4K @ 24fps Phantom 4 PRO

Reaction score
This is the first time i tryed the phantom 4 pro, this is a little preview of shooting in 4K @ 24fps

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Youtube however shows as max resolution on this thing 1080p, however the output resolution that I had selected after editing on iMovie was 4K, has any of you had this problem? However at the end I'm pretty happy with the end result.

The images taken with the Phantom 4 pro are pretty sweet as well. for those check my IG ( follow me =D )

Drone Disaster (@dronedisaster) • Instagram photos and videos

21147860_272819289887742_198517417100443648_n.jpg

Reactions: Alicatt
For youtube 4K you want 3840x2160.
I think you can also use the higher 4k, but this res works for me.
how long ago did you upload? YT makes several encoding passes, with the higher resolutions coming last. 4K can take an hour to appear.

For youtube 4K you want 3840x2160.
I think you can also use the higher 4k, but this res works for me.
how long ago did you upload? YT makes several encoding passes, with the higher resolutions coming last. 4K can take an hour to appear.

I didn't know it took a little longer for higher resolutions on YT, it was uploaded like 30 minutes ago. I'll make sure to check the resolution out tomorrow.

Two things ... first, if you upload a UHD video to YouTube the video will not be available in UHD resolution right away and can take as much as a couple days for it to become available at the uploaded resolution. Generally for me, it takes on average about 4 hours for an uploaded UHD video to be available in UHD resolution. Second, I would use a higher frame rate than 24 or 25 fps -- I use 30fps and that gives a noticeably smoother video for drone use.

Brian

Two things ... first, if you upload a UHD video to YouTube the video will not be available in UHD resolution right away and can take as much as a couple days for it to become available at the uploaded resolution. Generally for me, it takes on average about 4 hours for an uploaded UHD video to be available in UHD resolution. Second, I would use a higher frame rate than 24 or 25 fps -- I use 30fps and that gives a noticeably smoother video for drone use.

Brian

Brain,

I'm not really used of filming in 4K or editing it, I mostly do photo's with the drone, videos are just as a hobby. However after doing some research on internet, 4K at 24fps was supposed to be the best resolution for UHD videos. This video recording was my first test on that resolution. I will try 30FPS when I get a chance and compare those 2 with each other.

Brain,

I'm not really used of filming in 4K or editing it, I mostly do photo's with the drone, videos are just as a hobby. However after doing some research on internet, 4K at 24fps was supposed to be the best resolution for UHD videos. This video recording was my first test on that resolution. I will try 30FPS when I get a chance and compare those 2 with each other.

24fps is often touted as the preferred frame rate for that "cinematic" look and for many types of video that may well be the case, but for drone video where the camera is generally quite a bit above the ground AND moving 24fps results in a more obvious stuttery video. Try this yourself to see. You could try 4K60, but you run into a bit rate problem where you're feeding the compressor twice as much data and it needs to compress the stream by twice as much as well to fit within the 100Mbps limitation. For me the sweet spot is 4K30 and 4K being UHD at 3840x2160.

Another video commandment is that the shutter speed needs to be no more than 2X the frame rate and to do that many use ND filters, but I find this rule does not apply to drones or at least to the P4P. See these videos shot at 4K30 and about 1/1000 second shutter speed for example.

Brian

Reactions: KevMo Photog
24fps is often touted as the preferred frame rate for that "cinematic" look and for many types of video that may well be the case, but for drone video where the camera is generally quite a bit above the ground AND moving 24fps results in a more obvious stuttery video. Try this yourself to see. You could try 4K60, but you run into a bit rate problem where you're feeding the compressor twice as much data and it needs to compress the stream by twice as much as well to fit within the 100Mbps limitation. For me the sweet spot is 4K30 and 4K being UHD at 3840x2160.

Another video commandment is that the shutter speed needs to be no more than 2X the frame rate and to do that many use ND filters, but I find this rule does not apply to drones or at least to the P4P. See these videos shot at 4K30 and about 1/1000 second shutter speed for example.

Brian

Nice video examples. Those are pretty good, next time I'll try 4K at 30fps

After reviewing the video a little more, I now notice that he horizon is not really level too. I thought the gimbal did adjust automatic, at least it did that on the Phantom 4 that I used to own, even if the ground before take off was not even.

Nice video examples. Those are pretty good, next time I'll try 4K at 30fps

After reviewing the video a little more, I now notice that he horizon is not really level too. I thought the gimbal did adjust automatic, at least it did that on the Phantom 4 that I used to own, even if the ground before take off was not even.

Tilted horizons are an ongoing issue with some people/drones being worse than others. There are a couple thing you can do to reduce the tilted horizon issue though there is no 100% fix that completely eliminates it. First, make sure you have a good IMU calibration and gimbal calibration and use a very level surface when you do the calibration. Second, your flying technique plays a very important role and being easier/slower on the sticks is important. It doesn't matter how good your IMU and gimbal calibration is if you fly the drone like a fighter pilot -- you must use slower movements. Also, if you notice the horizon is off during a flight you can often improve things by taking your hands off the sticks completely and letting the drone hover for a few seconds to catch up. It's difficult for the IMU to know what level is when the drone is accelerating.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31