5v main esc board help..

E-mail sent but posted here as well to add info to this thread.

Did you do something like this to replace the 5v regulator?

No I bought one online...it's not here yet..it's will be tapping into the main power when I do install..I'm not sure if somthing shorted...yours did the same thing as mine...so that tells me it's a test point...or sure is funny that we shorted out the same thing??you don't have shorts doing the same damage!!! But when it's some sort of test point.. or software reset point then I can see that could be the problem..did you do a imu calibration?

I can't do anything. I have no communication with the remote anymore. I found a photo on another website that shows 3 of the wires from the black main board plug going to the VPS/OFDM board have 5v on them but they read exactly what the 5v test point reads, which is about .3 v or so. That is basically float voltage that means nothing. I seem to have lost the 5v on my main board. I can find the full ~17v, 12v, 3v, but no 5v anywhere. I was going to see if the USB 5v would back power things as a test but DJI only uses 3 wires instead of 4 in the USB plug so they don't bring the 5v USB line is as far as I can see. I am considering just adding a 5v regulator but afraid of what else I could hurt. I would REALLY like to find the original 5v regulator to replace it or at least disconnect it to avoid back powering a bad chip.

Plug in your gps..then do a imu calibration. .then get back to me

I can't command anything. I have no communication from bird to remote anymore. The OFDM is dead (light off) and pressing the linking button has no effect. There is a 5v test point on the board as well as 12v and 3v. the 5v is dead but the 12v and 3v are good. I lost my 5 power. I found a few chips that are voltage converters of sorts but not sure which one is bad if that is it. It could also be a capacitor of diode somewhere. I am going to try an external 5v 3amp regulator off of the 17v battery.

I would be careful adding any voltage to your board if I were you I would do some research into why testing that 5 volt point would cause a reset I just don't think the circuits burned up or you have a short I think it's a reset procedure on that board that they use at the factory

I can't command anything. I have no communication from bird to remote anymore. The OFDM is dead (light off) and pressing the linking button has no effect. There is a 5v test point on the board as well as 12v and 3v. the 5v is dead but the 12v and 3v are good. I lost my 5 power. I found a few chips that are voltage converters of sorts but not sure which one is bad if that is it. It could also be a capacitor of diode somewhere. I am going to try an external 5v 3amp regulator off of the 17v battery.

Is your bird beeping?

I would be careful adding any voltage to your board if I were you. I would do some research into why testing that 5 volt point would cause a reset. I just don't think the circuits burned up, or you have a short. I think it's a reset procedure on that board that they use at the factory.

Yes, it is beeping. It just keeps doing the two beeps and eventually ahs the yellow lights blinking. The black cable that goes to the OFDM is supposed to have 5v at pins 3,4 and 10 but it has almost 0 volts. It is standard for almost all electronic boards to have "test points" where you can check for certain voltages, pulses, etc. There are test points for 5v, 3v and 12v. Only the 5v test point is dead. The others have proper voltage. The 5v is definitely a test point where you check for 5v. I used to be an electronic field tech and that is the first thing you check, reference voltages at test points. I am admittedly not comfortable inputting 5v without finding and verifying the part that is supposed to normally supply the 5v is bad. But honestly, if it needs 5v and does not have it; either I am going to add the 5v or end up replacing the main board that supplies the 5v anyway.

P.S. I appreciate the help and I tried to respond earlier, but the Phantom Pilots app and website will not open on my phone no matter what browser I use, etc. The website and app are unreachable from my phone.

Yes, it is beeping. It just keeps doing the two beeps and eventually ahs the yellow lights blinking. The black cable that goes to the OFDM is supposed to have 5v at pins 3,4 and 10 but it has almost 0 volts. It is standard for almost all electronic boards to have "test points" where you can check for certain voltages, pulses, etc. There are test points for 5v, 3v and 12v. Only the 5v test point is dead. The others have proper voltage. The 5v is definitely a test point where you check for 5v. I used to be an electronic field tech and that is the first thing you check, reference voltages at test points. I am admittedly not comfortable inputting 5v without finding and verifying the part that is supposed to normally supply the 5v is bad. But honestly, if it needs 5v and does not have it; either I am going to add the 5v or end up replacing the main board that supplies the 5v anyway.

I need a decent amperage. I ordered a converter that can take the full battery voltage and convert it to 5v at up to 3 amps. I tried using a 500ma and 1 amp converter from a cell phone charger and they simply dropped to under 1 volt under the load. The 500ma one was dropped to about .5volts.

Here is a photo from an RC website. Someone mapped out the wires in an effort to add a different camera. You can see some wires going to the VPS/OFDM need to have 5v on them and mine have zero. Pins 3,4 and 10 are all tied together. I have also verified that all the grey wires at the front are duplicate grounds and 12v wires feeding power to the gimbal. Those are fine. I guess they wanted to use thinner wires and maybe this was a way to make it look more complicated to reverse engineer? The real problem for me is the black wire harness on the right has NO POWER at pins 3,4,10 where it should have 5 volts. That is what powers my OFDM, which is dead of course.

View media item 2031

Last edited:
I had the same troubles.. and I think I started this thread actually .i Was hoping to forget the nightmare...well after posting I added 5v myself! .and after many late nights going nuts I did get it to fire up and lift off !!just once about 20ft and fell back to earth with a pretty exciting lipo spark/smoke show ...so that was that... I went and bought (scored!) a new bird p3p w/4kcam & 1bat.but no RC for 400$ fresh out of new box... Goodluck..here's that board if it helps.
9fa38945aca81eaf5c19aaeac393d4c9.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

So was your 5v dead and you added 5V source yourself? How did you add the 5v? I am wondering why it would burn up like that.

All I remember is that 5v fed down to tx ofdm i think butt also did something with IMU and IMU tempature and gyros I forget exackly the order..all I remeber I
finally got it to unlock the props by pulling the sensor in the black box and freezing it for a while and doing IMU within seconds ones of coming out of freezer.. and that let IMU to pass and the props to finally spin.. there isn't enough info out there on it that I could find.. it drove me nuts .. do yourself a favor and remove the gimbal and camera while your working on it..that way you'll have a spare ..if I remeber anything I'll let ya no...

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

That is my plan to feed 5v to the black wires that go to the OFDM. I have no power there now where it is supposed to be.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4