Agriculture use

Reaction score
I know there is mapping like drone deploy etc. what I need is a good app that will put the grid lines and plots setup. I wish the go app had the waypoint option like the old app had for pv-2+. Anybody using there p3p for ag use?

I know there is mapping like drone deploy etc. what I need is a good app that will put the grid lines and plots setup. I wish the go app had the waypoint option like the old app had for pv-2+. Anybody using there p3p for ag use?

For agricultural use, you really want a IR sensitive camera. Actually, you want a multispectral camera. A true multispectral camera is probably a non starter for the phantom, but on fixed wing drones, Ive experimented with a raspberry pi camera without IR filter and using a blue NDVI filter and some special software, and that worked reasonably well. Here is some background info:
Public Lab: Near-Infrared Camera

For the Phantom, you'd want to remove the IR filter (not sure if you can, it could be coated on the sensor) and replace it with a special blue filter. Im unsure if anyone's ever done it. I do see these guys sell something similar at rip off prices:
Phantom Series NDVI Upgrade

Another option may be the parrot sequoia camera, but its hardly cheap ( $3,500) and not a drop in replacement for the Phantom either:
Parrot Sequoia - The right multispectral accuracy

fwiw, my NoIR raspberry camera +filter costs ~$25, the software is free.

You can see here: DJI Phantom 3 Lenses – Peau Productions.
There is a video to show the disassembly of the P3 camera and they have a large set of alternative lens for the camera, including without IR filter.

Cool. They even sell lenses with NDVI filter preinstalled. $260 is a bit exaggerated, but its certainly better than some of the other options I listed.

Dont expect a regular camera with NDVI filter to perform anywhere near as good as a true multispectral camera, especially not if light varies between photo's, but for that money, you can at least give it a try.

This modification will almost require to dedicate a P3 for that use and use it with missions.
Do you know how it will look (raw footage, what you see in the live video) if you remove the IR filter or put a NDVI filter ? Is it flyable in FPV?
Another idea would be to have a NVDI filter horizontally bellow the camera so if the camera is pointing to the front, the view would be full range, including IR. But maybe it don't make it more usable to fly.

I found nice the extra camera at the rear in your link, especially as it just need to be in vertical position.

It will look terrible in FPV. No color and really weird. Have a look here:
NDVI Blue 446nm + NIR 800nm – Peau Productions

See the "raw" images? thats what it would look like with that particular filter. You can probably still fly with it though.

As for an extra camera, I happen to have a spare one with a less than perfect gimbal (produces jello when looking forward, Im guessing one damaged motor). It might be perfect to try NDVI imaging with that, just lock the gimbal looking down.

Reactions: Dronason
Fare to start at this level, but it is very interesting subject. I will have it in the pipeline of the mods to do.
Thanks in any case for the info.

Check out Mapsmadeeasy.com (Dronesmadeeasy.com)
I've been using their flight planning app and image processing for a few months now. Flight plan and automated flight has worked flawless.

Where are you located at? Your screen name suggests we're both in the same field...

Obviously there is a range of hardware you can use from the stock DJI camera on up.

I think maybe the more important question is, what's the best "bang for the buck?" Maybe to answer that you need to first take a step back and answer the question "What are the most common types of specific agricultural applications?" Then you can have a discussion about which upgrades in hardware are cost-effective in each of those applications?

I'm all ears (well, eyes actually ;) Any links to good technical overviews on various applications and the actionable data requirements out there?

Reactions: Andy Ritchie
Worked for Weyerhaeuser Rayonier and others for about 35yrs. Kids now have the company and I fish and fly
That's awesome. I'm with Campbell Global, that is actually based up in your neck of the woods, Portland.

Have you seen much work up there being done with drones instead of fixed wings with forestry related practices?

That's awesome. I'm with Campbell Global, that is actually based up in your neck of the woods, Portland.

Have you seen much work up there being done with drones instead of fixed wings with forestry related practices?
We also have and do work for Campbell Global. I have done some logging utilization instead of putting plots. Sure is easier on the legs and knees

Am I in the right place? :)
What is the best camera setup, if it's your goal to survey farmed fields?
Can you survey for irrigation effectiveness as well as disease with the same setup?
Appreciating any help here.

Am I in the right place? :)
What is the best camera setup, if it's your goal to survey farmed fields?
Can you survey for irrigation effectiveness as well as disease with the same setup?
Appreciating any help here.
I'm for the most part working in forestry and research. I'm now working with different lenses. Trying polarized for stream surveys, still experimenting.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have tested peau productions replacement lens and was disappointed. Hard to get good focus and the outcome differs with different sunlight. I think sequoia is better options.

Here is a interesting input:
NDVI Processing

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hey guys, I am looking to get my licence next year at some point and because I live in an agricultural area I have been wondering about this photomapping that a lot of folk seem to be doing. I am flying a P2 with a gopro hero3+ and I also have a couple of 650's with Xiaomi Yi cameras but I would likely be using the P2 for something like this.
Can someone perhaps explain to me how I would be able to set a flight pattern for the P2 so that I could get all the area recorded?
What software is out there to use to set the flight pattern onto the P2 so that it will make the flight autonomously? I have Litchi on my tablet and phone but can't get it to work with my P2 for some reason, I don't switch on the WiFi on the camera because I have been told not to do that as it may interfere with the signal for the P2!
I hope that someone can help me with this!?

Regards,

Andy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31