Advise to a newbee drone pilot using the phantom 4

...The front two LEDs are red and I get a beeping noise. I guess this is correct?...
I don't have a P4 so I can't say for sure. What does the manual say? You HAVE read it three times as instructed, haven't you? There'll be a pop quiz later! ;)

Last edited:
...One of the batteries I got was dead...
How do you know one of the batteries is dead? Can you describe what happens when you put it on the charger? What are the light patterns and how long do you leave it on the charger to see what it's going to do? My batteries will sometimes wait up to 10 seconds before the lights come on and they start charging.

Finally, why would you start a return ticket if everything's working ("I want to be sure everything is working before I start an Item Return to Amazon")?

Last edited:
People sharing experience in this forum would be valuable info to you - you might want install handy to use PhantomPilot app on your mobile device.

As general rule, when you are at field never rush, in particular if someone is watching you. Take your time, check props are firmly installed, Go App, bird statuses, all green etc. Don't fly if any doubt. This week a user had some doubt re flying from a cliff, asked questions here, and finally decided to not fly. Wathever would have happen it's judgement showed maturity.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry my wording was confusing. I am returning the dead battery so I want to make sure the drone is working, or else I will have to return that along with the battery. The battery was on the charger for one hour and no lights come on. Pressing the test button gives me one green light.

I read the manual again and the lights under the front motors are supposed to be red. The lights under the back motors are the Status Lights that change color. There is just one short sentence that mentions this. When I saw red, I thought there was a problem. I can't find any mention of the beeping sound, but my Radio Control is linking with the drone and my the Go Ap indicates that I am safe to fly.

You're correct, front red lights could have been with different color, status being only displayed with rear leds, also red ie in case of low battery. Not sure why they choosen this. Maybe someone can explain.

Note they can be disabled or disabled during shots as possibly interfering with camera, ie at night.

Look after compass and IMU statuses, lower values better acuracy. Relevant at field of course!

It's normal if IMU2 (backup) as little higher value, no worries.

Yellow dot on the left shows current IMU in use.

Last edited:
Flew Pn 4 today. Very stable. Used up the battery juice making many take offs and landings. Is it important to let the battery cool down before recharging? Could I refrigerate it to speed up the process?

... Is it important to let the battery cool down before recharging? Could I refrigerate it to speed up the process?
Yes, the manual tells you more than once to let the battery cool to room temp before charging. Refrigerating? Makes sense but be careful. When you pull it out of the fridge, water will condense on it very quickly. I wouldn't try to charge a wet battery.

Last edited:
Yes, the manual tells you more than once to let the battery cool to room temp before charging. Refrigeratong? Makes sense but be careful. When you pull it out of the fridge, water will condense on it very quickly. I wouldn't try to charge a wet battery.

Some tunnel with 12v fan on one side can be easily build. Make sure to put a tape on connector as pulsed air will contain dust etc.

But personally I would rather go with more spare batteries to allow rest time btw swaps.

Thanks again for the advise.

My P4 is flying well. But I am having trouble with Firmware Updates. I am supposed to connect my tablet to the aircraft and download the update. Every time I try the update "Fails". The aircraft is turned on and my tablet is connected to it with the supplied cords.

I successfully downloaded an update for the Radio Control, but downloading to the aircraft always ends in failure.

Flew Pn 4 today. Very stable. Used up the battery juice making many take offs and landings. Is it important to let the battery cool down before recharging? Could I refrigerate it to speed up the process?
I would not put in a fridge, you will shrink the outside of the battery on the core and could damage the battery. Get more batteries and let them cool on their own or with a fan, don't risk it.

Thanks again for the advise.

My P4 is flying well. But I am having trouble with Firmware Updates. I am supposed to connect my tablet to the aircraft and download the update. Every time I try the update "Fails". The aircraft is turned on and my tablet is connected to it with the supplied cords.

I successfully downloaded an update for the Radio Control, but downloading to the aircraft always ends in failure.

Find link to procedure.
Firmware Upgrade problems. P4

Note also usage of DJI Assistant software can help
Make sure your home wifi router is enough close as RC and craft causing interferences, typivally download does repeteadly pauses

Still having trouble with firmware updates, But I have one simple question.

The aircraft battery charger plug seems to fit the battery no matter which way you turn it? The plug doesn't seem to be polarized. Does it matter which way I plug it in? I am referring to the many pronged, 1.5 inch wide plug that connects to the battery not the household plug that goes to a 110v/ac wall outlet.

Correct, both way will work, internal wiring done to accomodate this. Similar to lightning connector also allowing both ways which is very handy.

All of this is excellent advise

My 2 Cents -

5 weeks ago I thought yaw was slang for yawn-I now have 25 hours flying time on my Phantom and not a scratch on it- most of that flying is over water where any crash would be a total loss.

Find a large, flat field to learn and practice - Understand and know exactly what will happen when you hit RTH under ANY scenario you can think of and some you can't think of and try them all out.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS DO PRE-FLIGHT CHECK :

RTH Altitude,
Signal Lost Action,
IMU and Compass are healthy,
Full Battery,
Home Point is set and confirmed,
SAT Count >10,
Props are not chipped or cracked,
No cracks on Shell,
No loose Decals,
RC mode is set to P,
Max Altitude Flight>RTH Altitude,
Wind on Ground < 12 (Personal Preference)

IF YOU DON'T CHECK EVERYTHING BEFORE IT TAKES OFF,
IT WON'T BE COMING BACK

Feel free to add to the pre-flight checklist

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

".........carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks."

------ Wilbur Wright, 1900

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Another question. According to the manuals on the Phantom and Phantom battery, it sounds like it is bad practice to store fully charged batteries. Will it harm the battery if it is fully charged and then not used for several days?

Another question. According to the manuals on the Phantom and Phantom battery, it sounds like it is bad practice to store fully charged batteries. Will it harm the battery if it is fully charged and then not used for several days?

Yes. It will decrease the service life of the battery and diminish the total charge possible later in battery life. Maximum possible charge decreases gradually as batteries age and/or undergo charge cycles. Follow DJI's advice for better performance and battery life.

Also, re: the update process. I discovered I had to be logged into the DJI account through the app before my updates would complete. You might check to make sure you're logged in there when you update the P4's firmware.

I am having a great time flying my P4! Very easy to fly and take still photos. Very good flight time from batteries.
The extreme wide angle lens is rather limiting at times.
Has anyone tried to modify the lens with an item such as -

Tele-Photo Flat Zoom Lens Kit For Phantom 3 or 4 - SC-P3416M - Phantom Accessories ????????

Wonder why they put 10MP behind the focal length of that 5.4mm lens and 5MP behind all other focal length options? The P4 is a 12MP so does that mean the lens covers only a 10MP sensor, or the quality is comparable to a 10MP camera? I'd ask before spending $360 and finding less quality. I'd expect the vibration with a tele might lessen the overall quality a bit too. Dunno.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers