Aftermarket tracking

How long does the battery last on the trackimo and is there an on/off switch to conserve battery?
For me it's been going since Sunday 8pm with 5min tracks all day for about 20h/day. I've put it in luggage in my trunk, in my pocket, at my desk, etc. just seeing how it works really.

It will also live track when you launch the app. My battery is about 65% and it's Tuesday at Midnight right now.

There is an on, off button, it's pretty decent as long as you have ok 2G cell coverage in your area. You can also change the track sensitivity from the app and as long as tracker is online - you're adjusting it.

Thanks S5s5g6. I think I'm leaning toward the trackimo
I've been thinking about getting a Trackimo but I thought I saw somebody post that the 2G networks that they use are being phased out. Don't want to spend the $ on this and have it be useless in a year. Is this true?

I think it requires a minimum of 2G. I will check the literature that came with mine, and post in a bit. Once 2G goes away....should work fine on 3G and 4G. but I will check that.

I was interested in the MP device some years ago and they have made lighter versions of it now. The great benefit of that system is that it cant interfere with the phantom3 because its in sleep mode, that means only the receiver is working. As soon as the receiver gets a signal from the hand unit it will activate its TX. Its like 12g only but it works best in line of sight of course and distance drops when the phantom will be on the ground in high gras. The system is normally a pet tracker for cats and dogs.The big downside for europeans is that its not legal in europe, those frequencies are not allowed here. If you crash into a car with that thing the insurance will not pay anything.So its more or less like a fatshark 250mw video TX, the same situation.

I think it requires a minimum of 2G. I will check the literature that came with mine, and post in a bit. Once 2G goes away....should work fine on 3G and 4G. but I will check that.
I would be interested in that.

By 2017 ATT (largest 2G footprint in the USA) will have decommissioned all of their 2G network. Some markets will be turned down prior to that. For now it does not seem like the Northeastern USA is too affected by this.

TAGG pet tracker for my birds. They use CDMA cell and GPS. We dont get GSM service in our area. When not in use its on the dog. Pretty easy as well to track. You can use your computer or the app from your phone. You can live track it if needed. So far it has been very accurate when i have tested it out.

Reactions: S5S5G6
It finally hit 10% battery on Thursday 05:30am, so I recharged it.

If it does the one minute updates it uses more juice. Ill try that this week.

I still see advantages to both of the frackers discussed here and once I get a good modular setup for the trackimo, I'll probably get a Marco as well. My theory is Trackimo tells me where to drive to, Marco tells me where to go once I'm out of the truck.

Plus once I buy both, something more magical will come out for all of you to enjoy :)

For me it's been going since Sunday 8pm with 5min tracks all day for about 20h/day. I've put it in luggage in my trunk, in my pocket, at my desk, etc. just seeing how it works really. ///My battery is about 65% and it's Tuesday at Midnight right now.

Look what UPS just dropped off. Cool beans

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439839155.155516.jpg

Just wondering... having a tag fixed using an electric cable tie.... seems suspect! A loss in field or woods - it may be OK... but if a human finds it... its easy to cut off.. leave the tracker and take the quad. Any way it could be fixed inside the P3 body??

Just wondering... having a tag fixed using an electric cable tie.... seems suspect! A loss in field or woods - it may be OK... but if a human finds it... its easy to cut off.. leave the tracker and take the quad. Any way it could be fixed inside the P3 body??

I'm not sure if there is enough room. I've never taken the shell off. Having said that you still will need to charge the tag. You're not thinking about opening it up each time you fly are you? The screws and thread would give out at some point

Thats just the way it is at this point.. what is the probability someone will find it before you get there? Following on from that what is the probability that person is going to steal it?

Nothing is fool proof

Flytrex 3G is the best tracker, imho, but there's a huge backup right now on delivery.

I ordered 2 months ago, and still waiting for shipment.

That said.... They really are the best. It live streams the flight data (obtained directly via the P3 canbus) to Flyrex's servers.

Advantages to this over other trackers are:

1) Flytrex mobile app w/ live location. So when you're flying long range and you lose controller connection, rather than waiting a few moments/minutes in butt-clenching panic (or something of the sort), I just whip out my smartphone, which already has the Flytrex app up and logged in. "Oh, there she is, she's started RTH and is on her way back into range and the correct altitude and heading". Also works when flying full UAV/ground-station missions. Let's me keep an eye on progress outside of controller range. Updates every 500 ms, so those heartbeats let me know she's still in the air, and still flying correctly.

2) Post-crash analysis. What happened? Did we lose altitude first slowly? Spin out of control? Drop out of the sky? Fly away? etc... If you're over the water, or an area where it's not easily possible to recover the craft, you have a lot of data already streamed to the internet to do a post-crash analysis. Also a big deal if the craft goes down from serious altitude. If the force of the crash is quite severe, you might destroy or otherwise render inoperable the Marco Polo or other post-crash 2G/3G tracking device. With the Flytrex, I have the last known location up until total power failure. With any of the other trackers, you're waiting until after the "event" to get the appropriate data. The Flytrex has already streamed the data to the Internet along the way, and thus all data up to the crash is saved externally.

3) This is a bit less important, especially with the excellent logs the Phantom 3 and the controller record, but you get a nice auto-created flight route map and data log on the Flytrex website.

If you really really want to be safe, you could use a Marco Polo in conjunction with a Flytrex, but for me, if I only have to pick one, the Flytrex is the way to go for the most peace-of-mind per dollar spent.

The only major downside is you need to be flying in area with 3G connectivity. For me, that's not an issue, as 3G is prevalent pretty much anywhere I fly (and thanks to the Phantom normally operating at 200-600 ft AGL, it gets VERY good cell reception as it usually has better LoS to a cell tower than me on the ground). Unfortunately, the previous gen Flytrex 3G is only dual-band 3G, and hence locked to either U.S. region, or in the alternate model, Euro-region. Not sure about the new Flytrex 3G+ that's shipping for the I1 and P3, but I assume it has the same limitations. That's the same restriction for any 2G/3G tracker though, and hence, if you can afford both, a Marco Polo is a good backup.

Just my $0.02.

- Sam

Flytrex is superior for sure. continuous live tracking. I pre ordered it in MAY! They told me mine should ship next week. Until then.

Screenshot_2015-08-20-14-24-05_zpsjkj59gxz.png

Flytrex is superior for sure. continuous live tracking. I pre ordered it in MAY! They told me mine should ship next week. Until then.

Screenshot_2015-08-20-14-24-05_zpsjkj59gxz.png
Key word there is should. I'm waiting for shops to get them state side before ordering. My last experience w/ Flytrex was one of the most frustrating things I've ever been involved in. The 2nd Flytrex I ordered (after the 1st one was DOA and returned) that somehow got lost in Israel was delivered to me 8 weeks after I received my 3rd Flytrex (which was the replacement for the lost 2nd). Planned on using the 2nd one on my P3, until they changed the design...

Anyway, good luck. post back when you receive it.

Yea... Flytrex needs a little help on logistics.

However, I've found them reasonably prompt as far as replying to support requests.

And yes, clearly they screwed up a bit with this latest round for the P3. If I didn't like them so much as a company overall, I would have cancelled my order ages ago.

Thats just the way it is at this point.. what is the probability someone will find it before you get there? Following on from that what is the probability that person is going to steal it?

Nothing is fool proof

My MP is so inconspicuous that I doubt untrained eyes will think its a tracker. I am more worried about waterproofing, in case it drops in a pond or lake (Im in Florida).

I know these aren't the Marco Polo forums but I figured I'd ask. I received the rc model system. I charged the unit as instructed and tried to power on the tag. It takes me about 30 attempts to power it on. Same while trying to power it off. I can only assume the switch is defective. Anyone else experience this? Am I doing something wrong?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj