550 Pilot's lounge

I am NOT. The battery link that I sent you is $129.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

PJA said:
Is this the same

Yes and No ....right battery but wrong connector. ! Pay $10 Tower Hobbies Super Saver Club, get $15 off and free shipping. Just a thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

havasuphoto said:
How much flight time do you get with the bigger engine and blades?
Balancing anything CF is a PITA. That's why I won't use CF.
I think the max with regular arms is 10".....???

How much more weight can you carry with your extension/engines/props? are you to the point where you could fly a Z15 Zen with a GH4 and a 200 gram lens?

Heh...no. Not even.

Right now my average AUW is just a pinch under 3kg, and with a 5200mAh 4S batt and those motors/props I can get around 10:00 at that weight. I suspect I still have some headroom to play with in this setup as far as how much I can lift, but I think it'll take 12" blades to get everything I can out of it.

havasuphoto said:
How much more weight can you carry with your extension/engines/props? are you to the point where you could fly a Z15 Zen with a GH4 and a 200 gram lens?

That would a a heckuva load. Need some big guns to haul that for any reasonable time I would think.

ladykate said:
ElGuano said:
I have, but mine is a coax hex, and it's also unladen (and in a case like this, payload matters a LOT). Still, I figured it was better to test it now and see if it actually works. I may load it up with weights to simulate final loadout and try again. But I would find a larger, similarly grassy area to test in :)

Video (was it a good idea to be holding a phone while trying it out for the first time? Probably not :shock: ):

That was impressive. I noticed how it leaned into the dead engine each time - which is what I would have expected. However, it didn't seem severe at all. Did you have to use any correcting yaw to compensate?

It's probably the unladen weight that keeps it from oscillating or spinning wildly. If I recall, I had to apply a bit of forward throttle on takeoff, but zero corrections in flight - there was no unwanted yaw and no drift during hover.

ElGuano said:
It's probably the unladen weight that keeps it from oscillating or spinning wildly. If I recall, I had to apply a bit of forward throttle on takeoff, but zero corrections in flight - there was no unwanted yaw and no drift during hover.

Gotta love technology. I might try my 550 without a prop... maybe... ;-}

ladykate said:

Pick a soft spot and remove any expensive camera equipment, just in case :)

havasuphoto said:
ladykate said:
ElGuano said:

I gotta love that all the sudden you guys wanna be "test pilots" with your expensive rigs....LOL
It's kinda like taking 1 tire off your car-sure, it will drive, and you might be able to steer, but what's the point?

There has to be a point? Wow... almost everything I've done in this hobby was just for the hell of it... Now you are making me doubt my motives... :lol:

OK... maybe the point would be that if I lose a motor in-flight, I know what to expect... yeah... that's the ticket...

Wait, you're saying you have NOT taken a tire off your car and drove around just to be prepared in case it happens on the freeway? :lol:

If that ever happens, I know who I'd want in my car with me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8GeMrIzlhI[/youtube]

Seller went "south" on me-wouldn't answer anymore questions-so I'm moving on-probably not getting an F550

I don't get people anymore; if you build the aircraft, you can count on the fact that I'm going to ask a lot of questions, and want some pictures and some in flight video-is that to much to ask? After all, we're talking, price wise, probably around almost 2grand.

Guess the guy can keep it, as far as I'm concerned. To many UN-answered, won't answer questions for me...not worth the risk.

P2 should be "available" with what I want on it sometime next week.
Will switch to "digest" updates from here on out.

I see nothing that couldn't be tweaked/cinched down/realigned. Nothing that would be a deal breaker at all. That is the nice thing about the Flamewheel - if you don't like how it is put together, redo it. In fact, that is it's main attraction to me. I'm always screwing with mine.

I agree-and it wasn't a deal breaker for me either. In fact-it's a very simple fix-maybe 5 minutes max.
But-I want to see if someone else see's the issues.
I was looking forward to tinkering with it....but, oh well. It's not like they're super hard to find used.

OH-about that Hyperion battery charger and whether or not you need to buy the DC power supply, here is the answer from the experts;
Thank you for choosing MaxAmps for your RC needs. I understand you were looking at the 720i ac/dc charger and wanted to know the difference in operation with a power supply compared to the unit plug directly into a wall. I know with all of the information available, it can be difficult to know what the charger is capable of doing between these two modes, but let me tell you a little about how it will operate between the two.

With this charger, the functions will be the same between the ac portion and the dc portion. The only operation that will change is what the charger will be able to produce charging wise. With the battery packs you have provided, I will give you information that will allow you to see the difference between the two available operations for the unit:

2800mah 3s battery pack: Max charge rate from ac outlet – 8 amps (25 – 30 minute charge time) / with DC – 13.5 amp charge rate (15 minute charge time)

4000mah 4s battery pack: Max charge rate from ac outlet – 6 amps (45 – 50 minute charge time) / with DC – 10 amp charge rate (25 - 30 minute charge time)

I hope that this information has helped you. If there is anything else I can assist you with, do not hesitate to ask. I will be happy to assist you further however I can.
So basically-it cuts your charging time in half.

I actually saw four things I would change.

The GPS puck (that can be debated but I would move it), the bare wire on the soldering pad (unless I'm misinterpreting the image) going to the ESC, stress relief of the power cable, securing the loose control wires to the gear. All of which would take but a few moments.

IseeU said:
I would have the vtx antenna pointed inward for when the gear goes up the antenna is pointing downward.

I thought about that, too. You might be right that it needs turning a bit. However, I kinda gave it the benefit of the doubt since the ideal angle (according to the DJI AV58 spec) is 45 degrees and it might be at that when it lifts.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irish_phantom