A new warning message for me....

Reaction score
Generally I always get the "caution strong winds" message pop up, even when it's a pretty still day, something they still haven't fixed in a firmware update yet but whilst out this morning again, reasonably still day with a slight breeze I got a warning stating extremely high winds, or words to a similar effect, please return to home carefully. I ignored it and carried on without any issues.

Becoming a bit of a pain in the rear.

Have you done an IMU calibration? I know sometimes when these warnings come up its due to a bad calibration.

I have never seen that message and I have flown in some pretty strong winds. Something I typically do no care to do and I always land when the wind picks up.

I have never seen that message and I have flown in some pretty strong winds. Something I typically do no care to do and I always land when the wind picks up.
Well the DJI go 4 app did just get an update so who knows if that has something to do with it

Generally I always get the "caution strong winds" message pop up, even when it's a pretty still day, something they still haven't fixed in a firmware update yet but whilst out this morning again, reasonably still day with a slight breeze I got a warning stating extremely high winds, or words to a similar effect, please return to home carefully. I ignored it and carried on without any issues.
Continue to ignore it.
It's a false alarm due to a wrong value in DJI's programming.
Many flyers get this when they fly, even in near calm conditions.

Continue to ignore it.
It's a false alarm due to a wrong value in DJI's programming.
Many flyers get this when they fly, even in near calm conditions.

Yes. I normally get a strong winds message but this was a new version of it. I'm sure its because the Go App 4 was updated yesterday and they have added it

Sometimes winds 50-100 feet above can be a lot stronger than winds at the surface. Put chopper in atti-mode and let it drift After a moment or two the chopper will be drifting with the wind. Read out the speed on your controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: azgeek
I am completely up to date, the only time I get a High Wind Warning, the wind is blowing. Maybe it is not at ground level, but above, it is. That is where many seem to misunderstand the situation. Just because it is calm or light on the ground, does not mean the wind is not strong just above it.

Sometimes winds 50-100 feet above can be a lot stronger than winds at the surface. Put chopper in atti-mode and let it drift After a minute or so the chopper will be drifting with the wind. Read out the speed on your controller.

Yes and sometimes it's the complete opposite!

Reactions: Chopperimage
That whole wind warning feature is BS. DJI should have given everyone the option to turn it off, like other features. This is DJI's arrogance being big brother, treating everyone like children, as if we don't have a brain to realize the wind is blowing. Heck, if your top speed is 50mph, or 20mph, you know something is up, unless you're a total duffuss. It's so simple to measure the wind in ATTI if you suspect something. But NOOOOO. DJI couldn't simply produce a video to show everyone how to detect and measure winds at altitude with a little common sense, they just decided everyone would like to get a wind warning in 5mph winds.

Is this feature broke? NO! After all, they did validate their software before it was released, right? And they haven't fixed it yet, and it's been over 6 months since this started. So this is working exactly how they want it to work. Geeze Louise. And people wonder why DJI can't be trusted??

Next thing you know they'll only allow you to fly 3 batteries in a 2yr timeframe, being afraid that pilots might be too fatigued to fly more than 60min in a 120min time period. I can hear the RC now......"Hey you idiot.... take a break, LAND NOW, you need time to recoup!" :eek:

Don't laugh, it could happen.

OK, that's enough of my cynical sarcastic rant...:p

Last edited:
Sometimes winds 50-100 feet above can be a lot stronger than winds at the surface. Put chopper in atti-mode and let it drift After a minute or so the chopper will be drifting with the wind. Read out the speed on your controller.
It's more like 15-20 seconds. Just watch the drift speed in ATTI, when the MPH number quits increasing, that's your wind speed at that elevation. This usually takes 15 to 20 seconds, not a minute.

Last edited:
Or just maybe, they saw a huge increase in runaways (attributed by data to high winds), people cried foul, they replaced them. So they put a warning in there, to inform you that there could be high winds aloft. I for one, don't mind them, but as I said, EVERY time I get one, I listen to the drone and can hear it buffeting in high winds, motors sounds fluttering as it attempts to stay stable. This must use a lot of battery power, not to mention stress on the airframe. So, instead of getting upset about them, I try to pay attention to the sound of my drone.

Just flew with the wife present, to show here how stable and simple it was to fly. The winds were no more than 10mph, when I put the drone on the ground, predictions were for up to 15mph,over the next hour. Got one warning, when a gust came through, shortly after launch, the trees waved a bit, so maybe just over 15mph or so. Shortly after, I gained altitude to 90 feet, I got a lot of drift, even in P mode, but it wasn't making the noise associated with gusts, I brought it back closer, from about 1,100 feet and down to 75. Then I got several warnings, the tops of the trees began to show the choppy winds from the wind gradient. I was 300 feet upwind, when I turned to home, it went so quickly, we didn't even hear it pass over, then I saw the distance rising, stopped and turned it around and brought it down. It was bouncing around a bit, but I did manage to catch it, didn't trust landing it on the asphalt bike path.

Now, the warnings came with the first gusts, but not sure what the craft was experiencing as far as speed of those winds. But as the winds descended toward ground level, the wind warnings became constant until I got it in my hand.

This same thing happened a week ago, winds came as I went up, the warning only came when the gusts were enough to cause the motors to sound off,

Maybe mine is working as intended, I can't say. But so far, wind warnings have been when winds at ground level were less than 10mph, However, I am certain that the winds aloft were higher, the power it took to come back against the winds was obvious.

Now, I would wonder if these warnings have a purpose, if they are real as they seem to have been for me. If I lose the drone and hit RTH, it can only do 20 for the P4P I believe. So, if you are down wind and the wind is 15mph, your drone may not make it at 5mph or less before the battery is depleted. So, perhaps the warning "Fly with caution" or as I thought I saw too "Fly with Extreme Caution" could have something to do with this speed, nothing more.

Lots of people have apparently lost there drones as they flew away, full throttle, going backwards. There have been recent threads about this, I am sure you have read them. So, if no one wants to believe there are possibly winds aloft, that they cannot see or have no ability to be aware of, maybe DJI felt a warning might save a few craft and a lot of unpleasant conversations with unhappy customers?
Just another possible point of view.:D

My point of views are:
1. They are not accurate, most are totally false information.
2. Because of the false readings, 90% of the pilots ignore them, which proves the warnings are useless.
3. They annoy most pilots, and cover up the screen
4. They distract from flying, wasting time and focus on the shot by having to cancel out the message too often
5. This feature needs a DISABLE option for those that feel confident to use common sense
6. An audio warning would be a more effective method of warning, but only if they can get it to work right.

Reactions: gt40pilot
My point of views are:
1. They are not accurate, most are totally false information.
2. Because of the false readings, 90% of the pilots ignore them, which proves the warnings are useless.
3. They annoy most pilots, and cover up the screen
4. They distract from flying, wasting time and focus on the shot by having to cancel out the message too often
5. This feature needs a DISABLE option for those that feel confident to use common sense
6. An audio warning would be a more effective method of warning, but only if they can get it to work right.
To be honest with you, unless I can't argue against your point, having never gotten a false wind warning.

It's more like 15-20 seconds. Just watch the drift speed in ATTI, when the MPH number quits increasing, that's your wind speed at that elevation. This usually takes 15 to 20 seconds, not a minute.

Ok. Its also at that altitude not elevation. With aircraft we talk in terms of altitude. Elevation is in terms of terrain.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj