About to pull the trigger

I appreciate all of your honest feedback, sorry to cause tension between a couple of you, that was not my intention.
If I could ask one last questions on this thread. Would it be wiser for me to purchase the Vision 2 with the 3D gimbal and use a GoPro3 instead of the V2+ camera? I've seen replacement gimbal and camera's go for $1,000+ on Amazon and it seems to be a big issue for a lot of people who land incorrectly and the gimbal will break easily and there's no customer service or replacement for it.

Thanks again... This forum has been very helpful.

surfer808 said:
I appreciate all of your honest feedback, sorry to cause tension between a couple of you, that was not my intention.
If I could ask one last questions on this thread. Would it be wiser for me to purchase the Vision 2 with the 3D gimbal and use a GoPro3 instead of the V2+ camera? I've seen replacement gimbal and camera's go for $1,000+ on Amazon and it seems to be a big issue for a lot of people who land incorrectly and the gimbal will break easily and there's no customer service or replacement for it.

You did not cause any tension. We got off topic and it was wrong in the context of your OP. Your question depends entirely on the quality of the video you want. A P2 GoPro setup will give you better video quality, but will undermine the FPV experience. With a GoPro, you'd need to a select and install a separate 2 or 3D gimbal, a video transmitter, an optional OSD, and a monitor if you want telemetry. All of this adds weight which will shorten flight times over the P2V+, not to mention additional expense.

If video without FPV is what you're after, then it's a no brainer to go with a P2 with GoPro.

If a one-stop solution with FPV and decent video will work for you, then go with a P2V+. Yes, the gimbals are fragile, but not so much more fragile than an H3D that it's going to make much difference in a real crash. If you hit terminal velocity with any gimbal and that sucker lands on it, it's all over anyway.

varmint said:
surfer808 said:

You did not cause any tesion. We got off topic and it was wrong in the context of your OP. Your question depends entirely on the quality of the video you want. A P2 GoPro setup will give you better video quality, but will undermine the FPV experience. With a GoPro, you'd need to a select and install a separate 2 or 3D gimbal, a video transmitter, an optional OSD, and a monitor if you want telemetry. All of this adds weight which will shorten flight times over the P2V+, not to mention additional expense.

If video without FPV is what you're after, then it's a no brainer to go with a P2 with GoPro.

If a one-stop solution with FPV and decent video will work for you, then go with a P2V+. Yes, the gimbals are fragile, but not so much more fragile than an H3D that it's going to make much difference in a real crash. If you hit terminal velocity with any gimbal and that sucker lands on it, it's all over anyway.

Thanks, that makes complete sense. I will probably just go with the V2+ because video and FPV is definitely what I'm striving for. I'm reading through the thread "butt ugly camera protection" on this forum so maybe there's a solution to protect the H3D and camera I can find and that will make me much more confident with some extra protection added.

There is about a four minute You Tube video from Helipal. Best one I know of to show the lights.I suggest, along with lots of study of manual, and the informative threads on this site, that you watch that video as many times as you need to memorize the lights and sequences of getting this fine machine ready to fly. Then watch it again.
Do not rush compass cal or GPS lock. Do not think that 5 or 6 sats is enough. Be patient. They say the foil mod works wonders. They say the recent software upgrade works wonders. I am sure both help. But the more sats you have, the more fun you will have.
Also, learn exactly what the S1 and S2 switches do. Very simple in GPS mode. More involved in NAZA mode. If something "happens" you may not have time to try this or that while trying to remember what switch position does what.
Ask any private pilot. He or she would never EVER attempt to fly even a very familiar aircraft without strict attention to a checklist and to all details. The same attention to detail and preparation, in my opinion, makes the V2+, my machine now, lots of fun. I did not follow my own advice a few weeks ago, and paid a $1300 fine.
Strongly consider some sort of sun shield for your phone. Make one, buy one, but take it into bright sun mounted on your controller to see that it works. Once again, the time to find out you cannot deal with screen reflection is not when your bird is saying bye bye or doing something weird.
None of this is negative. It is just common sense, IMO. Just be prepared.
And enjoy your new flying machine!

varmint said:
surfer808 said:

You did not cause any tesion. We got off topic and it was wrong in the context of your OP. Your question depends entirely on the quality of the video you want. A P2 GoPro setup will give you better video quality, but will undermine the FPV experience. With a GoPro, you'd need to a select and install a separate 2 or 3D gimbal, a video transmitter, an optional OSD, and a monitor if you want telemetry. All of this adds weight which will shorten flight times over the P2V+, not to mention additional expense.

Yep sorry about that. But I think we're okay now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl