4 propellers came off mid flight

I agree. I think it would be neat to compile all props flying off and model. I feel you wont see any v2, only a few v3 with 2.0 or earlier ESC, and the majority on v3 with 2.1 ESC. That is why I compiled potential proof and causal reason and sent it to dji for analysis. Interesting that my bug report is the ONLY one out of hundreds, and only one from months ago, not yet assigned to a tech.... not even a 'your wrong, bug report closed' reply.... I think this says something....

Hey yorlik,
What do you think it's saying? I can only keep up with you when you say how it is. My mind speculates way off from how your would/does.

I sure wish folks would look here and read your conclusions
http://www.wynotweb.com/Use_the_wrench.html

Last edited:
Can you suggest as to how this is done on a V+? As I mentioned before, I have a V+ and don't see how props can be tightened with a wrench.
The P2 comes with a small wrench that fits on the motor bell to hold it in place while you tighten the props by hand. It allows you to get some torque on the props as opposed to simply spinning them on until the motor starts turning.

Can you suggest as to how this is done on a V+? As I mentioned before, I have a V+ and don't see how props can be tightened with a wrench.

The specially designed wrench slides down onto the motor.
Prop Wrench 1.jpg
Prop Wrench 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: yorlik
The P2 comes with a small wrench that fits on the motor bell to hold it in place while you tighten the props by hand. It allows you to get some torque on the props as opposed to simply spinning them on until the motor starts turning.

Got it... still tightening props by hand but using the wrench to hold the motor. I'd call that tightening my hand as this is the means by which pressure is applied. But I understand what is being said. I like holding the motor my hand as I'd rather not apply so much pressure to the prop hub that I needed a wrench to hold the motor.

again... if the force involved to undo is so great will the wrench do anything?

No way to say for sure....

Engineers can provide definitive answer to both comments. Of course there is a way to tell for sure - MEASURE IT.

OK. Now for "but if the force is great..." - MEASURE it.

Even non engineers can MEASURE it - using a bathroom scale, but that is another story.

Guys, do you not believe in science? When someone calculates the max unscrewing torque these motors can output, and then measures actual torque to unscrew spun on, hand tightened, and wrench tightened, and puts those torques in a chart showing in black and white, why question if the wrench will 'make any difference?' When the motor can have a slight less than 0.010 sec hickup and reverse then correct, it sounds like bees - it does not have to fall from the sky. That the motor can easily output MORE torque than YOU can hand tighten with, yes, the props - 1 or all 4 - can unscrew. wrench tightened provides over 5 times more tightness than these motors can output. Why question it - measure it yourself if you are still in doubt.

Reactions: IflyinWY
just seems bizzare that this prop flying off stuff seems to be a newish problem.. I have only been on forums since Sep or Oct 2014 and don't recall ever seeing it until recently. And when I say forum I mean DJIforums, Rc groups and this forum.

yes its obviously a problem, but whys it a problem now all of a sudden??

And again!! I dont doubt its a problem, just saying seens to be a newish issue....V3 related?

Yorlik: You seem to know alot more about this kind if stuff than I do. Learnt some interesting info reading your reply. So thanks for that. I still wont use a wrench lol, but thsts my choice and not from a lack of believing what you wrote. guess im silly, but hey its my quad :)

Thanks again for the info you provided though. Hopefully someone else takes your warning onboard and it saves there prop flying off.

Ya can lead a horse to water, but ya can't make em drink... :confused:

ROFLMAO

I love this show... :p

Guys, do you not believe in science?
I believe in Science. Where are these calculations and charts you speak of?
NM, I see the link now. Didn't notice it before.
http://www.wynotweb.com/Use_the_wrench.html

Nevertheless, I have always been an advocate for tightening with the wrench and even linked to your thread in my previous post.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/urgent-tighten-your-props-with-wrench.36945/#post-341471
Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything in that thread regarding prop torque or how much was needed to prevent them from coming off.

Update: I missed it. Here it is on page 4 and 5.
The last time I looked at that thread it was only up to page 2.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/urgent-tighten-your-props-with-wrench.36945/page-4#post-346029
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/urgent-tighten-your-props-with-wrench.36945/page-5#post-347060

I also see that Justin00 has been questioning your findings since then.

Last edited:
again... if the force involved to undo is so great will the wrench do anything?.
The force involved to UNDO is NOT that great.
Only ~2.4#-in of torque. Not much.
Just spinning on the prop without tightening is even less though. Only ~1.2#-in.
Using the wrench can get you up to ~13#-in which the motor could never remove with only ~2.4#-in of force.

Hmmm... starting to convince me to spend the extra 8 secs and use wrench :)

Great post. thanks!

Still leaves the question of why its only a problem in the last few months though?

Just spinning on the prop without tightening is even less though. Only ~1.2#-in.
Using the wrench can get you up to ~13#-in which the motor can't remove at only ~2.4#-in.

Perhaps the answer for concerned V3 owners is to get some P3 props that are designed to hold on with active braking?
:eek: You a mod now ;) Congrad's !
I will have to get a set and see if they much different than the plan 9450's .

Using the wrench can get you up to ~13#-in which the motor could never remove with only ~2.4#-in of force.

Just a little correction: even tho spin on only tightens to 1.2#-in, running the motor DOES tighten it up - in my tests to same 2.4#-in as hardest I could hand tightening. So both spin on and hand tighten result in same lever of UNSCREW torque AFTER running a while. But neither approach a stiff wrench tightening tho.

@yorlik, have you ever tested the self tighten feature by installing the props by one thread and then starting the motors? In my un-scientific experiment for same, there was no way to remove the props unless you used the tool.

Reactions: IflyinWY
@yorlik, have you ever tested the self tighten feature by installing the props by one thread and then starting the motors? In my un-scientific experiment for same, there was no way to remove the props unless you used the tool.

No, I just spun them on with a good swing, letting them turn the 4 revs or so and stop when they were on. I never considered anyone would turn 1 turn and let motor spin them the other 3! interesting tho! I have time to play since we are under sever thunderstorm warning & tornado watch..... will report back!

No, I just spun them on with a good swing, letting them turn the 4 revs or so and stop when they were on. I never considered anyone would turn 1 turn and let motor spin them the other 3! interesting tho! I have time to play since we are under sever thunderstorm warning & tornado watch..... will report back!
Well it's been 22 minutes so he's ether cut his fingers off or a tornado got em :eek:

Reactions: Meta4 and IflyinWY
HA! I still gotta answer customer phone calls....

Rich, there is good reason you cannot remove your props spun on this way!

1) I did it three times. I rev of thread, other 3 unspun.
2) throttled up FAST a dozen times (board w/weights thru feet to hold down)
3) measured force on 32oz-in scale to loosen prop (4.375" out from center) and got 32, 33, & 35 oz in 3 different tests. So using avg 33.33oz*4.375"/(#/16oz)= 9.1#-in!!!

Since the most I could tighten by hand holding the motor was in the 2-3#-in range, this 9 is way above what I can remove by hand - need the wrench as you say.

My opinion is this would also totally prevent prop fly off since it is still about 3 times higher than the motors can output..

BUT - DO YOU *REALY* WANT TO SUBJECT YOUR MOTORS AND PROPS TO THIS ABUSE?

I would not. It is very abusive to spin the prop's inertia in those few milliseconds 3 revolutions and have them SMACK against the motor stop. I believe if you did this 100 times you would end up with dinged up motor and prop threads. I would also be very concerned that I might loosen the plastic to metal hub connection in the props, thereby leading to more prop failures. Nope, I would not do this on a regular basis when I have access to a nice little wrench that will give me 13#-in with no abusive banging around to either motor or prop.

Excellent comment Rich!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4