4Pro only records 4GB films

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 Pro. It has a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme microsd card. The buffer is set to 16GB. My issue is it only records 4GB films at a time then starts another video. I am recording in 4K/30FPS. I am not taking pictures and the card is clean and formatted. It does this with any of the MicroSD cards I try. Any suggestions to fix this and run one continuous recording? Thank you in advance.

You need to format the SD card. It is probably in FAT32. It needs to be in ExFAT to record more than 4GB at a time. Had same issue myself.

You need to format the SD card. It is probably in FAT32. It needs to be in ExFAT to record more than 4GB at a time. Had same issue myself.

I formated in the Drone. Guess I will use the iMac and format in exFat. Thank you for the help.

ExFAT standard can support files greater than 4GB but DJI seems to impose the lowest common denominator and limits video file size to 4gb even if it is ExFAT. Nothing you can do about it other than stitch the videos together in an editor.
On P3A 1080p 60fps, I typically get 9 minutes per 4gb file though that varies. FAT only supports 32GB partition so a larger card will always be ExFAT.

Can you tell us how you did this? I've never heard of anyone getting by this 4GB limitation.

Can you tell us how you did this? I've never heard of anyone getting by this 4GB limitation.

Singer, it has been awhile. I think I formatted it directly on my computer and put it back in with that format. You can't do it on the bird.

You can't use FAT32 on storage bigger than 32gb anyway so you'll always be ExFAT with 64GB cards no matter where you format it. The 4gb limitation is imposed by the firmware, not the storage standard specs.

You can't use FAT32 on storage bigger than 32gb anyway so you'll always be ExFAT with 64GB cards no matter where you format it.
The 32 GB limit on FAT32 is just an artificial limit imposed by Windows (MS would rather you use NTFS for large volumes.) Using various formatting utilities (instead of Windows native) FAT32 allows up to multiple TB volume sizes.

To OP you do know that you are not losing any frames between your 4gb clips right? You can just join them seamlessly in your editor.

I suppose if you use a non-standard size FAT table and large clusters you could get beyond 32GB but you could get compatibility problems. FAT32 standard was set back around 1995, first introduced with OSR2 version of Windows 95 which in reality was MS DOS 7.1.

I used to see some frames dropped on occasion at the beginning of a new file when I had a flakey SD card. I have yet to see it happen with a known good card though.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.