4,000+ Miles Flown---Anyone Have More?

GadgetGuy

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
4,000+ Miles Flown---Anyone have more?
IMG_8385.jpg

Nice work gadget guy!!!! I don’t know how far I have flown total but it would be a long way short of this....

How many AC failures have you had. If none it’s a great indication of hiw reliable out toys can be.

6.4 miles per flight is some average!
VLOS?
Most flights are now averaging over 10 miles completely stock, in an isosceles right triangle, 3 miles to a side, and a 4.25 mile hypotenuse. My vision has improved with age! :p

Reactions: OOO
Nice work gadget guy!!!! I don’t know how far I have flown total but it would be a long way short of this....

How many AC failures have you had. If none it’s a great indication of hiw reliable out toys can be.
Two AC failures, one when a duct taped motor mount crack completely separated, and a second due to battery shutoff in midair during overhead testing. One additional AC drowned due to pilot error, while flying under a low bridge and ascending too soon. All were avoidable, had I been better pilot, knowing what I know now. :cool:

I'm at 298 miles in 114 flights and 27:46:22 air time. I do not think I'll come anywhere near 4000 miles on my P4P before it's retired. At about 45GB/hour 182 hours would require somewhere around 8TB of storage with no redundancy and I try to maintain 3X redundancy.

Brian

I'm at 298 miles in 114 flights and 27:46:22 air time. I do not think I'll come anywhere near 4000 miles on my P4P before it's retired. At about 45GB/hour 182 hours would require somewhere around 8TB of storage with no redundancy and I try to maintain 3X redundancy.

Brian
Redundancy is good. 6TB Seagate drives were $119 at CostCo just before Christmas. I have 5 of the 5TB ones, and picked up two more of the 6TB ones. Desktop now complains that have exceeded the maximum number of USB 3.0 devices supported by the internal hub. Can only use one 6TB at a time with all the others hooked up.

Redundancy is good. 6TB Seagate drives were $119 at CostCo just before Christmas. I have 5 of the 5TB ones, and picked up two more of the 6TB ones. Desktop now complains that have exceeded the maximum number of USB 3.0 devices supported by the internal hub. Can only use one 6TB at a time with all the others hooked up.

In my desktop I have two 6TB drives -- one for drone videos and audio, and the other for non-drone video and all my still images. At present my drone drive has just under 2TB of data on it whereas my other 6TB drive has close to 4TB. My next step will probably have to be 10TB or 12TB but hopefully I can get another year out of my current set. Of course I have externals with copies of all that data, but there to I'll be playing catch up. My externals are a collection of 2TB and 4TB drives.

4K video and my Nikon D800E's sure do eat data at a prodigious rate.

Brian

4K video and my Nikon D800E's sure do eat data at a prodigious rate.
Brian
They sure do! However, the quality is worth it, and storage keeps getting larger and cheaper every year! My first 250 MB hard drive was $850! Look at us now! 6 TB for $119! 24,000 times as large, for 12% of the cost!

They sure do! However, the quality is worth it, and storage keeps getting larger and cheaper every year! My first 250 MB hard drive was $850! Look at us now! 6 TB for $119! 24,000 times as large, for 12% of the cost!

My first HD was 20MB in an IBM PS/2 Mod-50 back in about 1988 if I remember correctly. A single RAW file from my D800E is about 45MB. A 20MB HD would hold about 1.6 seconds of 4K video at 100Mbs.

Brian

Probably left the phantom turned on while driving around the city all the time.

Last edited:
I rotate about a dozen batteries, landing at 7-10% remaining, which is still over 3.65V per cell.

Amazing achievement!
Excuse my ignorance but can you please advise how you land at 7% battery when it forces landing at 10% (unprogrammable)?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj