A mate was threatened by a stranger with a gun - In the UK.

Reaction score
As per title, messaged a mate to let him know about the latest IOS Go App update, he sends a message back just saying he was threatened by a guy with a gun when he was flying,
Rural Derbyshire - near a tramway museum . . .

I cant say I have had any issues, a few come over curious, but not aggressive or threatening,
certainly rare in the UK to get that with a firearm.

I wouldn't put it past anybody nowadays here in uk, simply as we're living beyond our means and having media push us towards a competitive lifestyle. Add that to what our peers do (behind closed doors), then sprinkle some form of drug substance over that. It's not a nice concoction really!

It's easier to be at the bottom where life is scarce and fight eye for an eye etc. Sadly the system/government is no longer putting the country first and making it a trend of their flavours. Then us as the general public become detached and think **** **. Don't get me wrong I would not condone such actions you describe, I've got what I have through hard work so it is possible to achieve. However I soon realised once you've got something, everyone seems to want it from you. Even the governmental service sadly.....

Reactions: MTO
Sounds like you live in the states. Lol
I guess it’s the same everywhere.
I don’t have much money and I am retired. I have no bills but utilities. My wife had a problem with me when we first got married. It wasn’t the way her mother lived. I felt sorry for her Dad working himself into the grave. My wife came around and is very happy about our lifestyle.

Let use know more if there is any update on your friend?

Reactions: MTO and Oso
The worst thing is, this is no type of Chav City,these are in and around a million pound properties,
Someone else mentions that they may have something to hide, so want to keep people away and looking.

If that happened to me, I would promptly conform with the guys demand to land right away and leave the area. No video is worth your life, right? However, when I get close to landing, I would capture on video a view showing the guy holding the gun, brandishing it illegally, assuming he still has it out, and showing, when you land.

I did this once with a policeman to show still shots to the judge in court. I won, and the photo evidence helped to show I was innocent of the unreasonable trespassing citation. A guy with a gun will unlikely realize he's being videotaped, just like my cop, as long as you come in an land quickly and leave. Later you can press charges, if you so desire, with compelling video/photo evidence. I realize that thinking about capturing the gunman on video, while the gun is pointed at you may be hard to do, but that's what I'd try to do. If you land and he questions you about taking video of him, then giving him the SD card is an option, depending on the situation. However, it should be cached in the iPad video at 720 resolution. He likely won't know a second copy of the video is in the iPad.

However, it should be cached in the iPad video at 720 resolution. He likely won't know a second copy of the video is in the iPad.
Unless, like me, I have that turned off.

If you land and he questions you about taking video of him, then giving him the SD card is an option, depending on the situation.

Police can request to see image-video.
And they may ask you to delete -- you don't have to...
(unless you were breaking a law, such as invasion of privacy
& deleting is the option offered instead of arrest)
It is against law for police to delete or take memory card.

I guess nobody bothered to ask: flying around million dollar properties? Yeah, no body would be concerned with that. Especially those property owners who might have armed security guards protecting their privacy

I guess nobody bothered to ask: flying around million dollar properties? Yeah, no body would be concerned with that. Especially those property owners who might have armed security guards protecting their privacy
Million dollar homes are the norm here in Scottsdale. Not a single security guard. Even for the 10 million dollar and up homes.

The game changes if you are suspected of an offence and taken into custody. No great difficulty in getting access to the files then, even in circumstances where they needed a warrant. Almost a trivial exercise.

we flew a commercial job in the summer (also UK) and during the booking discussions we were told that we would need a full security team as the tenant farmer (not the land owner) had a nasty habit of pulling guns on anybody that strayed onto 'his' land. The price was good, they offered their own security guys as well to back up ours. We hadn't been flying for more than five minutes when the farmer turned up with a shotgun shooting at our drone (about 300m away and 100m high). The security team tackled him to the ground (one got shot in the leg) and a Police Armed Response team arrived in about five minutes :)

We carried on filming and we are back on the site again next week :D

Go through the motions of deleting the file.

Thank you very much, ocifer!

Then stick the card into your computer and un-delete the file. ;)

we flew a commercial job in the summer (also UK) and during the booking discussions we were told that we would need a full security team as the tenant farmer (not the land owner) had a nasty habit of pulling guns on anybody that strayed onto 'his' land. The price was good, they offered their own security guys as well to back up ours. We hadn't been flying for more than five minutes when the farmer turned up with a shotgun shooting at our drone (about 300m away and 100m high). The security team tackled him to the ground (one got shot in the leg) and a Police Armed Response team arrived in about five minutes :)

We carried on filming and we are back on the site again next week :D
Where was this ?

Go through the motions of deleting the file.

Thank you very much, ocifer!

Then stick the card into your computer and un-delete the file. ;)

Can you clarify what you mean by "going through the motions"?

I'm not aware of a way to "delete" a file on the SD card while it's in the drone, other than reformatting the SD which erases everything, permanent. Are you suggesting to delete the cached copy in the iPad, implying the SD was erased to the officer, when it's really not?

If I'm missing your point, please explain the "delete" steps you're referring to, and then how that's resurrected in a PC. I'm unaware of that process too, if it's actually deleted from the SD in the drone using the RC and app interface.

Can you clarify what you mean by "going through the motions"?

I'm not aware of a way to "delete" a file on the SD card while it's in the drone, other than reformatting the SD which erases everything, permanent. Are you suggesting to delete the cached copy in the iPad, implying the SD was erased to the officer, when it's really not?

If I'm missing your point, please explain the "delete" steps you're referring to, and then how that's resurrected in a PC. I'm unaware of that process too, if it's actually deleted from the SD in the drone using the RC and app interface.
Many options...

I did think there was a delete option in DJI Go but I could be totally crazy.

Frankly I didn't even think about the cache files. That would be great!

FYI the format option in DJI Go is a "quick" format as far as I know. That is, it does not go and erase data on the entire storage volume. There is a plethora of PC, Mac and Linux software that can recover files from formatted storage media. It can be fairly reliable if you, like me, format the media before every recording session.

Or if you have a smartphone, tablet or laptop with a card reader, delete the file(s) that way, and again, recover them later when Officer Cartman is gone. Deleting that way, depending on the platform and configuration, you may even be able to recover the file(s) from the "recycle bin".

Just make sure you don't use that card at all until you are ready to recover the file(s).

Many options...

I did think there was a delete option in DJI Go but I could be totally crazy.

Frankly I didn't even think about the cache files. That would be great!

FYI the format option in DJI Go is a "quick" format as far as I know. That is, it does not go and erase data on the entire storage volume. There is a plethora of PC, Mac and Linux software that can recover files from formatted storage media. It can be fairly reliable if you, like me, format the media before every recording session.

Or if you have a smartphone, tablet or laptop with a card reader, delete the file(s) that way, and again, recover them later when Officer Cartman is gone. Deleting that way, depending on the platform and configuration, you may even be able to recover the file(s) from the "recycle bin".

Just make sure you don't use that card at all until you are ready to recover the file(s).
OK, now I know what you meant. I don't carry other H/W with me to delete a file, so a quick reformat in the drone would be the only way I think, for me (other than the cached video trick).

I wasn't aware of PC utilities to resurrect an SD card after a quick format. I would have to change my ways, as I don't reformat the card each time I dump video off the card. I simply delete my video files off the card using my PC after downloading and post editing, because I know the previous card formatting of the card is in working order. Call me paranoid, but if I reformat, there's always the possibility I won't know the new formatting is flawed until I'm in the air, which is too late. Not that my way is easier or better, but simply because that's my preferred routine and it's always worked.

OK, now I know what you meant. I don't carry other H/W with me to delete a file, so a quick reformat in the drone would be the only way I think, for me (other than the cached video trick).

I wasn't aware of PC utilities to resurrect an SD card after a quick format. I would have to change my ways, as I don't reformat the card each time I dump video off the card. I simply delete my video files off the card using my PC after downloading and post editing, because I know the previous card formatting of the card is in working order. Call me paranoid, but if I reformat, there's always the possibility I won't know the new formatting is flawed until I'm in the air, which is too late. Not that my way is easier or better, but simply because that's my preferred routine and it's always worked.
The matter of formatting or not, and/or how, is almost religious in the forums here.

No need to change what works for you.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.