Add me to the new Phantom 3 standard for Christmas list

sgf

Reaction score
My great wife got me a Phantom 3 standard for Christmas. I have been looking at videos, reading online and have read all the literature that came with the drone. Right now I probably have eight or more hours invested in learning, and I've registered it as well. I even created a preflight/notes list hoping to do it right the first time and not tear the drone up. I flew it for the first time today, in beginner mode. Prior to this I've had a UDI U818A which I think was harder to fly than the Phantom 3.So far my favorite tning is how I can let the stick go and it will hover in place.

I happened onto this forum today and since I have lots to learn, registering seemed a good move.

Happy New Year

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Welcome.

I'm a new owner as well. I'm coming from a Syma X5SC. I agree.... the DJI P3S is wayyyyyyy easier to fly. Sending it off out of sight and then hitting return to home is the coolest thing so far.

Welcome.

I'm a new owner as well. I'm coming from a Syma X5SC. I agree.... the DJI P3S is wayyyyyyy easier to fly. Sending it off out of sight and then hitting return to home is the coolest thing so far.
How close did yours land to the takeoff spot? Since I took off from my rough field I used a pallet as a take off platform. When I used the return home function mine landed about four feet from the pallet.

My great wife got me a Phantom 3 standard for Christmas. I have been looking at videos, reading online and have read all the literature that came with the drone. Right now I probably have eight or more hours invested in learning, and I've registered it as well. I even created a preflight/notes list hoping to do it right the first time and not tear the drone up. I flew it for the first time today, in beginner mode. Prior to this I've had a UDI U818A which I think was harder to fly than the Phantom 3.So far my favorite tning is how I can let the stick go and it will hover in place.

I happened onto this forum today and since I have lots to learn, registering seemed a good move.

Happy New Year

I am new as well and got the P3S for Christmas, I had a few other "cheapy" drones in the past, they literally have lasted no more than a few days. I told a friend that they basically suck and to get his kid a P3S, he didn't listen. So they spent a $150 on a drone that literally lasted for 45 minutes, the kid (14 yrs old) was so upset that it broke that quick they went out and bought him another ~$150 drone. Which he lost in a fly away. He came over and flew mine 3 times in one day and had zero issues. Actually flew it really well and had no issues. I am just amazed at the quality/feature difference in drones when spending another $150-$200 bucks gets you.

How close did yours land to the takeoff spot? Since I took off from my rough field I used a pallet as a take off platform. When I used the return home function mine landed about four feet from the pallet.

Yeah. Probably within like 4 feet. The more satellites you are grabbing.... the more accurate it'll be.

Last edited:
I am new as well and got the P3S for Christmas, I had a few other "cheapy" drones in the past, they literally have lasted no more than a few days. I told a friend that they basically suck and to get his kid a P3S, he didn't listen. So they spent a $150 on a drone that literally lasted for 45 minutes, the kid (14 yrs old) was so upset that it broke that quick they went out and bought him another ~$150 drone. Which he lost in a fly away. He came over and flew mine 3 times in one day and had zero issues. Actually flew it really well and had no issues. I am just amazed at the quality/feature difference in drones when spending another $150-$200 bucks gets you.
Too true but it is understandable that buyers are reluctant to spend Phantom 3 money on something they might not use. I originally wanted one but just wasn't willing to anti up.

4 feet is really very good for the Phantom Standard. It only has the most basic GPS system. I wouldnt rely on it landing exactly where it took off from , especially if you have taken off from a jetty , boardwalk or boat.
It will always come home close but better if you take over the final decent and landing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using PhantomPilots mobile app

4 feet is really very good for the Phantom Standard. It only has the most basic GPS system. I wouldnt rely on it landing exactly where it took off from , especially if you have taken off from a jetty , boardwalk or boat.
It will always come home close but better if you take over the final decent and landing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Makes sense. I'm not at all disappointed in the landing results though. I tried it as a test and part of the learning curve since the videos I watched seemed like those drones landed spot on. Good point about boats, etc.

Another thing I learned, albeit unrelated to landing, was about the controller. In the videos I watched it seemed that all the controllers had two antennas and a sliding holder that would hold a tablet or a smart phone. Since most of the videos I watched were about the standard model I assumed my controller would be the same. As it turns out I have one antenna and a spring clamp style holder that will only open wide enough for a smartphone! I'm guessing maybe that's what the standard model comes with and the other style comes with the other models.

Happy New Year

Another thing I learned, albeit unrelated to landing, was about the controller. In the videos I watched it seemed that all the controllers had two antennas and a sliding holder that would hold a tablet or a smart phone. Since most of the videos I watched were about the standard model I assumed my controller would be the same. As it turns out I have one antenna and a spring clamp style holder that will only open wide enough for a smartphone! I'm guessing maybe that's what the standard model comes with and the other style comes with the other models.

Happy New Year

New P3S owner here also. You are correct that the controller with the dual antennas and larger device holder are from the P3A and P3P (there are other differences also). Both of those use Lightbridge technology while our P3S uses wifi. I did a TON of research before I purchased. I had actually set on a Mavic but decided I'd save about $900 and wet my feet with the P3S to see if I can justify the added $$$ (plus by Spring I'll probably have enough cash back on my Sams CC to purchase one with no money out of pocket!!).

Happy New Year

Hi there. I'm waiting for my P3S to be delivered in a few days. I too have been reading and watching a lot of videos to get somewhat prepared. I saw you mentioned making preflight notes. I ran across this flight list a few days ago on this forum and there's a second one posted further down:
Phantom 3 Standard Checklist

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic