A Few Questions

3,714 sightings out of millions drones. No crashes.
I’d say start regulating cars. 30000 deaths a year.

First off cars ARE regulated! They require LICENSES, REGISTRATION, and LEGAL OPERATION.

How bad do you think it would be if they were NOT regulated No speed limits... no stop signs/traffic lights.....

You really need to stop talking like you represent intelligent people. Or represent anyone else but you and your opinion.
I do represent the same opinion as many intelligent people who fly responsibly and within both the boundaries of FAA laws and good community guidelines.

Illegal by definition is forbidden by law. Show me a single law that forbids drone flying autonomous.
Autonomous in itself is not illegal. You can fly autonomously as long as the drone is within VLOS and you have a means to control the craft in case something goes wrong. In your case you had neither (no VLOS and no ability to manually control the drone).

The regulations as they stand today for recreational flyers preclude flying beyond VLOS as safety measures decided by community based organizations.

For Part 107 commercial operations you would be breaking multiple laws:
  • 107.31: VLOS
  • 107.37: Ability to yield right of way
  • 107.33: VO if not within VLOS

First off cars ARE regulated! They require LICENSES, REGISTRATION, and LEGAL OPERATION.

How bad do you think it would be if they were NOT regulated No speed limits... no stop signs/traffic lights.....
Exactly!! They are regulated but causing 30000 deaths year after year.
What would happen to drones after causing 300 deaths in single plane crash? Probably outright ban to own.
And that is my point. Government let one industry kill us while trying to do everything to make drone industry die.

Again. It’s not a law. Regulation , guideline whatever else but law.

CFRs are indeed law... sometimes called Administrative Law but Codified into Law by Congresss.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Exactly!! They are regulated but causing 30000 deaths year after year.
What would happen to drones after causing 300 deaths in single plane crash? Probably outright ban to own.
And that is my point. Government let one industry kill us while trying to do everything to make drone industry die.

Convenient how you didn't address my main part of the question... if they weren't regulated how many MORE deaths with there be?

You can't have you cake and eat it to. Cars ARE regulated.

Convenient how you didn't address my main part of the question... if they weren't regulated how many MORE deaths with there be?

You can't have you cake and eat it to. Cars ARE regulated.
I’m replying to 3 persons at onse. Stop being an [Language removed by Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to debate and disagree all you like but do not delve into the gutters and resort to insults and language. This forums is all about that nonsense.

Reactions: dirkclod and Ansia
FFA regulations are not law.
Show me where it is a law!
You got entire 55 pages of this very forum dedicated to flying far beyond VLOS. Go preach there.
They certainly are LAWS.

FAA regulations are part of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations. They can and are enforced with the full force of the US Government.

So if the FAA regulations are not laws, that means you can just get in the cockpit of a 777 jumbo jet and fly at will? Airline pilots, airports, airplanes, and all other airspace regulations are governed by the same FAA regulations that you say are not laws. Go ahead and try flying an airplane without a pilot's license. Tell me how it goes when you try explaining that FAA regulations are not laws. Maybe someone here will visit you in the penitentiary...then again probably not.

Your brother’s pricing objective is reasonable. Most importantly, though, you and your brother should become fully familiar with the FAA rules/guidelines if you live in the USA. If the photography is for commercial purposes, the pilot MUST be certified. If there is no commercial intent, in my opinion, while not being a certified pilot, a drone pilot should still be fully knowledgable with FAA safety objectIves and how to meet them.

Reactions: BigAl07
You got entire 55 pages of this very forum dedicated to flying far beyond VLOS. Go preach there.

Here are a couple of quotes directly from the FAA (Understanding Your Authority: Handling Sightings and Reports)

"Federal Aviation Regulations prohibit the unsafe or unauthorized operation of an aircraft, including drones. Unsafe operations may result in substantial civil penalties and possible action against an operator's FAA-issued certificate, or may be subject to criminal response by law enforcement in accordance with local laws and ordinances. "

"The FAA is responsible for the safety of U.S. airspace. There are multiple options to fly A drone legally, however if an operator chooses not to follow those requirements he/she could face civil penalties and potential criminal prosecution. "

In general, FAA regulations currently do not permit pilots, either commercial or hobby to fly beyond VLOS (Recreational Fliers & Modeler Community-Based Organizations). So if you do so without a waiver from the FAA it is a violation of FAA regulations and you can face penalties or prosecution.

So is a violation of FAA regulations a criminal offense? The FAA typically won't go after a criminal prosecution, but it doesn't save you from civil prosecution.

Of course, you could just ignore FAA regulations, not register your phantom, and fly VLOS without a waiver, but I think most responsible operators who want to stay out of trouble are not going to do that.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Federal regulations are just as enforceable, by federal authorities.
Congress passed l;legislation giving them authority, so yes is based in law.
When get that hefty fine when crash into a crowd, forbid a plane, other issues, will think otherwise
Not saying Farmer John flying over his land looking at cattle never getting near 400AGL would have an issue, no one will ever know, then there are low flying crop dusting operations, opps.
I have a good bit of open property, and have all kinds of ultralights, para-gliders hot air balloons operating under 400AGL over me at times so having to be very careful and always VLOS, if not could easily collide with one of them, the the feds show up. So autonomous flying good only for emergency RTH flight but should never fly without VLOS.

Reactions: BigAl07
Federal regulations are just as enforceable, by federal authorities.
Congress passed l;legislation giving them authority, so yes is based in law.
When get that hefty fine when crash into a crowd, forbid a plane, other issues, will think otherwise
Not saying Farmer John flying over his land looking at cattle never getting near 400AGL would have an issue, no one will ever know, then there are low flying crop dusting operations, opps.
I have a good bit of open property, and have all kinds of ultralights, para-gliders hot air balloons operating under 400AGL over me at times so having to be very careful and always VLOS, if not could easily collide with one of them, the the feds show up. So autonomous flying good only for emergency RTH flight but should never fly without VLOS.
Excellent reply but don't expect an answer from Drone107 because his account is currently "banned".

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl