AC Disconnected within 20' of RC

Reaction score
Last night, just before sunset, my wife and I were going through some training on the P4P 2.0. The battery level was about 31% and about 6 minutes til RTH.
We were about to set up an Active Tracking test, when the video feed turned monochrome and froze and the status changed to "Aircraft Disconnected". The AC was within 20' of us, as we were preparing to frame us in the camera for Active Track.

We'd used this field a dozen times this month for practice and nothing like this ever happened til now. The only difference was it was hot outside today.. upper 80s at sunset.

I tried shutting off and restarting the RC, but the AC would not reconnect. I rebooted the Crystal Sky Ultra, but still came up "disconnected". My wife manually landed the drone and we powered down and changed batteries. Everything powered up normally and we continued our training.

What concerns me is if this had happened with the drone BLOS, we'd have no way to know which way the drone was oriented or which direction to turn and how much in order to get on a homebound heading. The fact that rebooting the RC and CS units did not reconnect really concerns me. I realize we could press RTH and probably the drone would return, but if flying a long mission, especially in close quarters, like up a river with dense foliage overhanging the banks, such a situation would be dangerous.

Given that we still had manual control of the drone, the 'disconnected' message is probably DJI Go 4 somehow losing connection with the RC itself and or the craft. But the inability to reestablish connection in-flight is the concerning aspect of this.

What happened and what are the possible causes?

Reactions: t123466
Recently.......at 10 to 15 feet away from me and at ah......8 to 10 feet high......I had that same thing happen to me...I was going to walk and have the P3SE fly 10 feet away from me and land it manually from the point it took off from....when all of a sudden it quit responding to the RC and accelerated UP to return home altitude and moved to the south west it then paused and ascended and landed with in a few feet of the home point!....Whats strange to IS : it never showed that un controlled flight in the flight records...my thread is posted in the P3 SE section here....And wow my battery level was also at 30% when this took place.....i had critical set at 15% however i always have it close and land at 20 %..

I wonder if there are software bugs that express themselves when the battery level gets to around 30%?
When I fly a longer "mission", I start with a full battery. But since we were training in a soccer field, I wasn't concerned about the low battery warning. I was still 5-6 minutes away from the RTH optional point and a longer way from the RTH mandatory point. So we figured we'd train some more with the drone at very close range, knowing we could land it in seconds from there when the battery got closer to critical. But maybe there's a problem with the stability of the onboard computer when the cell voltage gets down to a certain level and the temperature is high?

And......i was flying in a soccer field too....and maybe the goal posts are doing something to them (just kidden) well its a bug and i hope it never shows its ugly face again....my near flying circumstances were like yours too Basspig....i could land it any time and at 30% i still was going to keep it close and low.

And also by the way.......it was a very hot day and lower 90s....ive seen posts were it was really hot as over 100 degs F...so?

Last night, just before sunset, my wife and I were going through some training on the P4P 2.0. The battery level was about 31% and about 6 minutes til RTH.
We were about to set up an Active Tracking test, when the video feed turned monochrome and froze and the status changed to "Aircraft Disconnected". The AC was within 20' of us, as we were preparing to frame us in the camera for Active Track.

We'd used this field a dozen times this month for practice and nothing like this ever happened til now. The only difference was it was hot outside today.. upper 80s at sunset.

I tried shutting off and restarting the RC, but the AC would not reconnect. I rebooted the Crystal Sky Ultra, but still came up "disconnected". My wife manually landed the drone and we powered down and changed batteries. Everything powered up normally and we continued our training.

What concerns me is if this had happened with the drone BLOS, we'd have no way to know which way the drone was oriented or which direction to turn and how much in order to get on a homebound heading. The fact that rebooting the RC and CS units did not reconnect really concerns me. I realize we could press RTH and probably the drone would return, but if flying a long mission, especially in close quarters, like up a river with dense foliage overhanging the banks, such a situation would be dangerous.

Given that we still had manual control of the drone, the 'disconnected' message is probably DJI Go 4 somehow losing connection with the RC itself and or the craft. But the inability to reestablish connection in-flight is the concerning aspect of this.

What happened and what are the possible causes?
If it happens BLOS the aircraft is going to enter RTH a few seconds after the disconnect, someone posted on FB that if your CS is unresponsive to press the top and bottom button together to get your screen back, check the CS groups on FB

We were far from any metal objects, out in the middle.

So two factors seem to be common to this incident: low battery voltage and high ambient temperature.

I've flown some pretty long distances in 70 degree weather from a full battery and not even a glitch. It seems the problems are bunched around hot days.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Basspig.......did your flight record show that weird behavior from the point it did it ? .....Mine showed none .....it all stopped recording when it went to RTH..never showed that change either....what a scary few minutes i had that seemed like a hour !

I haven't pulled the flight record. The last time I did, it took me an hour to use the klunky tools on the Crystal Sky to copy it to an SD card. There MUST be an easier way!

We did not lose control of the craft, just the display disconnected. We could still land it manually.

Basspig.......did your flight record show that weird behavior from the point it did it ? .....Mine showed none .....it all stopped recording when it went to RTH..never showed that change either....what a scary few minutes i had that seemed like a hour !
Its was different on a few flights but sometimes it records uptil the disconnect other times it records after you exit RTH its never the same , I reported it to DJI via the DJI forum and they admitted its a problem and their working on it ( ????) I was a few miles away when it happened the copter entered RTH like it should but the CS took a # of tries to get it to reboot, I gave up on CS i went with the ipadpro10.5 it fits in the stock phone/tablet holder and its brighter then my ipad mini 2, its not as sweet as the CS but its reliable, ALL records are recorded even with disconnects

I haven't pulled the flight record. The last time I did, it took me an hour to use the klunky tools on the Crystal Sky to copy it to an SD card. There MUST be an easier way!

We did not lose control of the craft, just the display disconnected. We could still land it manually.
If you have a IOS device you sync your flight records and sign in on the IOS device and get them via Itunes ( easy peasy)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.