Abysmal DJI Product Support

Reaction score
I want to share my abysmal experience dealing with DJI product support. The community needs to be aware of how DJI stands behind the product they sell.

I purchased a Phantom 2 Vision+ June 2015. During the summer of 2015 I flew the drone at most 15 times. For various reasons I didn’t get a chance to use the P2 till late August this year. When I powered it up I noticed that I was not getting FPV on my mobile device. I diagnosed the problem to be failed WIFI module onboard the aircraft. I tried to source a replacement unit, there is none to be had. From various online posts I have read, the WIFI module on the P2 V+ fails frequently.

I contacted DJI support. After a few emails they sent me an RMA. I sent the drone to their repair facility in California. They confirmed that the WIFI module onboard the aircraft had failed. Even though the drone was no longer under warranty, based on the fact that the drone had extremely light usage and the frequent incidents of failure of the WIFI module I was expecting that DJI would complete the repair free of charge. Instead I was told that the repair will cost $154. After no more than 15 flights my drone required a $154 repair!! I authorized payment, the drone was sent back to me.

I was anxiously waiting for the drone to be returned. BTW, the repair took 3 weeks. I powered up the radio, then drone, the thing still doesn’t work!!! My mobile device connects to the range extender, the drone does not. I went through the process of binding the extender to the drone twice. No luck.

This experience has soured me on DJI. I have been following the introduction of the Mavic. The specs look very impressive. I was fully intending on making the Mavic my Christmas present this year. There is no way I am going to shell out over $1,500CDN given my experience with DJI product support.

Bottom line: caveat emptor!

Yes I have, I have not heard back.

The facts are:
1. A component on the P2 V+ has been failing frequently. Try and find a WIFI module for sale. Good luck!
2. I was charged $154 for the repair. The very least DJI should have done is make absolutely sure that the repair was properly done.

I agree with you and I believe in CUSTOMER SERVICE. I purchased a Phantom 4 a month ago and had to use DJI support to get it going. Good experience. I would definitely be looking to speak with supervisors within DJI and speak with someone who has the ABILITY to assist you with getting a refund and your drone FIXED correctly.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Yesterday I spoke to someone at the DJI repair depot. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Long story short...I was told that a supervisor was not available. This person also told me that the only way they communicated with their supervisor is via instant messaging. How bizarre is that?!?

At the moment it looks like my drone will be heading back to DJI's repair facility. DJI's customer service is a total joke.

A quick update on my experiences with DJI support......

DJI support provided a couple of videos to help diagnose and rectify the problem I am seeing (no FPV video). None of their suggestions worked. They finally agreed that the drone will have to be returned to their repair facility.

For some inexplicable reason, the process for returning the drone has changed. This time I had to fill out a form to request an RMA. The first time my drone traveled to DJI's repair center, the RMA was provided without me having to fill out a form. Annoying and bizarre.

My picture of DJI's product support infrastructure is becoming crystal clear. DJI's support processes are NOT ready for prime time. If their DJI Mavic proves to be wildly successful, every indication is that it will be, and IF (capitals intended) the Mavic will experience frequent repair issues, owners will experience headaches beyond their worst nightmare.

I say again: caveat emptor.

A quick update on my WIFI module repair saga....

I received the drone from the DJI repair group yesterday, I had a chance to fly it today.

Good news is the second attempt to fix the problem has worked.

The bad news:
1. It took the better part of two months for DJI to fix the issue.
2. My drone had to make two trips to their repair facility in California. The first attempt to repair the drone was a failure.
3. Cost of the repair $154 USD. Keep in mind, the WIFI module failure is extremely common with the P2 V+. You would think that given the common failure of this component, DJI should have repaired for a very nominal fee in not free.
4. The tech that worked on my drone tried to fit a DJI gimbal guard (my 3rd party gimbal guard was returned to me broken!). The DJI gimbal guard was not installed properly. When I removed the drone from the backpack I used for shipping, the gimbal was flopping in the wind!!!!
5. All I got from DJI is their standard apology "sorry for the inconvenience".

I really wanted to buy a Mavic Pro. I liked the packaging and price point of this drone. Given my experiences with DJI after sale support, I will never buy another DJI product. I expect that within the next few months one of DJI's competitors (Yuneec, Autel, 3DR) will introduce a competitive product. From what I am reading online Autel's support is far better that DJI's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan