55 lbs or less limit?

Reaction score
So...interestingly, I was clicking around what shall be an unnamed website offering their prep/training for the part 107 test. This site/company is marketing itself as the best route to passing the 107 test through their pre-test program for a cost of more than $200 (will leave exact amount off this post so as to keep them from being obvious who it is) It has some practice quizzes and for the fun of it I was going through one of them to see what their content was like since they let you check out some content for free before paying for the full course. One of the quiz questions was essentially What upper weight limit does part 107 regulate for uav's. Two of the multiple choice options given (of the 3) were A) 55 lbs. or less, B) less than 55 lbs.
Subtle difference as one option includes drones that weigh 55 lbs and the other includes drones that weight UP TO 55 lbs but not including 55 lbs. Thus....54.99999 lbs would fall under part 107 but 55.000 lbs would NOT.

Based on reading the FAA published regs, part 107 applies to drones LESS than 55 lbs. such as this summary publication: https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
Everything the FAA has published that I have seen clearly states part 107 is for UAV that are less than 55 lbs. To my shock, the quiz told me I was wrong in that selection and that part 107 includes drones 55 lbs and below (so 55.9999999 lbs would be included). How could a company marketing itself as being the best way to make sure you pass your 107 test get such a simple test question wrong?

First off your asking us to evaluate something third-hand, as you believe you recall it, and not the actual material itself.

Secondly there will be lots of folks ready to take your money and capitalize on the impatience and rush of many to get this certification. Some will spend more than necessary in the process as well.

Caveat Emptor

Reactions: BigAl07
(so 55.9999999 lbs would be included).

That is actually >55lbs yet <56lbs so it would not be allowed under Part 107. I guess it depends on the scales you use (or more likely the combined weights of each item stated by their manufacturers) and how precise the readout is.

I've taken four different test preps "courses". All are good in some respect. Are there mistakes? Yes. I've provided several suggested corrections where I've found mistakes. These are still better than just reading the 107 rule because the test will cover much more than that.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav