550 Pilot's lounge

The GPS is not on a post away from the base of the f550...????

In my opinion, you can buy this used Hex and reconfigure and make it your own... not a hard thing to do...

OR, you can buy a f550 kit and build it to your specifications... If you are not a good solderer, you can always learn through a YouTube Video... not hard at all... There are plenty of great f550 experts on here who will help you through your build... Their expert opinions have helped me...

I'm also not crazy about his choice to position the FPV TX on a RETRACTABLE landing gear....It would not be my first (or second) choice...

havasuphoto said:
You're close-and you even noticed some things I didn't.
Here's the issues I saw-the VTX on the leg is wrapped in heat-shrink, that's whats holding it to the leg.

Oh... yes, I would agree if that is what it is. I thought I could see coax coming down the leg and thought it was just the antenna attached to the leg. The picture isn't quite as clear (to me) as it could be.

PJA said:
The GPS is not on a post away from the base of the f550...????

In my opinion, you can buy this used Hex and reconfigure and make it your own... not a hard thing to do...

OR, you can buy a f550 kit and build it to your specifications... If you are not a good solderer, you can always learn through a YouTube Video... not hard at all... There are plenty of great f550 experts on here who will help you through your build... Their expert opinions have helped me...

I'm also not crazy about his choice to position the FPV TX on a RETRACTABLE landing gear....It would not be my first (or second) choice
Exactly!!! Why on Earth would he mount it there??!!
There's a perfect spot on the back/bottom that it would fit perfectly-have airflow so the VTX wouldn't over-heat, and you could point the antenna straight down-the correct orientation.

I understand about just building one myself. but, I haven't really seen any retractable landing gear kits. and, I'm "banned" from soldering(long story)......so I prefer to have someone with a clue build one for me.

I sometimes say, "Don't by used!' You are inheriting someone else's headaches. That's why I went this route.

http://www.helipal.com/dji-flamewheel-f550-w-naza-v2-gps-drone-rtf.html

When I got it it came with the H3-D2 gimbal already installed and it went for $1,199. I added the iOSD and Storm FPV Deluxe.

....and when it arrived, I opened her up and did a few fixes that I prefered....nothing major just my own thing.

It sounds like the guy you were dealing with wasn't being very forthcoming with his disclosures on his F550.

havasuphoto said:
I understand about just building one myself. but, I haven't really seen any retractable landing gear kits. and, I'm "banned" from soldering(long story)......so I prefer to have someone with a clue build one for me.

Get an RTF from Helipal and add your on tx/rx (assuming you have one already). Get the deluxe FPV combo. Buy a landing gear kit (they are out there) and put it on (no soldering on the ones I've seen). You will put out about the same money as for the used one. Helipal does a good job of putting them together.

I dumped their radio and use a DX7s. The gimbal option isn't available yet....but as mention before they build them pretty good and delivery is quick...from the minute I pressed submit to the day it arrive at my front door...3 days. I used expressed shipment.

havasuphoto said:
According to the seller-he builds these "professionally", and had people "following him around bugging him to buy his builds".....to bad I asked too many question...I think I insulted him when I made some suggestions and pointed out a few things I thought needed changing.....

You were a potential paying customer... You had every right to ask all the questions you needed answered... You are dropping a 'boat load of greens' for an item he is selling to you, his CUSTOMER! Did he offer any warranty on this f550 build? If not, you may have just dodged a bullet, my friend...

Look up 'custom built Flamewheel f550 for sale' on Google... People and companies customize to order all the time... You might just find what you are looking for....

The seller probably was weighing the trouble to convince one person who was asking for a lot of detailed information with just putting it on eBay and selling it with no hassle. I used to sell a lot of stuff and one of my warning signs was a buyer who was too tentative to go for it. I ended up refusing sales to some because it was obvious the after-sales care and feeding would not be worth it.

In a buyer seller relationship, there has to be an agreement in trust. It was apparent that the seller didn't feel there was trust so he bowed out. His right. It was also the right of the buyer to ask the questions - and accept that the seller may become disaffected.

In short, I don't think there was fault with either side. It wasn't to be - so it wasn't.

ladykate said:
The seller probably was weighing the trouble to convince one person who was asking for a lot of detailed information with just putting it on eBay and selling it with no hassle. I used to sell a lot of stuff and one of my warning signs was a buyer who was too tentative to go for it. I ended up refusing sales to some because it was obvious the after-sales care and feeding would not be worth it.

In a buyer seller relationship, there has to be an agreement in trust. It was apparent that the seller didn't feel there was trust so he bowed out. His right. It was also the right of the buyer to ask the questions - and accept that the seller may become disaffected.

In short, I don't think there was fault with either side. It wasn't to be - so it wasn't.
That's funny...bold.
Yea, I understand. Short story-I refused to sell 1 of my boats to a young couple because it was just too much power for them......and I thought it was a bad match. They were convinced it was the boat for them-and I told them no.

That's why when I sell something, I make sure everything is 100% perfect-so there is no after-sale care. I've sold camera gear, boats, motorcycles, cars, you name it. And not once-have I ever had anyone that needed after-sales care.

Maybe I'll just stick to Dealers.

havasuphoto said:
Maybe I'll just stick to Dealers.

I occasionally buy used but I'm a tough customer. I end up bugging the seller if I don't feel I understood what I got into. Too many times I've purchased used stuff that wasn't adequately described. I collect straight razors and that market is mostly used (for the ones that are collectable). I've had several issues with sellers who were too proud of their merchandise. I like to stick to dealers who have some sort of return guarantee. Amazon, eBay, B&H, etc.

With that, I still run into issues. Right now, I have a DVR on order from Amazon that has been on order for three weeks and I still don't have a tracking number. I will probably return it and give the seller a tough rating. He's had at least five emails from me. Enough is enough.

And, yes, for these things, I like to buy new. The new price in this hobby is often not too much more (sometimes less) than the used asking price. I've seen used F450s go for more than new RTF on eBay.

All good points.
The issue with used in this hobby is; that's a lot of money, 100 feet up in the air-and if something goes wrong because of a poor soldier joint or other "issue", you first flight could be your last.
Not worth the risk IMHO.
I've bought 10's of thousands of dollars in used camera equipment and sold about the same-never once had a deal go bad. But, like you-I ask a lot of pointed questions. If that's makes a buyer nervous, or they think I'll need "after-care", then I really don't want to give them my money anyways.

havasuphoto said:
All good points.
The issue with used in this hobby is; that's a lot of money, 100 feet up in the air-and if something goes wrong because of a poor soldier joint or other "issue", you first flight could be your last.
Not worth the risk IMHO.

You would probably be much more comfortable with doing one yourself. That way you know the quality that went into it. You never know if the 12 year old Chinese soldering guy made a boo-boo. ;-} Learn to solder and set one up.

If you're gonna have headaches, they might as well be of your own doing :). I wouldn't buy a used fw, it's cheap enough and such a good learning experience to build one yourself. My first fw wasn't even a stocker; I carved the crap out of the plates to customize the geometry of the arms. If you're methodical there's very little you can't do with the frame!

ElGuano said:
My first fw wasn't even a stocker; I carved the crap out of the plates to customize the geometry of the arms. If you're methodical there's very little you can't do with the frame!

Should we expect anything less from you, Mr. ElG...?

You should create an ARF Kit with a carving knife as original stock equipment... :lol:

(only kidding with you... ;) )

ElGuano said:
If you're gonna have headaches, they might as well be of your own doing :). I wouldn't buy a used fw, it's cheap enough and such a good learning experience to build one yourself. My first fw wasn't even a stocker; I carved the crap out of the plates to customize the geometry of the arms. If you're methodical there's very little you can't do with the frame!
I just don't do well with electronics, and little things. I'm find working on a car or a boat-but these things are so small, I'd have more frustration than enjoyment....trust me, I know myself well-and I know what I like doing-and soldering and building a "kit", isn't even on the bottom of my bucket list.

I do very much appreciate the advise and insight.

PJA said:
You should create an ARF Kit with a carving knife as original stock equipment... :lol:

(only kidding with you... ;) )

One big block of plastic and a rasp. Instructions are one line long. "File from solid".

Since there has been some recent discussions about different batteries and flight times, I did a little experiment earlier today (or now yesterday :) ). I had gotten a couple of these batteries a couple of months or so ago, the 8000mah 3S from Ready Made RC. http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_84_215&products_id=1665 I was waiting a bit until I got them broken in some, and when I had some time for it.
I first ran one of the stock 5500 batteries from Helipal that came with the fully loaded 550. I started up the 550, and first did a moderate climb up to 200m according to the IOSD, doing a slow 360 once at that altitude. I then descended to 100m, and did another 360. Then I dropped down to 5-10m and just flew around and hovered some until the battery warnings kicked in. I have mine set to the values reccomended by Fangs some while back. After the first level, I just let the craft hover nearby until the second level made it land at 10.5V. Not real aggressive flying, but pretty typical for some AP.
I then loaded up the 8000 from Ready Made RC, and repeated the same process. I counted my total flight times as the time when the 550 lifted off until it landed again according to the resulting video footage.
For the 5500mah battery, it was forced to land by the NAZA second level setting after right at 9 minutes of flight. Upon charging the battery, the charger showed it put back in 4600ma of charge, which works out to 84% of capacity. Pretty close to the ideal of 80% of capacity.
For the 8000mah battery, it was forced to land right at 12 minutes of actual flight. After charging, the charger had put back in 6600ma, or roughly 83% of capacity. Again, quite close to the ideal of 80%.
I don't really remember at what times the first level warning kicked in, I was mainly interested in what the absolute most I could get was before the batteries were drained too much beyond the recommended amount.
Anyway, take it for what it's worth. I feel the extra 3 minutes I got from the 8000mah from RMRC is pretty good, considering how much they cost compared to the "stock" Storm batteries from Helipal.

I'm curious; what was the price difference between the 2 batteries, that yielded the extra 3 minutes?
are you using 10" props? Those flight times are great, in my opinion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT