Abandoned Insane Asylum on Long Island

Reaction score
First video I'm proud of but of course as I watch it I pick apart a ton of things I could have done better or different. I'd appreciate any critiques and suggestions on how I could have done it better.
https://vimeo.com/112067110

Sufficiently creepy right before the holidays ?????

I went home to LI this summer on vacation, hit up KPPC and got shut down roughly 6 minutes after getting my Phantom in the air.
You got lucky! Or I just got unlucky :(
Nice job!

Farside said:
I went home to LI this summer on vacation, hit up KPPC and got shut down roughly 6 minutes after getting my Phantom in the air.
You got lucky! Or I just got unlucky :(
Nice job!
Thanks Farside. This was actually a two day shoot. The first day I was harassed as I was putting everything away. Second time no problems. Great location. So much too shoot. Didn't have it in me to venture into any of the buildings.

How close were you were standing? Or did you use Ground Station? I'm guessing you maintained LOS to maintain control.

djsydvicious said:
How close were you were standing? Or did you use Ground Station? I'm guessing you maintained LOS to maintain control.
No Ground Station. Maybe one day, but LOS, I guess. It was actually my first run using an FPV. I have a severe sensitivity to sunlight and getting the FPV really helped with what I'm seeing. Of course I look like an idiot to bystanders ;)

jgarraffo said:
This was actually a two day shoot. The first day I was harassed as I was putting everything away.
By the Town or by the police?
When i was there it was a Town maintenance guy. He was nice enough but I was so bummed when he rolled up... I knew why he was there.
I've never had a good experience with Suffolk County cops so I should consider myself lucky there.

jgarraffo said:
Didn't have it in me to venture into any of the buildings.
Sometime in the late 90's I ventured into building 93 and it was honestly pretty scarey but very cool too. There were still a lot of medical documents and staff/patient year books (or something along those lines) that dated back decades just laying around on the first floor. I wish I had grabbed something.

Lots of pics of 93 here including interior and links to other, nowhere near as ominous, buildings on the grounds for anyone interested. (not my site/pics)

Farside said:
By the Town or by the police?
When i was there it was a Town maintenance guy. He was nice enough but I was so bummed when he rolled up... I knew why he was there.
I've never had a good experience with Suffolk County cops so I should consider myself lucky there.

Same here. It was just department of public works, workers. They're harmless and smile while giving you a warning but I'm sure have local PD on speed dial. I was in no rush to get any fines. Plus I was packing up, so I was truthful when I told him I was leaving :)

Farside said:
Sometime in the late 90's I ventured into building 93 and it was honestly pretty scarey but very cool too. There were still a lot of medical documents and staff/patient year books (or something along those lines) that dated back decades just laying around on the first floor. I wish I had grabbed something.

Lots of pics of 93 here including interior and links to other, nowhere near as ominous, buildings on the grounds for anyone interested. (not my site/pics)

I went to every open window and tried to take in everything. I even brought my 12-year old daughter back with me to see how awesome it is. I can't say I believe in ghosts, so that's not what had the hairs standing on my neck. It was more the "squatters" that probably wouldn't welcome people walking inside their buildings. Those pics are awesome. I would love to have seen it first hand. I have my eye on another abandoned place upstate. Might take a drive tomorrow. We'll see.

Typical NY - the land of the free? NOT!!!! NY is the land where you're not free to do anything other than what TPTB let you do which is why I moved south and haven't regretted it one iota!!! :)

Nice shots though, glad you got out of there w/o getting caught. :)

I love the music you put with video,some of it was so slow it looked like you was walking,kool

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing