60fps or 24fps?

Reaction score
I find that shooting in 1080p 60fps on my P3A provides better, smoother results than shooting 1080p at 24fps. This seems contrary to what I have heard where it is mentioned that 24fps provides a more 'cinematic' look. I didn't think this to be the case. In my tests at a 7:30pm, near dusk tests, the 1080p 60 video appears smoother than the 1080p 24 video right off the camera. It seems only logical to me that shooting at 60fps off the camera only gives you more options in post where you could downgrade to 24fps if necessary. However, the videos I have made so far at 60fps are much smoother looking to my eye than the 24fps footage. I have not yet had the opportunity to use any ND filters yet.

Thoughts?

On a side note, how does one look at the inspect the raw footage to determine the shutter speed it was shot at?

So the bottom line is, record at the highest frame rate possible and reduce the fps in post if so desired?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I use 48fps at night and 60 fps in day light. No matter how powerful your camera is, in low light conditions, it will always catch worse photos and videos if you prefer higher fps.

I've been using 1080p/24 at night and get outstanding shots.

I also do a fair amount of screen captures from the video and have had some wonderful stills out of it.

Reactions: Akrosfer
Shutter speed has a big part to play in this The idea is to shoot at twice the frame rate (24 frames per second) so 1/50 sec works very well. You need an ND filter most of the time to achieve this. The result is just enough blur of each image to provide a smooth look. If you shoot at higher shutter speeds and faster frame rates, you'll get a jittery result, just like the "Saving Private Ryan" movie. Sometimes this is a good move. As long as you understand the process, you have the tools to get the look you want.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic