99 hours and 41 minutes in the air, then ........................... 100% pilot error, then ....................................... miracle save!

Reaction score
I was flying over Seneca Lake, Watkins Glen, NY, videoing debris washed into the lake by a recent heavy rain. The lake was like a piece of glass! Beautiful cloud reflections and some low lying fog. Wanted to get low to go under some fog and fly to shore to see my friend's dock. Looked at the altimeter, 28 feet. Looked back at the screen and WATER!! It push the UP toggle so hard I thought I snapped it off! Looked out in the water and screamed ( ( Mod Removed Language )Looked back at the screen, black! Nothing! Set the controller on the hood of the truck and just shut my eyes thinking, "you idiot! It's gone!" For at least a minute I stood there. Shaking my head, I started to put the controller in the truck. Opened the door and then thought, "push the return home button". I set the controller on the seat and went to the front of the truck and leaned on the hood, thinking what am I going to do about getting another drone. About 30 seconds later, I hear the familiar noise of a drone! NO WAY!! It landed and I picked it up, soaking wet! Took it home, blew it out with air and set it in the sun. Took the lens cap off, it was steamed up. Then I took the card out and to my surprise the entire video was recorded! Later that day I fired up the drone. Turned Litchi on and there was the drone! Took off for a test flight and I am back!! I still don't believe it, but I have the video

!YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Video wont play for me but sounded like quite a flight!

I can only imagine. I had a similar occurrence - but mine involved lost transmission and I heard it...but couldn't find it in an urban, businesses-y district. RTH and out of no where Mavic 2 Pro arrives. I watched the video to see what had happened. Fortunately, I lost only the transmission and the video was on the card. Crazy!

I couldn't view the youtube video either. The link takes me to an upload screen where I upload videos onto my channel. :)

LOVE to hear a Happy Ending to your story!

Reset your utube video link to everyone ? then post the link here.
Look forward to seeing it. ???

I was flying over Seneca Lake, Watkins Glen, NY, videoing debris washed into the lake by a recent heavy rain. The lake was like a piece of glass! Beautiful cloud reflections and some low lying fog. Wanted to get low to go under some fog and fly to shore to see my friend's dock. Looked at the altimeter, 28 feet. Looked back at the screen and WATER!! It push the UP toggle so hard I thought I snapped it off! Looked out in the water and screamed ( ( Mod Removed Language )Looked back at the screen, black! Nothing! Set the controller on the hood of the truck and just shut my eyes thinking, "you idiot! It's gone!" For at least a minute I stood there. Shaking my head, I started to put the controller in the truck. Opened the door and then thought, "push the return home button". I set the controller on the seat and went to the front of the truck and leaned on the hood, thinking what am I going to do about getting another drone. About 30 seconds later, I hear the familiar noise of a drone! NO WAY!! It landed and I picked it up, soaking wet! Took it home, blew it out with air and set it in the sun. Took the lens cap off, it was steamed up. Then I took the card out and to my surprise the entire video was recorded! Later that day I fired up the drone. Turned Litchi on and there was the drone! Took off for a test flight and I am back!! I still don't believe it, but I have the video

!YouTube
Did you add the, "(Mod Removed Language)"? If so, LMAO

? WOW. Amazing video after the underwater shot. Yes indeed, a Miracle! Grab a lotto ticket.

Good day for a Phantomrain wetsuit. Everything was wet.

Wow talk about lucky!!!

I had an instance where the controller and tablet locked up and I lost all monitoring of the drone and it appears no control. After what seemed to be an eternity I heard the drone and it came in for a landing. I am sure glad I set up the return to home parameters! I since then replaced the tablet with a DJI Crystalsky unit! Best investment and it is easier to see in bright sunlight!

Reactions: The Famous
I did not! Had to stand in the corner for 15 minutes!! :)
I think I saw it kiss the ground on Landing, or was that you? Water must have been cold, it jumped when it got its feet wet. That was great! Thanks

Did the sensors kick in at the last second, or did you make a lucky stick move?

Probably you have a Phantom 4 Pro, you didn't mentioned because you're in this forum.
Your case is almost perfect example why flying over the water can become an issue.
You said you were at 28 ft, that is about 9 m. The altitude was very likely measured by the US sensor.
You also said that the surface of the lake was like a glass. In such conditions the US sensor readings can be false. Maybe it measured some structures under the water or maybe the reflections of the clouds. This can be resolved by the log file.
I think you had saved the drone by instantly push it up before motors became submersed. By switching the remote off you triggered RTH.
What we learned here? Fly over the water a bit higher than you would fly over a flat land and be especially careful with calm 'like a glass' water. That's why it is safer to fly with VLOS. And in such situations a Wetsuit can save the situation.
I believe that you were very happy when the flight came to the end.

Lucky and loved it,,yeh very glassy which gave me a depth deception of actual height the drone was at,,yip as above it still looked like it was still coming down,,

Reactions: Gagey52

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic