3K Budget

Reaction score
So my work has given me a 3k budget for a drone purchase. I will be flying inside most of the time so proximity sensors are a huge plus. Personally I already own a Phantom 3 Standard. So I'm already pretty adept at flying.
The main goal of this drone would be for project progress we can show our clients. Brass already mentioned something about live stream as well. I'm leaning towards a Phantom 4 Pro. But the mavic seems a likely option as well. Not too fond of the smaller form and twitchy gimbal, so I've read that is.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

What kind of buildings will you be flying inside?

What kind of buildings will you be flying inside?
Steel structure, we have two buildings. #1 is a 200k Sq ft manufacturing facility. And #2 is a massive 100×150 building that has 65' clearance ceiling with no structural supports in the middle.
2ce841209595f4985fda38e8c0ae2c44.jpg
74d7e866916e83267f4e0b1cefa37411.jpg

I'm assuming the floor has metal reinforcements in it, so you'd probably be fine if you hand launch/catch (or launch/land from some type of non magnetic platform). As for obstacle avoidance, the Phantom 4 Pro might be a better choice since it's able to avoid obstacles on all 4 sides when flying in beginner/tripod mode. The Mavic is only able to avoid obstacles that are directly in front of it.

Good catch. I have yet fly mine inside, but I do know for a fact that there is subfloor heating in the large room. There is pipes and steel running everywhere. The other shop not too sure of. But we are custom fabricators, I'll whip up a fancy helipad. Haha. I never realized the mavic only has forward facing. I love thr inspires top mounted sensors as I will be testing the limits of height eventually. But I think the inspire is a tad over kill.

The steel elsewhere should be fine as long as you don't fly close to it.

The steel elsewhere should be fine as long as you don't fly close to it.
I'm assuming, which I'll confirm soon enough is that I will have zero gps lock. And from what I've read about the downward sensors is that is almost as good in situations Iike that. Can anyone confirm?

If your P3S is not able to get a GPS lock, then the P4P/Mavic shouldn't either. The downward sensors will help stabilize the aircraft as long as there is enough light and a pattern on the floor to lock onto. If you're flying over an empty area on the floor, they probably won't be as helpful.

If your P3S is not able to get a GPS lock, then the P4P/Mavic shouldn't either. The downward sensors will help stabilize the aircraft as long as there is enough light and a pattern on the floor to lock onto. If you're flying over an empty area on the floor, they probably won't be as helpful.
I haven't tried yet. Just a safe assumption. I'll bring mine into the shop on Monday to test. Thanks for your input! [emoji106]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic