550 Pilot's lounge

FangsCPO said:
havasuphoto said:
Just beware....these things are Money Sponge's!!!

You got that right. I'm managing my Air R/C and Gound R/C. My wife keeps giving me the evil eye but I just tell her. "I earned it.". She just shakes her head. :lol:

All this R/C stuff is a Money Pit to the 2nd power for me. If I'm not flying, I'm driving. Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
It's still cheaper than the Boat I had.......and sold. That thing would eat up $1000 dollar bills for breakfast, and still be hungry.

havasuphoto said:
It's still cheaper than the Boat I had.......and sold. That thing would eat up $1000 dollar bills for breakfast, and still be hungry.

The two _______ _____ of a boat owner's life: the ____ he ____ __, and the _____ he ____ __.

ElGuano said:
havasuphoto said:

The two _______ _____ of a boat owner's life: the ____ he ____ __, and the _____ he ____ __.
Sorry-got nothing for the blanks.
On the plus side-my 3-car, boat-deep garage is now big enough to fly in ;)

havasuphoto said:
ElGuano said:
havasuphoto said:

Sorry-got nothing for the blanks.
On the plus side-my 3-car, boat-deep garage is now big enough to fly in ;)

The two happiest days of a boat owner's life: the day he buys it, and the day he sells it. ;)

BallisticPhantom said:
OL, Something that can be done on that?

I looked in to cleaning up all those links, and it looks like when you grabbed some of them you copied the abbreviated version of the URL and not the full string, so I can't linkify them with what's contained in your post. I'll be happy to turn that list into a living sticky in this section that we can reference/update, but someone will need to grab the full version of those links.

OI Photography said:
BallisticPhantom said:
OL, Something that can be done on that?

I looked in to cleaning up all those links, and it looks like when you grabbed some of them you copied the abbreviated version of the URL and not the full string, so I can't linkify them with what's contained in your post. I'll be happy to turn that list into a living sticky in this section that we can reference/update, but someone will need to grab the full version of those links.

Great idea!! I say whoever provided the links to go back and copy and past the correct links. So this can be done. I've check mine, which were only a few and they work fine for me.

That reminds me, here's a great link to battery straps. I used these and they are rock solid. I use them on my F550 and on my 1/8 RC on-road and off-road rigs. Great for 3S - 6S Lipos.

http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr40008k-battery-straps-sct410-black-2-cell-3pcs/

Are the 8.5" straps long enough to go around a 4S 8000 or 5000? I measured my 3S 8000 mah and it's 7" around-doesn't leave me much room to run the strap through the battery holder?
Wondering if anyone has tried these;
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2753/XAircraft-X650-X650PRO-parts/Detail
They're 40CMx 2.5CM, or 15.75" X 0.98"

Gonna be changing engines and going with 4S. Mounting the battery underneath presents some challenges, namely the strap(I only have 1 now)....would like 2 straps-but that have to be long enough.

havasuphoto said:
Are the 8.5" straps long enough to go around a 4S 8000 or 5000? I measured my 3S 8000 mah and it's 7" around-doesn't leave me much room to run the strap through the battery holder?
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet/the-2753/XAircraft-X650-X650PRO-parts/Detail

Gonna be changing engines and going with 4S. Mounting the battery underneath presents some challenges, namely the strap(I only have 1 now)....would like 2 straps-but that have to be long enough.

I think that's the same strap I use with a different label (I just had to update the link in the earlier post): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

I use two, and they fit around each of my 4S batts (5000mAh and 8000mAh) with plenty of room to spare.

OI Photography said:
havasuphoto said:

I think that's the same strap I use with a different label (I just had to update the link in the earlier post): http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

I use two, and they fit around each of my 4S batts (5000mAh and 8000mAh) with plenty of room to spare.
Yep-those are them, and a whole lot cheaper...thanks.
I also use velcro on the battery holder and the battery..just because it's underneath. don't want that big thing coming off...might ruin my day.

Just picked up 6 of these for a good price(they were flow twice); http://www.getfpv.com/tiger-motor-mt-2814-10-770kv.html
I'll be running my 11X5 E-Graup props, and these batteries 4S 8000mah(if they're any good);http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_84_216&products_id=1664
Those batteries are about $40 more than Zippy's....but I'm hoping they'll be better quality.

Now-as some of you may know, T-motors have 3 black wires that end in bullet connectors with no markings on the motor to tell you which is positive, negative, etc. So-what the trick go guessing correctly when plugging these in, that 3 turn CW and 3 turn CCW?

I'm also thinking of getting the self-tightening prop adapters(3); http://www.getfpv.com/propellers/prop-adapters/tiger-motor-m6-ccw-prop-adapter-nut.html

So-anyone think I'll get more than 10 minutes flight time, at AUW of probably right around 3000 grams...maybe a bit less?
Is anyone running this motor? They sure look pretty...... :lol:
OH-and I sure hope they don't run hot. By the time I'll be ready to fly-the temps here will probably be near 120 deg F.

I got to 11 min 30 sec on my first rough flight test of the RMRC 8000mAh batt. AUW was 3300g and change, on my 3508 700kv and the 11x5 blades just like yours. I wouldn't be surprised if you could milk a pinch more than that out of it, and it looks like that batt will let me push it a little farther before landing than I did on that first flight.

OI Photography said:
I got to 11 min 30 sec on my first rough flight test of the RMRC 8000mAh batt. AUW was 3300g and change, on my 3508 700kv and the 11x5 blades just like yours. I wouldn't be surprised if you could milk a pinch more than that out of it, and it looks like that batt will let me push it a little farther before landing than I did on that first flight.
Can you tell me what your 1st level, 2nd level, and load setting are in Naza? Never used 4S, so I'm looking for a baseline.
I'll narrow it down once I do a few flights and see how much mah I put back in the battery-and how fast the voltage drops.

I think the 3508's are probably more efficient? I was looking at those or these-and going back and fourth...all the number made my head hurt!!! finally found these for a good price, with the 28 stator, -10 is good enough, and 770kv will work....
There are only 3 of your motors in stock-in the entire U.S. at 1 dealer.

I have a friend building the same thing I have...so we're still looking for more motors for that one. but, he wants to run larger props...so probably going with the 35mm stator and the lower kv.
but-I'll be super happy with anything over 10 minutes....gonna buy 2 of those batteries. that outta hold me for awhile. they only have like 301 in stock...so I don't want to miss out!! sheesh-seems like everything I've been looking for was on a slow boat from China..out of stock on everything.

Yea-I really like how the 11X5 E-Graups fly..they handle great when you need to sport around, and are super smooth in flight. I've looked at the APC slow-fly props, but honestly, they're 10 cent pieces of plastic-don't know that I'd trust them....might be to bendy.

havasuphoto said:

My 4S 5300 mAh 65C Thunder Power lipo is 7 inches around also and there's more than enough strap. If two straps can withstand the beating an 8th scale off-road rig is exposed to during a race, I'm sure smooth flying should be no problem for these straps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OK-but my problem is, I plan on running a section of the battery strap through the slots, then over the 2-rods that the battery holder is snapped onto(remember I'm running the battery underneath). So-I need a little extra length to do that-and I don't think 8.5" will be long enough.

Can't run the battery on the top-because the GPS antenna is pretty much dead center on the top plate-and I'm to stupid to figure out how to move it. Plus, I don't want to be top heavy......

havasuphoto said:
Now-as some of you may know, T-motors have 3 black wires that end in bullet connectors with no markings on the motor to tell you which is positive, negative, etc. So-what the trick go guessing correctly when plugging these in, that 3 turn CW and 3 turn CCW?

No trick. Just plug them in. If the motor turns the wrong way, swap any two of them and it will turn the other.

For the Velcro, our local lumber yards sell Velcro belts that are 2" wide. You have two possible sources in Havasu that I have used before. The belts look like big versions of the battery belts you get with the kits and probably have for yours. They have buckles. These are true Velcro so just go find the rack where it is sold and you should find them. I also bought a reel of the 2" Velcro that I use all the time (have gone through one reel in the last couple of years and am on the second). It is sticky on one side so if you want to make a strap, you have to stick two sides together. Don't misalign the straps else you will never get them apart.

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

No trick. Just plug them in. If the motor turns the wrong way, swap any two of them and it will turn the other.

For the Velcro, our local lumber yards sell Velcro belts that are 2" wide. You have two possible sources in Havasu that I have used before. The belts look like big versions of the battery belts you get with the kits and probably have for yours. They have buckles. These are true Velcro so just go find the rack where it is sold and you should find them. I also bought a reel of the 2" Velcro that I use all the time (have gone through one reel in the last couple of years and am on the second). It is sticky on one side so if you want to make a strap, you have to stick two sides together. Don't misalign the straps else you will never get them apart.
Just placed a big order with Readymade RC..they had the velcro straps that were pretty cheap-so I'll give them a try.
also ordered a couple of the 4S 8000 mah orange batteries.

As for the "trick" on figuring out the motor wiring-I was told that you could confirm it somehow in Naza...anyone know how to do that?
Do I just plug all 6 motors in-have them lying on the floor, and listen for the beeps as to which one's are backwards? I don't want to have to bolt them in, then un-bolt to pull the wires out and un plug and replug the bullet connectors. So-I'm thinking there has to be an easier way.
Or-look at the engines I'm pulling out-and see from left to right, which of the 3 wires is plugged into which plug, and assume that the 3 black wires from the T-motors would be the same?

Also-anyone have any experience with the 12X3.8 Gemfan Carbon Filled props?? They were cheap-so I ordered 6. I can't really go with anymore pitch at 12" because I think I'll be near or over max wattage of 500W. And-the choices are; cheap Gemfans or APC, or super-expensive Tiger Props, which are 12X4 or 12X6-both of which I think it too much pitch, and the engines might get to warm.

Also got the 3 CCW prop holders for the engines-so everything will be self-tighening.
Now-I just need to find some prop adapters; 6mm to 8mm(11X5 E-graups are 8mm). Anyone have a source for those?

Wow....my F800 just "sponged" up a bunch of cash!!! :lol:

The way you verify in NAZA is to do the motor test in the NAZA. It bumps the motors and you can tell which direction they are wanting to go. That is also the recommended way with these. On my RC, I just crank them up and see which way the wind blows. ;-}.

You need to keep the connectors available enough that you don't have to remove the motors. Usually, they run outside for just a bit before they go into whatever channel you are putting them in. Don't fight this - just do it so your life will be easier. You should never have to remove the motors to get to the connectors.

ladykate said:
The way you verify in NAZA is to do the motor test in the NAZA. It bumps the motors and you can tell which direction they are wanting to go. That is also the recommended way with these. On my RC, I just crank them up and see which way the wind blows. ;-}.

You need to keep the connectors available enough that you don't have to remove the motors. Usually, they run outside for just a bit before they go into whatever channel you are putting them in. Don't fight this - just do it so your life will be easier. You should never have to remove the motors to get to the connectors.
OK...I think the wires with bullets come out about an inch or so. So how do you initiate a "motor test" in Naza? Is that when you first plug in a battery and it goes 1,2,3,4,5, and starts bumping engines?
Or is this with the aircraft connected to your computer, via the usb port, and using the Naza software?
Thanks

Oh, and I always sweat the "small stuff"....I tend to "micro-manage", which in my career has saved my life countless times. don't want a $500++ blow-over, because I'm a dumba$$ ;)

Read the NAZA instructions. The motor test is available from the Basic tab. Don't try to ask all the questions before you look at it - that way you can see how easy it is and the questions you have will be more directed.

You can also try it out on your assembled bird before you do the mod. Just to see what it does.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geo_sdnz