A Question about FAA Reg.

• Thread starter Deleted member 118536
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 118536

Where I live a Local news Meteorologist is one of two drone pilots for the Local TV station . He not only seems to go against FAA Guidelines ,The TV station use the footage as a commercial. Filming business that have publicly stated they don't wont drones flying / filming , forcing the businesses to push for Legislation through the state senate to make a no fly company / business list . Flying at night over car crashes , flying inside a 5 mile radios of a airport .(This is hear say but was told to me by the helicopter pilot ) Even causing the halt of a life flight air rescue where a teenager had there legs severed . Does anyone know how they can do this ?

Where I live a Local news Meteorologist is one of two drone pilots for the Local TV station . He not only seems to go against FAA Guidelines ,The TV station use the footage as a commercial. Filming business that have publicly stated they don't wont drones flying / filming , forcing the businesses to push for Legislation through the state senate to make a no fly company / business list . Flying at night over car crashes , flying inside a 5 mile radios of a airport .(This is hear say but was told to me by the helicopter pilot ) Even causing the halt of a life flight air rescue where a teenager had there legs severed . Does anyone know how they can do this ?
They can't. If you can gather evidence and report them to the FAA, they will take care of the rest.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
They can't. If you can gather evidence and report them to the FAA, they will take care of the rest.
Don't need to gather it they air it serval times a day . That's why I thought they knew something I didn't.

What makes your think they don't have the credentials to do stuff like this? I can't imagine a News station so blatantly doing this because they were notified many times even back as early as 2014 and many times since.

If your confident they are doing this type of work illegally then report them to the FAA and let the FAA investigate. Here's a link so you can report it and get an investigation started :

FAA Hotline Reporting Form

Reactions: N42742 and Ansia
What makes your think they don't have the credentials to do stuff like this? I can't imagine a News station so blatantly doing this because they were notified many times even back as early as 2014 and many times since.

If your confident they are doing this type of work illegally then report them to the FAA and let the FAA investigate. Here's a link so you can report it and get an investigation started :

FAA Hotline Reporting Form
I'm not saying its illegal or legal . i'm just saying what they show on TV and asking how ?

I was looking for a car crash at night that they filmed while ambulances and fire trucks where there . couldn't find it but they are filming at night and over a crowd ?

Last edited by a moderator:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I was looking for a car crash at night that they filmed while ambulances and fire trucks where there . couldn't find it but they are filming at night and over a crowd ?

Sorry bud but that video doesn't show them specifically flying over people.

They may have a waiver for night flying, and there is no prohibition on flying within 5 miles of an airport if they are Part 107 certified, which they would have to be for this kind of work. If it isn't Class G airspace they may also have a waiver to fly there. Disrupting an emergency flight would contravene Part 107, if that actually happened.

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with flying at night. And over people means just that, over people. They have a be directly over people, and there is no way to tell from that video.

If it is verified that they caused a delay in a flight for life operation, then they could get in big trouble. But there would have to be proof. If that happened, I'm sure they have already been contacted about that. First responders take that very seriously.

As far as "Filming business that have publicly stated they don't wont drones flying / filming , forcing the businesses to push for Legislation through the state senate to make a no fly company / business list", I have no idea what you mean by this.

Reactions: BigAl07
...I just ran in to that exact problem with city-level legislation stopping my commercial flights - san juan capistrano now has laws in place to establish no fly zones over a list of buildings you must consult - also: they enacted a rule stating you must gain written permission for every property you fly over, effectively killing my wedding aerial establishing videos which require me to fly over vast stretches of properties near the venue and will not pay anywhere near what it would take in extra labor to secure that process - all very frustrating as the FAA is the only agency that is supposed to be able to regulate the national airspace, but local law is doing it anyway...GRRRRRRR!

The best thing you can do is learn all the regulations pertaining to part 107 and then understand the type of airspace you want to operate in. No individual can regulate the federal airspace. There may be local ordinances, but they are non binding. Only the FAA control air space in the Continental United States and I have taken NOAA all the way to DC and prevailed. Just know your applicable regulations and your rights. Approach it as a professional and there shouldn’ be a problem.

The best thing you can do is learn all the regulations pertaining to part 107 and then understand the type of airspace you want to operate in. No individual can regulate the federal airspace. There may be local ordinances, but they are non binding. Only the FAA control air space in the Continental United States and I have taken NOAA all the way to DC and prevailed. Just know your applicable regulations and your rights. Approach it as a professional and there shouldn’ be a problem.
FAA controls all US states and protectorates as well.

What is NOAA?

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
They control the Marine Sanctuaries. But who they are doesn't matter. FAA is the sole entity for airspace regulation. Any airspace restriction must go through them.

...I just ran in to that exact problem with city-level legislation stopping my commercial flights - san juan capistrano now has laws in place to establish no fly zones over a list of buildings you must consult - also: they enacted a rule stating you must gain written permission for every property you fly over, effectively killing my wedding aerial establishing videos which require me to fly over vast stretches of properties near the venue and will not pay anywhere near what it would take in extra labor to secure that process - all very frustrating as the FAA is the only agency that is supposed to be able to regulate the national airspace, but local law is doing it anyway...GRRRRRRR!

Have we forgotten about "Sensitive" structures? The FAA does allow certain types of "Sensitive" structures to also be restricted from flying over. Is it possible that list of buildings could fall under "Sensitive Structures"?

Here where I live the county has enacted ordinances against flying over the jail, prison, court house, and DSS structures as all are deemed "sensitive".

Have we forgotten about "Sensitive" structures? The FAA does allow certain types of "Sensitive" structures to also be restricted from flying over. Is it possible that list of buildings could fall under "Sensitive Structures"?

Here where I live the county has enacted ordinances against flying over the jail, prison, court house, and DSS structures as all are deemed "sensitive".
They are doing it until you challenge them. You won’t get support from the FAA unless you have a valid reason for the mission. People do not own the airspace above their house. San Juan Capistrano has no authority whatsoever to regulate airspace. But if the can intimidate you they will. Looks like they have.

They are doing it until you challenge them. You won’t get support from the FAA unless you have a valid reason for the mission. People do not own the airspace above their house. San Juan Capistrano has no authority whatsoever to regulate airspace. But if the can intimidate you they will. Looks like they have.

Easy there... you have no clue what you're talking about.

It's not a Free-For-All out there. Certain buildings and areas SHOULD be off limits to our sUAS.

Are you allowed to walk into just any building and go anywhere you like? NO! There are locks... walls...fences... The same should be in the air. Do you think jails and prisons should NOT be restricted areas?

I'm far from intiimidated... in fact I was asked to come in as a consultant when our county was drafting sUAS restrictions and with some input from me they were drafted in a fair yet Public Safety conscious manner. I've been around the block a time or TEN.....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.