Aftermarket tracking

Got a trackimo over the weekend, it's small and basic and will help my pinpoint the quad if I drop it in an urban setting. I'm pretty impressed with its signal penetration so far (left in a car trunk it will still provide updates just fine).

Will get the Marco Polo once I start doing some backcountry stuff over the winter.

Reactions: bobmyers
How long does the battery last on the trackimo and is there an on/off switch to conserve battery?

MP is something around 30 days monitoring (checks distance every 40~80s) or 3 days tracking (distance & directions, almost live). I turn it on when I go fly, it stays on standby. Thats not monitoring nor tracking and it stays that way until I land. You will only switch to tracking mode if you loose the craft, the remote activates it. Hence, it should last for months without recharging, unless you use the tracking mode a lot. If you do, you have 3 days to find your craft.

Marco Polo is:
Rechargeable lithium polymer battery, included (non-user serviceable)
10 days idle mode
3 days tracking mode
30 days monitor mode

For those of you with the MP, what was the best price you found? Do you need to purchase the RC model transceiver accessory in addition, or will the standard kit work?

Hey thanks! Is there a low battery warning light or anything?

The kit has two parts, the locator and tag. On the locator which you hold in your hand shows you all the information included battery life of the locator and also the tag battery life.

For those of you with the MP, what was the best price you found? Do you need to purchase the RC model transceiver accessory in addition, or will the standard kit work?

I found mine on EBay for $199 It is a kit which has a hand held locator and a tag which you attach to the drone. Everything you need is in the kit,

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the RF V16?
I use this on my P3P. Have a flytrex on FC40.
The RF V16 allows you to text/call it. So very handy if bird goes down in a corn field, tree or something where you can pin point it while close by. It requires a voice plan for these features. It has an app that allows you to track if you have data plan (to get accurate). It has rechargeable (via micro USB) lithium ion batt and lasts days.
It's the cheapest, effective solution not connected to the P3 battery even if you just get the $3/mth voice plan. It take a bit to setup initially, but that's what YouTube is for!

Question on these aftermarket tracking devices, is there a possibility of it affecting the phantom and causing it to crash? Is it worth the investment?

Question on these aftermarket tracking devices, is there a possibility of it affecting the phantom and causing it to crash? Is it worth the investment?
I've got 100's of flights short and long with flytrex and RF16. Never an issue with interference

I use the Drone Mods tracker. Never had a problem with flying. I have P1s. The tracker is Velcroed to the bottom behind camera mount.

I started looking at the marco polo but it seems in an urban environment or one maybe with a lot trees that maybe the distance is not so great...

System Range
– Open terrain, flat with few obstructions: 2 miles typical
– Open terrain, rolling hills with few obstructions: up to .5-1 mile
– Dense suburban areas: 2,000 ft. typical
† Ranges shown are typical under controlled testing. Your results will vary with your actual conditions.

Alan

I started looking at the marco polo but it seems in an urban environment or one maybe with a lot trees that maybe the distance is not so great...

System Range
– Open terrain, flat with few obstructions: 2 miles typical
– Open terrain, rolling hills with few obstructions: up to .5-1 mile
– Dense suburban areas: 2,000 ft. typical
† Ranges shown are typical under controlled testing. Your results will vary with your actual conditions.

Alan
I think the plan is to start driving/walking in the last flight direction until you get within range, be it 2 miles or 1000 feet. Then you move in for the kill.

Reactions: rrmccabe and S5S5G6

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik