400 Foot Altitude Quiz

Forest Hill Bridge is 900 feet above the river below. The mountain tops are another 400 feet above the bridge level. I'm standing at river level, how high can I fly my drone?
At least up to 400 ft above the bridge between the mountains, up to 400 ft above the mountain at the top of the mountain, and graduated altitudes in between. Because flying at those levels or below does not endanger NAS.

Im gonna have to disagree with that. If that were the case you could take off from the highest mountain around and fly miles away putting you WAY higher than 400' AGL. Its above ground level, not above takeoff point. The logs don't show your actual altitude. In furture UAV's there will likely be an actual reading AGL, until then it is on the pilot to make sure he/she is under 400' as the app doesnt give you this info (unless there is no increase/decrease in ground level as you travel horizontally).
This doesn't make sense to me simply because not all "ground level" starts at 0ft elevation (at sea level). If what you say is accurate, the recommendations/limits would be based on SEA level as opposed to GROUND level.

For example, my house is on the top of a mountain, 500ft above sea level. What I think you're saying would mean that I wouldn't be able to fly in my backyard at all (and planes flying at 500ft would crash into my house).

Therefore, I believe the answer to your question is, yes, you can simply move to a higher spot and fly up to 400ft above that point and still fall within FAA guidelines.

If you look at it from a digital evidence perspective, if a case ends up in court, you can use the logs to prove you were within the 400ft AGL limit from the point where the aircraft was launched, no matter if that was at sea level, or 1000ft above it.

1. the world is not flat.
2. Phantom based all height measurement from the point of take-off
3. FAA guideline stipulate 400 AGL (the ground which is directly below the drone, NOT where it takes off from)

I believe your #3 is incorrect, simply based on the fact that the app measures your altitude from the point where the drone is launched. Wherever you set your drone on the ground, you can fly 400 feet above that plane (no pun intended) and be within FAA regulations. That is the only way it can currently be enforced and therefore that is the measurement to use.

Forest Hill Bridge is 900 feet above the river below. The mountain tops are another 400 feet above the bridge level. I'm standing at river level, how high can I fly my drone?
0016ae37adc9f25a7700f69e5c563099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well it all depends where you take off from. If you take off from the road by the river, as shown in the picture, your limit is 400ft AGL, not my "opinion number" this altitude is set by the FAA. However, if you take off from an area at bridge road level then you have 400ft AGL from that point, which appears to be 400ft above the river road. You still have 400ft AGL to fly and your P3 will actually fly lower than what it knows to be ground level. Or, if you really want to be adventurous, you can take off from the hill top, which you stated to be another 400ft above the bridge and now you have another 400ft AGL to fly since your P3 knows the hill top to be ground level. See, it is all based on how you look at it. According to the FAA it is 400ft AGL from the point you departed.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this, I didn't read all 3 pages of responses.

Jeff

Reactions: AAPhoto
FAA Safety Guidelines are only recommendations. They are not laws nor hard fast regulations. Enforcement is a hard problem. FAA officials are not issued range detectors. They don't have the manpower nor the resources to enforce their "guidelines". If you have and "lost and found" your drone the FAA should be able to help you recover your drone. Try and fly smart and safe.

I believe your #3 is incorrect, simply based on the fact that the app measures your altitude from the point where the drone is launched. Wherever you set your drone on the ground, you can fly 400 feet above that plane (no pun intended) and be within FAA regulations. That is the only way it can currently be enforced and therefore that is the measurement to use.

I think you missed my point.

I do understand that it is the only way that it can currently be followed which is precisely my point as it is not in the spirit of what FAA recommended.

Unless I misunderstood you and you meant to say that FAA recommendation is for us to fly under 400 feet AGL from the point where we take off. If so, I disagree that is what the FAA recommendation is, but DO agree that's what's currently feasible which is why I brought it up for all those "purist" that saying we ALL need to STRICTLY follow the guideline when it simply can not be done.

I'm not a licensed pilot but one would think the altitude recommendation logically means "x min/max altitude above AGL or the highest structure." Otherwise flying a Cessma "500' AGL through New York City" might be technically legal but the outcome would prove rather disastrous. In this case you have the peaks of these hills are obviously at least 900' above the valley floor below. You could ascend from the peak 400' & be perfectly legal. It isn't reasonable to expect you to precisely conform to the Earth's contour in terrain such as this.

0016ae37adc9f25a7700f69e5c563099.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: RasterEyes
Unless your terrain following radar is set at 900'. Then it becomes a rather loud noise! o_O

The 400 ft recommended limit is meant to keep you and manned aircraft a minimum of 100 ft apart. Meaning they are supposed to keep it over 500 ft. If there were a manned aircraft there equipped with Terrain Following Radar and he had the system engaged to maintain 500 ft altitude, then you must strictly not fly above 400 ft. AGL. In other words you are required to terrain follow at 400 ft. AGL. Forget about the bridge. It's just noise.

The answer is you can fly it as high as you want. Which I believe is

I am going to answer the question asked.

Easy answer: You can fly your Phantom 500 meters above where you launched it.

Therein lies the problem.

6. A pilot who doesn't want any drones in any airspace.

I am a pilot and I have not met one that thinks that way. It's just another way to fly. Like it or not, if you are operating an aircraft, you are a PILOT.

As I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Eachcat had seven kits:
Kits, cats, sacks, and wives,
How many were there going to St. Ives?

The answer to the original question is 500 meters above the launch point.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It seems you have trouble delineating what is legal and what the UAS is capable of.
Most of us know the difference.

Reactions: jingthing
All true but at this particular bridge with the walls of the canyon going up another 1000' above the bridge, technically he could fly safely over 1500' and still be safe under the mountain sides and under the radar and all planes. Planes don't fly low in that part of the canyon, only down the middle fork on the other side because out of the picture and up the canyon around the corner is Clementine Dam. I've seen helicopters at water level a number of times over the years but they are few and far between along with not flying above their own limits. We heard a small helicopter coming down stream one day when we were below all of the 4 bridges swimming. As he was coming down river we thought we would scare him so we picked up rocks because he was in "OUR" canyon and we were around 22 years old and drunk... lol.. But he was maybe 50' from us and never saw us. We could have put the rocks through the tail and into the **** pit even but we really didn't want to hurt them and they were a lot closer to us then we thought when they came out from behind the rocks right next to us. My friends and I looked at each other and said, no to rocking them. The pilot and his friend still didn't see us and they were so close to us. I yelled at them instead with the rocks in our hands and scared the cr@p out of him, he panicked, pulled back on his stick and almost went down. He dropped to maybe 3 feet above the water before recovering. Then he started screaming at us because we could have killed him, blah blah blah, etc. We told him to get out of our canyon, flipped him off and that was that. He was going to call the police... lol. I was on the Fire Department and well known in Auburn with 7 generations raised here. The police didn't show, he wet his pants, got scared straight and we never saw him fly down that low again. Yea, I went off topic but this is my home and I grew up on that river and spent many nights climbing on the catwalks under that bridge with my friends as children.

I see, so you own the canyon. "OUR" canyon? Nice story of how you almost killed someone. WTF is going on here!

I am a pilot and I have not met one that thinks that way. It's just another way to fly. Like it or not, if you are operating an aircraft, you are a PILOT.
I disagree. I've seen it at small airports, AMA fields, along with other industries. Where your a noob or outsider aND look down their nose at you.
And yes I know pilots of small aircraft who don't want to share airspace with anyone other than others who fly as they do.

I disagree. I've seen it at small airports, AMA fields, along with other industries. Where your a noob or outsider aND look down their nose at you.
And yes I know pilots of small aircraft who don't want to share airspace with anyone other than others who fly as they do.

I guess there is always someone somewhere. Newbe's are always treated different in the beginning. I have found the "pilot" community to be extremely welcoming. The airspace belongs to all of us.

This doesn't make sense to me simply because not all "ground level" starts at 0ft elevation (at sea level). If what you say is accurate, the recommendations/limits would be based on SEA level as opposed to GROUND level.

For example, my house is on the top of a mountain, 500ft above sea level. What I think you're saying would mean that I wouldn't be able to fly in my backyard at all (and planes flying at 500ft would crash into my house).

Therefore, I believe the answer to your question is, yes, you can simply move to a higher spot and fly up to 400ft above that point and still fall within FAA guidelines.

If you look at it from a digital evidence perspective, if a case ends up in court, you can use the logs to prove you were within the 400ft AGL limit from the point where the aircraft was launched, no matter if that was at sea level, or 1000ft above it.
No, you are misunderstanding me (or I mis spoke). Im saying you can be 400' above the ground directly below your copter. We are probably agreeing.

I see, so you own the canyon. "OUR" canyon? Nice story of how you almost killed someone. WTF is going on here!
We were 20 feet above the river and maybe 30 feet from his prop that was blasting us with dust and debris. I was looking down at him, we weren't at eye level. He easily heard me yelling at him because he was only 50 feet away from us just above the water. There were people below me next to the shore, running for cover because they were at the waters edge and getting hammered by his props blasting the water and everything else out sideways. He was in the wrong for flying under his minimum altitude and putting plenty of people and their children in danger. Some pilots just don't realize where they are until it's after the fact... Just because it looks so beautiful down there... doesn't mean you should fly down there without looking around first. He lived, got scolded, knew he had messed up. If he had been paying attention and not breaking the law, he would have never heard me... When it was all said and done, I smiled at him while shaking my head, we all make mistakes, he tried to smile back but was really smelling his shorts at that time :)

Last edited:
Congratulations to the OP. Great topic. You definitely started the fire on this one. MY thoughts changed several times reading this post.

My thoughts.
1. If the FAA says the limit IS 400 ft, but does NOT state AGL, AMSL or other reference, then how are we supposed to know? If I launch from the bottom of the canyon, the P3 says, at 400 ft above launch site, I'm maxed out, but if I move horizontally, I may actually only be 50 ft AGL.

2. Hell, I forgot my other points........

I'll be back.

No, you are misunderstanding me (or I mis spoke). Im saying you can be 400' above the ground directly below your copter. We are probably agreeing.

I think we are saying the same thing, but to me there are two different viewpoints. Here's how I interpret it.

To keep it simple, Figure 1, below (not to scale) is how the DJI app measures your altitude. It measures it from the point where you launched the drone. If it were up to them, you wouldn't be able to fly above the dotted line. Now, if you take off from a different spot, like halfway up the mountains, then your 400ft ceiling would be raised. To reiterate, that's how the DJI GO APP measures your altitude. Everything is measured from where you take-off and the measurement doesn't change as you fly over higher or lower ground.

Figure 1:
Untitled-2.jpg

The FAA guideline, however, can be interpreted such that you can maintain a 400ft max elevation above ground level.... period. This means the dotted line rises as the ground elevation rises, or lowers. DJI imposed a 1,640ft (500 meter) limit overall as they feel this is a reasonable ceiling to prevent people from getting into trouble with their drones. In short, that means you can go up to 1,640ft high (from your take-off point), as long as you don't go over 400' AGL altitude at any given time (to remain within FAA regulations/guidelines). See Figure 2 below.

Figure 2:
Untitled-4.jpg

But, what about if you take-off from the top of the mountain and fly straight across the valley? :confused: According to the FAA guidelines, you would be flying too high (more than 400' AGL in many spots), yet your flight logs would show that you were never above 400' altitude. This is where I think things could get 'sticky'. See figure 3.

Figure 3:
Untitled-5.jpg

The bottom line is there's some work to be done if the FAA expects to be able to enforce their 'guidelines'.

Does all this make sense, or am I delusional? :eek:o_O

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl