3DR Solo

Reaction score
So, this was finally officially announced.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I gotta say, some of the features I'm jealous of. I love the P2, but I pine for control over the GoPro while flying.
Sure I could have gone with a V+ and got some more control, and the P3 adds a bit more now, but things we've been wishing DJI would build in as native controls these guys have just done instead of opening it up for users to do it for them. Hello, orbit!

The Solo looks like crap (personal opinion, I just don't like it), but some of the features are really great (different colour LED options if multiple people flying is just one great idea). Even silly things like the auto selfie
Some of the footage in the video on the article doesn't look as smooth, but it's recorded from the iPad by the looks of it so might be some lag in there. They also say in the article that it's something they're trying to fix so guess it is actually in the footage too.

The GoPro control requires the gimbal add-on too, which adds some cost to it, but then so does the H3-3D.

3DR offer great support by the sounds of it. All flights are logged, and if it crashes and it's not your fault the thing will say do you want to submit a ticket? Then they'll replace for free, even the GoPro if that gets broken too!

This is a great write up by the Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/13/8394359/3d-robotics-solo-drone-quadcopter-gopro

Last edited:
I'm very interested! My Vision+ has been great, but this looks like a step forward. The Orbit, Cable Cam, Follow Me modes are sweet if they work as well as advertized. I hear their support is great. Also the fact the the Brain Farm team was involved means its got to be pretty good. Will be very interesting to see the comparisons between the P3 Pro and the Solo with H4Black.

Holy crap ! That's some impressive support, they have been really listening what DJI customers are complaining.

I think H4Black + Solo will be better in terms of image quality. Flight time is lower than on P3Pro but 20 min is still fairly good.

If GoPro is releasing its own drones, will they drop support for these in future? GoPro5 and etc.

The Guinnmeister has resurfaced! but I'll stick with the P3P... Like those "smart" camera features though. Hopefully DJI's SDK will allow for something similar down the road.

Last edited:
Wow. If only half of this is true, it could be a game changer. Finally, an alternative which will give DJI a run for the money. And apparently 3DR actually has customer service!

Anyone recognize the opening location?
Spaceport, NM.

hello solo, good bye dji.

For me I've been waiting on 3DR to release a competitive RTF with full FPV integration and control.

It's a no brainer based on the warranty alone. 3DR is setting the standard for service, as expected by the Euro and N. American markets. Again, for me, DJI had its chance to step up on service, the Inspire 1 aftermath is just the recent example...

Time will tell how it all works out, but I'd venture to bet they will follow through. Now just waiting on the full specs and accessories pricing.

SOLOng DJI!

Reactions: Tabbe
I want to see what this thing can really do when it gets in a real persons hands!! This could make me switch over from DJI. I am tired of DJI's crappy batteries and customer service!!!

One thing I haven't seen on their site is claims on battery life/flight time. Anyone have a source on that?

Said about 20 mins flight time in the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this info is from @dronebois

the @3DRobotics #Solo: first drone to stream live HD video from GoPro to iPhone and Android. New video game style controller. Future-proof accessory and gimbal bay. LiDAR for stable indoor flight. Ballistic parachute system. "The first drone with a brain, Solo is powered by twin computers." ($999.95) tune in to the official unveiling tomorrow. #dronebois
https://instagram.com/p/1Z2Hq4AcQD/?taken-by=dronebois

Also to add to this topic (I didn't check anywhere else but here)..

If the flight logs show Solo was lost or damaged due to a system error, 3DR will immediately repair or replace not only the drone, but the gimbal and the GoPro as well. In fact, we are so confident in the user experience that Solo offers, there’s even a limited 30-day satisfaction money-back guarantee.

So technically I shouldn't be scared to fly over oceans on the first 30-days. ;)

I'm pretty stoked about the 3DR SOLO at the moment that I feel like crossing over mainly from the new auto-pilot features, HDMI output off the remote and the fact that I can record and change settings on the fly (literally) for my GoPro. I'm going to wait a bit though for more reviews and hands-on since I noticed it didn't look as refined [as the promo videos] when you look at the screen capture from The Verge's hands-on video (some shaking here and there and I think I saw lag), but then again it looked pretty windy out there.

I'm not really interested on the overall flight times (P3 being slightly longer) since I don't really fly for an extended time or distance. And my wallet is kinda empty too, haha. I'll gladly take a demo unit for an honest review though. ;)

Last edited:
I just placed my order for the SOLO and the gimbal.
I think I'll sale my Iris+ (keep the Phantoms of course) as well.
3DR's customer support is incredible.
I bought the Iris+ this past January at a Fry's store. My second flight it dropped from the sky at 60 meters and was in pieces. Downloaded the flight data from the SD card (their "black box" data recorder) and sent it to 3DR. It was a failure of the ESC. Sent the pieces back and a week later a brand new Iris+ was at my door.
I had some challenges with getting the drone connected to enable software updates, setting changes, etc. Called customer support and within moments was talking to a fantastic young woman in tech support who took me step by step through the settings I needed to tweak or change.

DJI is going to have to step up their game to compete with 3DR, Yuneec, and a few of the other new contenders coming along. I think they will.

Reactions: UrAwFuL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic