A Few Questions

Reaction score
My Brother is a photographer and is very interested in buying a drone, he asked me to look into it. I have been very interested in drones for a long time but I am extremely green so please bear with me. He's looking for one that has a range of at least a mile, has or can have a camera attached and is in the price range of $400 or less. I'm only asking because you guysare the experts, I can find good priced drones all day but I'm not sure of the quality. Obviously we're not looking for the bestwith the price range I mentioned but I was hoping you guys New of a decent one anyways. Also we were wondering if itwas possible to just set some coordinates and have the drone go there and back on auto pilot? Please let us know if you canthink of anything and Thanks for your patience

I can get him like new phantom 3 std package with extra batteries and all needed accessories and dji care warranty good till June 2019 . For $330 shipped. No one will offer you a better deal. ;)

Reactions: High over Jax
My Brother is a photographer and is very interested in buying a drone, he asked me to look into it. I have been very interested in drones for a long time but I am extremely green so please bear with me. He's looking for one that has a range of at least a mile, has or can have a camera attached and is in the price range of $400 or less. I'm only asking because you guysare the experts, I can find good priced drones all day but I'm not sure of the quality. Obviously we're not looking for the bestwith the price range I mentioned but I was hoping you guys New of a decent one anyways. Also we were wondering if itwas possible to just set some coordinates and have the drone go there and back on auto pilot? Please let us know if you canthink of anything and Thanks for your patience
I don't think you will find anything with that kind of range distance at that price point. However, a Phantom 3 Standard takes pretty good video and photos and can be flown autonomously (auto pilot, sort of) with an additionaly $25 investment in software. It's called Litchi.

Hi,

For that price range, yes you can look at a used Phantom 3 Standard OR you can look at a Spark. The Spark does not have the 3-axis gimbal but it takes great photos and video. It is also much more portable. In a city setting you won't get a mile out of either the Spark or the Phantom.

I've owned both and out of the two, I would fly the Spark. in fact I still have my Spark and I sold my Phantom 3 Standard.

Stop spreading fake news about Phantom 3 range.
You can easily fly more than a mile with Phantom 3 std. by using litchi and autonomous flight. Your connection with control will be interrupted but mission will go on and drone will return to the point you program it to return. It will reconnect to controller upon return.
Here is the proof me flying very same Phantom 3 I’m trying to sell. With litchi mission and one POI
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Spreading unsafe and illegal flight practices is not fake but is irresponsible, if I can borrow your first sentence.
What about VLOS? What about responsible flying?
By such practice one can literary take off from the home spot and then go for a cold drink. After 15min he returns and land the Phantom (or other drone capable) which is hovering over the home point. Very nice?

Explain flying illegal?
I’m already avoiding creating threats so that part is boring.

Here is 55 pages of unsafe out of VLOS flying

Last edited:
Stop spreading fake news about Phantom 3 range.
You can easily fly more than a mile with Phantom 3 std. by using litchi and autonomous flight. Your connection with control will be interrupted but mission will go on and drone will return to the point you program it to return. It will reconnect to controller upon return.
Here is the proof me flying very same Phantom 3 I’m trying to sell. With litchi mission and one POI
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
There is no fake news here. The usable range of any drone is the maximum transmission distance between the remote control and the drone. Yes Litchi and other software can program a drone for autonomous missions. However as soon as you let your consumer grade single-point-of-failure drone fly autonomously without any contact to the remote, you are flying recklessly.

What happens if there is a low flying plane in the area? What happens if your flight planning takes it over people and the drone has an issue? Will you take responsibility for the consequences?

(Moderator Removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
My choice was a Phantom 3 Standard. The price was $440. The machine is everything I wanted. I am not a professional. It is easy to fly and operate. More expensive models have avoidance and other features but after three years I am still amazed at what the P3S can do. The videos and pics are great. The 1080 P camera comes with it. You can use Litchi to go a mile or more away but your bird would be out of sight. I have never been disappointed with mine.

Last edited:
Ok folks.... I've cleaned this thread, issued warnings, and I hope that gets things back on track.

Feel free to debate all you want but do NOT make it personal or rude. If you have ANY questions about what I've done or the rules feel free to PM me or review the Community Guidelines at:

There is no fake news here. The usable range of any drone is the maximum transmission distance between the remote control and the drone. Yes Litchi and other software can program a drone for autonomous missions. However as soon as you let your consumer grade single-point-of-failure drone fly autonomously without any contact to the remote, you are flying recklessly.

What happens if there is a low flying plane in the area? What happens if your flight planning takes it over people and the drone has an issue? Will you take responsibility for the consequences?

(Moderator Removed)

ROFLMAO
If we lived asking ourselves "what if" we would still eating raw meat in caves. Cause what if???

ROFLMAO
If we lived asking ourselves "what if" we would still eating raw meat in caves. Cause what if???

AVIATION is all about the What If.... while flying (in the aircraft) pilots are always saying, What if this happens now...

To be ignoring the What If is very much like sticking your head in the sand and pretending nothing bad could ever happen. . . .

ROFLMAO
I don't even understand what that means. Actually the opposite is true.

When neanderthal man was eating meat in caves, they imagined what if I made a tool? What if I could find a better way to slay that animal?

At the same time, what is more germane to this conversation is that the caveman knew exactly what laws of the wild need to be followed in order to ensure their safety. They didn't jump off a cliff just to wonder "what if I jump off this cliff?". Without rules and laws we have anarchy. Sure some are stupid laws that should be repealed, but others are common sense to protect those around us. Letting your consumer-grade drone fly autonomously while out of range of your remote is one of those cases where the intelligent people decide that it's not only against the law but it's also not the prudent and safe thing to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Flying toy drone is not aviation.
That is what silly about whole situation. How many drones out there? 2.2 million was sold in 2017 by dji alone. How many plane crashes they caused? Case and point. Zero.

Firearms regulated up and down. With all possible laws on a book. Still there is a Chicago that is literally like Mogadishu every weekend.

Same with drones.
No one in their right mind want to cause any problems. Not at sea. Not in air. Not on a road. Incidents and accidents does happen and will happen - it’s a sign of our progress.
But it doesn’t mean that drone flying over Fenway over a baseball game should get more media attention than 100 violent crimes happened same day in Boston.

I don't even understand what that means. Actually the opposite is true.

When neanderthal man was eating meat in caves, they imagined what if I made a tool? What if I could find a better way to slay that animal?

At the same time, what is more germane to this conversation is that the caveman knew exactly what laws of the wild need to be followed in order to ensure their safety. They didn't jump off a cliff just to wonder "what if I jump off this cliff?". Without rules and laws we have anarchy. Sure some are stupid laws that should be repealed, but others are common sense to protect those around us. Letting your consumer-grade drone fly autonomously while out of range of your remote is one of those cases where the intelligent people decide that it's not only against the law but it's also not the prudent and safe thing to do.

You really need to stop talking like you represent intelligent people. Or represent anyone else but you and your opinion.

Illegal by definition is forbidden by law. Show me a single law that forbids drone flying autonomous.

Drone flying autonomously isn't forbidden by law. What is forbidden by law is flying BVLOS. They are 2 completely different matters. When you send your drone 1 mile out autonomously, and you cannot override mid flight, it is considered illegal.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
“Unmanned Aircraft Safety Team (UAST) Drone Sightings Working Group released a new report on the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) 3,714 drone sightings reports collected by flight crews, air traffic controllers and citizens from November 2015 to March 2017. The report found that only a small percentage of drone reports pose a safety risk, while the vast majority are simply sightings.”

3,714 sightings out of millions drones. No crashes.
I’d say start regulating cars. 30000 deaths a year.

Drone flying autonomously isn't forbidden by law. What is forbidden by law is flying BVLOS. They are 2 completely different matters. When you send your drone 1 mile out autonomously, and you cannot override mid flight, it is considered illegal.

View attachment 110597
FFA regulations are not law.
Show me where it is a law!
You got entire 55 pages of this very forum dedicated to flying far beyond VLOS. Go preach there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.