3DR Solo

so u will have to buy a quad.
gimbal and a camera.
is that corect?

I was reading another thread in P2V+ forum, kind of lets you know where 3DR thinking is right.. Flight tracking, the phantom offering is nothing with the current bird and then the P3/Inspire has it in the bird. Solo is kept in the controller and is accessible by the user...

When things do go wrong, it's nice to have some info in hand rather than at the bottom of a pond. That's a $100 feature...

About $1800. I see the BE going for about $400.

just pulled the trigger on the3dr and go pro black.
should be interesting.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Does anybody know if the Galaxy s5 phone will work with the 3dr solo

Well, I work for a tech dept at a school and we just received a grant for Video Production.....quite a bit of $, so we are going to buy a drone. Since I'm the only one who knows anything at all about drones or actually owns one, it's pretty much up to me to make the decision.....I'm leaning towards the 3DR SOLO for a few reasons, the "Follow me" feature, the "Orbit" feature, DJI's well known poor customer service (customer service is very important to a school) and mostly because of the HDMI streaming capability directly from the Remote, this will give us the option to stream live into our Sports broadcast. And after reading another really interesting post yesterday on DJI's awful customer service...that kinda tipped the scales in the SOLO's favor for sure! I'm always a little nervous to pull the trigger on something when it so new, I like to wait till a company works out the bugs and kinks, but 3DR has had good luck with their IRIS+ (at least from what I've heard and read), so hopefully the SOLO will be all it's cracked up to be!!

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/frustrated-with-dji.39021/#post-360417

Last edited:
Well, I work for a tech dept at a school and we just received a grant for Video Production.....quite a bit of $, so we are going to buy a drone. Since I'm the only one who knows anything at all about drones or actually owns one, it's pretty much up to me to make the decision.....I'm leaning towards the 3DR SOLO for a few reasons, the "Follow me" feature, the "Orbit" feature, DJI's well know poor customer service (customer service is very important to a school) and mostly because of the HDMI streaming capability directly from the Remote, this will give us the option to stream live into our Sports broadcast. And after reading another really interesting post yesterday on DJI's awful customer service...that kinda tipped the scales in the SOLO's favor for sure! I'm always a little nervous to pull the trigger on something when it so new, I like to wait till a company works out the bugs and kinks, but 3DR has had good luck with their IRIS+ (at least from what I've heard and read), so hopefully the SOLO will be all it's cracked up to be!!

I think the SOLO is a wise choice for a HS group with the great customer service of 3DR. And the ability to upgrade, pop in new motors/parts, and having open source firmware is perfect for an educational group.
Good Luck!

Reactions: Drumnut12
I think the SOLO is a wise choice for a HS group with the great customer service of 3DR. And the ability to upgrade, pop in new motors/parts, and having open source firmware is perfect for an educational group.
Good Luck!
Thanks! I'll let y'all know how it goes!

I’m really thinking about dropping the $$ for the SOLO as well. I’ve been on the fence about the P3 pro but it’s all going to depend on how DJI handles my repair of my P2V3 that dropped out of the sky and trashed the camera.

So far I see mixed reviews about 3DR’s customer service but the majority of it is good. Support, service and standing behind the product are the biggest deciding factors for me! I’ll be watching this thread to see how things go…

Well, I work for a tech dept at a school and we just received a grant for Video Production.....quite a bit of $, so we are going to buy a drone. Since I'm the only one who knows anything at all about drones or actually owns one, it's pretty much up to me to make the decision.....I'm leaning towards the 3DR SOLO for a few reasons, the "Follow me" feature, the "Orbit" feature, DJI's well known poor customer service (customer service is very important to a school) and mostly because of the HDMI streaming capability directly from the Remote, this will give us the option to stream live into our Sports broadcast. And after reading another really interesting post yesterday on DJI's awful customer service...that kinda tipped the scales in the SOLO's favor for sure! I'm always a little nervous to pull the trigger on something when it so new, I like to wait till a company works out the bugs and kinks, but 3DR has had good luck with their IRIS+ (at least from what I've heard and read), so hopefully the SOLO will be all it's cracked up to be!!

DJI has been closing-off the Phantom line's ecosystem since the intro of the 'intelligent battery'.
Now the P3 has continued that [closing] through integration and thus very limited opportunities for substitution of components (motors, antennas???).

The P3 has stepped closer to a pure photog's quad and not so much a hobbyist's quad..

Based on what we've been shown and told as well as the open-source and expansion aspects...

I too think a SOLO is much, much better in an instructional environment.

Maybe even get the computer, robotic, or electronic classes/clubs involved too if possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drumnut12
Looks like 3DR is competing with DJI.
Unfortunately for 3DR they are competing with the P2 series and just aren't in the race against the P3.
Twice the price for less features - unbeatable value proposition.

Or .. you could buy 2 P3 Advanced for less than one 3DR Solo + gimbal + Hero 4 black and be way, way ahead.

Hope you never have to live through a flyaway. At least with the 3DR, everything is recorded. I suspect there is a reason DJI didn't go that route with the P3. Easier to blame the pilot with no evidence. Saying the 3DR is in the same class as the P2 is just silly fan boy talk. I wish you the best of luck because if your phantom ever flies away, without the flight data, you will need it.

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik