Advice on my first mission please :-)

Reaction score
Decided to pull the trigger and go for a litchi mission It's 8am in London and I haven't slept yet so I planned a route. But I am a little confused ...

1) I want to take pics but it has an altitude setting which Is also a minus. Does that mean it will get near or far to the object? Or would it alter the altitude of the actual phantom? I included a pic to explain what I mean
e4fc6a310102f3342f51ea8f0e229203.jpg

2) if I take off on record, then it gets to the bit where I told it to take a pic, will it continue to record after?

3) does my RC have to be in "P-mode"

4) how do I stop the mission mid flight if I wanted to and take control?

Thanks for the help in advance and I know this has been answered so many times before but so many litchi questions have been answered it would take me ages to find the answers I'm looking for. Thanks in advance once again xx

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can't help on the question, but I hope you're not thinking about flying a mission over Bromley! A friend was cautioned by the Met the other day for flying over an area in Streatham. They're getting tougher....

Reactions: Neon Euc
The altitude for a POI should be how tall the POI is, so the phantom knows at what angle to point the camera, it should definitely not be negative.

Decided to pull the trigger and go for a litchi mission It's 8am in London and I haven't slept yet so I planned a route. But I am a little confused ...

1) I want to take pics but it has an altitude setting which Is also a minus. Does that mean it will get near or far to the object? Or would it alter the altitude of the actual phantom? I included a pic to explain what I mean
e4fc6a310102f3342f51ea8f0e229203.jpg

2) if I take off on record, then it gets to the bit where I told it to take a pic, will it continue to record after?

3) does my RC have to be in "P-mode"

4) how do I stop the mission mid flight if I wanted to and take control?

Thanks for the help in advance and I know this has been answered so many times before but so many litchi questions have been answered it would take me ages to find the answers I'm looking for. Thanks in advance once again xx

The POI altitude is the height above the ground the camera will point at.
If you were for example filming a lighthouse, setting the height at 3ft would look at the base, and 50 ft would look higher up.
To cancel the mission toggle the switch between P and ATTI.
Yes you need to be in P mode for mission flying.
When the mission ends the aircraft will stop and hover at the last waypoint until you cancel the mission. Best to set your last waypoint near home point.

Last edited:
The altitude for a POI should be how tall the POI is, so the phantom knows at what angle to point the camera, it should definitely not be negative.
Try negative altitude when you have a chance, it can add interest at times if the poi does not stay dead centre, you still have a nice smooth movement and you can control where the horizon sits.

Also- depending on where your POI is relative to your launch point negative altitude maybe necessary to have the POI dead centre if that's what you are after.

A negative POI altitude would point the gimbal to center the shot at the ground in front of the building. The POI altititude has nothing to do with altitude, rather it's where the gimbal is making the camera point. If the building is really tall, you might want to set two POIs, one at the ground in front of the building and one at the very top of the building, so as you approach those waypoints, the camera will pan upward from base to top of building.

You can cancel the mission by flipping the switch from toggling the left switch, or you can press the pause button on the left side of the screen and it will pause the mission, or you can hit the pause button of the right side of the controller under your index finger to pause/resume the mission (if you'd rather pause than cancel).

You can choose, for each mission (in Settings) how you want to end it when it hits the last waypoint. RTH is one option, or you can just have it stop and hover and you can then land it manually, or you can have it RTH, or you can return to waypoint 1, or you can have it reverse course, or you can have it just auto land at the last waypoint. Default is to just stop and hover at the last waypoint. That's what I usually do, but of course make sure that the last waypoint is some place where you can see the drone well to hand fly it back.

Last edited:
If you were for example filming a lighthouse, setting the height at 3ft would look at the base, and 50 ft would look higher up.
When the mission ends the aircraft will stop and hover at the last waypoint until you cancel the mission. Best to set your last waypoint near home point.
Actually, you need to have the switch in the 'f' position to load and fly the mission. To cancel at any time, switch back to the 'p' position. Also, heights will be referenced from the home or takeoff position so if the elevation changes much between the home and poi locations, take that into account. Speaking of heights - how do you have things programmed after the mission ends? If RTH, make sure that the RTH height is high enough to clear any obstacles along the direct path from the last waypoint to home. The default 20 meters really isn't high enough. If you haven't yet, please download the manual from their web site and read it. That will safe you some headaches later.

Actually, you need to have the switch in the 'f' position to load and fly the mission. To cancel at any time, switch back to the 'p' position. Also, heights will be referenced from the home or takeoff position so if the elevation changes much between the home and poi locations, take that into account. Speaking of heights - how do you have things programmed after the mission ends? If RTH, make sure that the RTH height is high enough to clear any obstacles along the direct path from the last waypoint to home. The default 20 meters really isn't high enough. If you haven't yet, please download the manual from their web site and read it. That will safe you some headaches later.
I was describing the proceedure for the P4, which is indeed to load the mission in P mode, and toggle to Atti to cancel. The P3 is different.

Wow thank you for all your help and advice everyone as that is very detailed on the answers. I will attempt the flight plan later and see how it goes [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Oooo one last thing. I know at some point I will lose RC signal. I hear it will still carry on the mission. Is that true? :)

Yes. The mission gets uploaded to the drone at the start, so it flies it independent of the R/C transmitter. If you fly out of range of the transmitter, the drone doesn't care...it will just go ahead and complete the mission. It doesn't need the transmitter or your iPhone/iPad. The problem comes in if it hits the low battery limit while it's out of range. In that case, it will hover then land in place without you having any opportunity to A) know if and where that's what's happening and B) initiate RTH, and C) cancel mission and fly it home manually

Oooo one last thing. I know at some point I will lose RC signal. I hear it will still carry on the mission. Is that true? :)

Yes, but perhaps on your first few missions do not be too adventurous, stay close and in a big open area, and test out all the modes of operation,pause,cancel,RTH etc. You can take pictures at each waypoint, but not if you use curved turns.
Have a look at this,it is extremely good.
Phantom Filmschool sample - learn the basics of Litchi

Thanks for the extra info guys and I will def look through the litchi guide. The whole mission will take 10 mind with each way point having an altitude of 200 feet just so I am careful on the first attempt [emoji2]

Also, if you're using straight lines, you can add actions to record, stop recording, take picture, start recording. If you're using curved paths, you can't add actions (actually you can but they won't be carried out - the reason for this is that for an action to be carried out, the bird has to reach the waypoint (where it will briefly stop). In curved paths, it never actually reaches the waypoint. It curves around it instead so the action isn't initiated.) The manual can be found at flylitchi.com.

Or you set "return to start point" as final action in settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic