see.

Looks like you are having a great time with your Phantom 3 and your flying friends..
Please, Keep up the great work.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: BGCCDX
Hi Meta4, I'll be staying at Caloundra for a week from the 12th June and plan to give the Inspire a run. I'll be heading up to Montville/Maleney area for some day trips. Let me know if you're still interested in getting the shots you wanted.

While the technical skill required to take these photos is truly amazing my feelings about the shots is different from what others are saying.

IMHO (please remember that as I am no where near what you could call a photographer) I really like your first photo, of the surfers, and the last photo that you say is not a keeper. I feel all the others give a false feeling of scale. The phantoms look very big and out of context with the people on the beach. Personally I feel that if you had the phantom over the beach and much lower, as though it was taking photos of the people they would have looked better. It may just be me but they all just look detached from the scene almost like you have photoshoped them into an aerial photo of the beach.

Having said that let me repeat how impressed I am with the idea and the shots you got and the skill required. Great Job.

Sounds more like an inevitable accident waiting to happen.
Yes, post the video, I would love to see a successful attempt. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers