A bit warm.

So it is going to be about 115 here tomorrow. Who among you would send your bird up given that temp?
As long as there was a tree to stand under for some shade I would !! Might not go far but why not .

I have flown my P1's many times at temps of up to 45c (113f) and have not had any problems.
Normal flight times,motors not hot and no sign of abnormal heat from the electronics,ESC's etc.
Batteries no warmer than usual after flights.

I've started using my phantom as a mobile fan, set it to follow me then fly it about 4 feet from me head, lovely down draughts. Keeps me nice & cool:D

I did a couple flights here in Tucson yesterday morning when it was only about 90. I took a cooler with frozen water bottles to put the batteries in after the flights. Now-a-days the only time to fly is about 5:30 a.m.

I have flown my P1's many times at temps of up to 45c (113f) and have not had any problems.
Normal flight times,motors not hot and no sign of abnormal heat from the electronics,ESC's etc.
Batteries no warmer than usual after flights.
Good information, thanks.

I did a couple flights here in Tucson yesterday morning when it was only about 90. I took a cooler with frozen water bottles to put the batteries in after the flights. Now-a-days the only time to fly is about 5:30 a.m.
I lived quite a few years in Tucson, went to high school there as well.

I've been doing a lot of flying in Luang Prabang, Laos. Yesterday morning, I flew at high altitude (LPB is at roughly 7000 feet) and high heat and saw something that really concerned me. I use a 1st Generation Nexus 7. All of my gear spent the night in a frosty airconditioned bungalow. When I took the Nexus out of my back pack, it started acting really weird.

The whole tablet was acting squirrely, but the icon for the DJI app was scooting across the screen like it was PacMan. I thought I was seeing things. I couldn't put my finger on it (literally). So I tried to do a restart, but the hard button triggers an "are you sure?" and I couldn't get it the touchscreen to register. Eventually I got the restart and it was still acting up so I did another and this time it was normal.

In the afternoon, I flew again at even higher altitude and hotter temp, probably around . I went out of range and RTH initiated. As she was coming in to land, I flipped the S1 to retake control at about 40 feet. My P2V+ plummeted about 10-15 feet before my full throttle input registered and she caught herself.

My morning experience with the tablet got me to wondering about the Phantom's circuitry, too.

Be careful out there.

Yea clipper707. I seen your post about flying over there!!!.... who's jealous? Yea this guy!!!.lol.

Questions though.... was there any humidity behind the heat? You say you were in a frosty bungalow so I wonder if the two elements of climate had built up going from chilly to heat had condensation inside and maybe got the circuitry all wake out of shape. Just a curious thought... something maybe to look into

Definitely humidity is a factor. I was thinking of getting windshield wipers for my tablet.

Left Laos last night and landed in Hanoi. Spent the day flying over Bai Dinh, a huge temple in Ninh Binh province.

Heat and humidity here, too. But at least it's not high altitude flying.

And if you want to hear a bonehead maneuver on my part: my first Lao flight was over the Mekong River. I didn't calibrate my compass until two flights later. Doh!

And then did it again today. Did 5 flights here in Vietnam and still haven't calibrated. I put a sticker on my controller to remind me to calibrate before my next launch.

Lol... yea definitely got to do the phantom dance... it's almost like tradition!!!.. I would hate to see you loose your phantom out there. I'm sure your getting the most amazing videos with all the temples and unseen places. Absolutely amazing!!

I calibrated and then flew over rice paddies at sunset last night. I love temples and bridges but these simple rice paddies were simply beautiful. I'm going to weave them into the videos. I love it out here but it's hotter than a 19 year old girlfriend.

Here's a still of the village and rice paddies around Tam Coc, Ninh Binh Province, Vietnam.
Tam Coc.jpg

Last edited:
If Thor is the god of Thunder, who is the god of Condensation? I hate him.

Just got in from some sunrise flights. The tablet was all over the place, as it was the other morning in Laos. I think I need to rig a harness of some sort and hang it out the hotel window all night. I should be really angry (at myself, the tablet, the condensation gods, all of the above?)

I flew 4 flights thinking the camera was on, but due to delayed reaction and having to repeat button presses that were less than crisp, only the last flight had the camera actually on.

Why I'm not angry: that last flight was nearly perfect. I'm not one to post 8 minute videos, but the scenery and local Vietnamese rural activity just keep on delivering right up to the last frame.

If the god of rural Vietnamese internet bandwidth is with me, I'll post it up shortly.

I would say if you had a locker and silicon gel packets.... lots of them it would definitely dehumidifie everything but I wouldn't know what would happen once you took it out. At least your up and flying taking some amazing video. That's one purpose on why I bought the phantom to catch amazing photos and video of places I go. I just need to get the camera/video down and I'll be set. (Filters, frame per sec, settings, etc)... I know how to fly the hell out of it as I flew competition helicopters for a few years... now if I can just sell them I'll be set to get a P3P and trade in my advanced

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic