499$ P3 Standard ???

Walmart Phantom 3 Standard update:

Ok, I just got back from the Walmart near me that did have a limited amount of P3S drones in stock not long ago, plus one still on display earlier this week. As of today, the display unit is gone, and the shelf tag is gone. No props or batteries either. So I asked a fairly knowledgeable clerk in that department if they had any more P3S drones left in stock. She said, "If that's the one selling for $399, then we're all sold out". Next question: Do they expect to restock it? The answer was, no. Apparently, people have been looking for the Standards and, according to the clerk, all the other stores in this area are sold out as well. That's probably at least six stores, more if you drive another 30 minutes.

I should have grabbed an extra one when they were available. Oh well. If you can find one in a store, it probably won't be there for long.

Sent you a PM.....

Walmart Phantom 3 Standard update:

Ok, I just got back from the Walmart near me that did have a limited amount of P3S drones in stock not long ago, plus one still on display earlier this week. As of today, the display unit is gone, and the shelf tag is gone. No props or batteries either. So I asked a fairly knowledgeable clerk in that department if they had any more P3S drones left in stock. She said, "If that's the one selling for $399, then we're all sold out". Next question: Do they expect to restock it? The answer was, no. Apparently, people have been looking for the Standards and, according to the clerk, all the other stores in this area are sold out as well. That's probably at least six stores, more if you drive another 30 minutes.

I should have grabbed an extra one when they were available. Oh well. If you can find one in a store, it probably won't be there for long.

Our Walmart still had the tags hanging on display with the $399 price for them on clearance, but when I asked for one - they said they were sold out and not getting any more in. So I called 8 different Walmarts around my area to see if there was a single P3S left in any store - and all said sold out as well and no more coming.

I think DJI is surprised at the popularity of the P3S despite all of the new drones, the P3S's are still in BIG demand and prices are holding steady.

I think DJI is surprised at the popularity of the P3S despite all of the new drones, the P3S's are still in BIG demand and prices are holding steady.

Thanks for passing that along. This tends to reinforce my original statement, if someone wants a new P3S for $399, and can get one from a Walmart store, buy it now because it will not last.

I kind of doubt that DJI is paying any serious attention to what's going on in the market with the P3S right now. They discontinued P3S production some time ago, declared end-of-life for that product, and blew out their remaining inventory at discounted prices late last year. They've definitely moved on with newer models. Still, for many of us, the P3S is near and dear to many of us.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
been hearing a lot about this price but when you go looking online....... NOT 2B found...... Anywhere
Just wondering........

Timing and vigilance are everything. I bought my P3S just before Christmas 2016 for $399 direct from DJI. The price dropped to that for a few weeks, so I snapped one up while I could. The Mavic Pro actually dropped below $800 new on Amazon for a week or two earlier this year, but back up to normal pricing now. DJI factory refurb Mavic Pros were at $649 for the longest time on eBay, but now they're about $100 more. I suspect when sales get slow, they drop prices just to instigate a buying frenzy.

I had to drive 120 miles round trip to get my P3S last year after my local store sold me an open box, activated and used one at full price, then $499 (it had video on the sd card even). The store I ended up getting one from only had two in stock, and weren't sure of restocks even at that point (Sept '17).

After upgrades to the smart phone/tablet holder, antennas, landing gear, optical filters, adding 2 extra batteries and a nice "aluminum" case and such, its easy to have well over $700 or more invested in one of these "cheap" drones really quick.

I personally feel lucky to have drawn one with no inherent oddities built in. I took the initial firmware upgrade request, and haven't touched one since. It flies, it's stable, doesn't act up, and does what I need it to do with range far exceeding it's specifications (almost a mile easy).

Its nice to see they're still holding their value, usually tech purchases don't go that way at all. Next month the latest "whatever it is" is always 20% less because the next, latest greatest gizmo version is out. I'm happy I was able to insure mine through State Farm as a personal article... and against *any* loss, regardless of cause, conditions or whatever.

For anyone that's just dying to have one, I would consider selling my entire kit if l could recoup most of my investment. Its pretty low mileage, with ~10 hours flight time, and just as nice cosmetically as the day I unboxed it. As much as I like it, I really tend to reach for my Spark more often than the P3S lately, especially for those "need it airborne now" occasions.

Long live the Phantom 3 Standard!

Reactions: Cobra!1
Does DJI still make P3Standards
No. They have been out of production for a couple of years. Thus this discussion of how hard it is to find one now. They had a short run and by Christmas of last year were basically put on Clearance sale and have pretty much disappeared from anywhere except used online markets like Ebay.

DJI had a 10 year anniversary sale is when they were $399. That's when I picked mine up with a free case from Buydig, and a few other perks.

I personally feel lucky to have drawn one with no inherent oddities built in. I took the initial firmware upgrade request, and haven't touched one since. It flies, it's stable, doesn't act up, and does what I need it to do with range far exceeding it's specifications (almost a mile easy).

That's been my situation exactly. Have not updated since the first required update, and my P3S performs flawlessly, and with max range (just under 2 miles) that is well beyond what's advertised without any mods. I recently upgraded to a P4 but, I'm very reluctant to get rid of my P3S simply because it's such a good machine. I am blessed.

That's been my situation exactly. Have not updated since the first required update, and my P3S performs flawlessly, and with max range (just under 2 miles) that is well beyond what's advertised without any mods. I recently upgraded to a P4 but, I'm very reluctant to get rid of my P3S simply because it's such a good machine. I am blessed.
It's pretty stable and continues to exceed expectations. I will never part with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak