4K video - and then what?

Yes I am aware but if the hardware the OP has can't even edit 4k there is no point in shooting in 4k until they upgrade their workstation. Shoot in 1080 until they upgrade seems like the most logical solution.
If you convert to proxy files before editing then even a medium-powered PC should do fine.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
If you convert to proxy files before editing then even a medium-powered PC should do fine.
Hey smiller, what exactly does it mean or what are you actually doing when you convert to proxy files? Kinda new to Premier Pro in last 3 months or so. Is it changing where your files are coming from that you are editing basically?

Hey smiller, what exactly does it mean or what are you actually doing when you convert to proxy files? Kinda new to Premier Pro in last 3 months or so. Is it changing where your files are coming from that you are editing basically?
Proxy files are lower-bitrate copies of the camera footage used during the editing process. Because the proxy files (ProRes 422 Proxy is a common example) are in a format that PP can more easily decode you can get by with a less powerful PC. Then when you render the final output PP uses the original camera files (applying all your edits) so you won't see any quality loss in the final output. Done properly PP makes the process almost transparent. Even though I have a fairly powerful PC I still use proxy files to edit, it's just so much smoother than editing cranky H.265 directly.

A good free program to convert your camera footage to ProRes is RockyMountains Movie Converter . Using proxy files in PP is more than I can fit in a reply but there are many good tutorials on YouTube and the Adobe site.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Proxy files are lower-bitrate copies of the camera footage used during the editing process. Because the proxy files (ProRes 422 Proxy is a common example) are in a format that PP can more easily decode you can get by with a less powerful PC. Then when you render the final output PP uses the original camera files (applying all your edits) so you won't see any quality loss in the final output. Done properly PP makes the process almost transparent. Even though I have a fairly powerful PC I still use proxy files to edit, it's just so much smoother than editing cranky H.265 directly.

A good free program to convert your camera footage to ProRes is RockyMountains Movie Converter . Using proxy files in PP is more than I can fit in a reply but there are many good tutorials on YouTube and the Adobe site.
Thanks so much for the good info man!

Dang this actually pretty cool for a quick on the fly edit. I'll have to check it out more. Did he say if it was free or not?
$19.99 - so yes, kinda free. As I see it, it'll cover 95 % of all my needs editing aerial video. Heck, I can edit four shots together on my way from one customer to the next! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94