$35,000 to remove drone from power lines

It would have been cheaper to train a monkey to get it.

“That is a staggering sum of money — all for the benefit of the liberty to fly some toy around in an environment where it doesn’t belong,” he said.

What environment does it belong? I love how the article is totally negative.

" “It could have been someone engaged in peeping-Tom activities,” he said of whoever was operating the drone. "
Yes, because people fly several thousand dollars worth of Insipre 1 drones over scenic areas as beautiful as that, so that they can see some old couple in a houseboat do their thing from over 120 feet away. Because nothing gets you off quicker than seeing 6 pixels blur up against another 6 pixels. Seriously, at that height, you wouldn't recognise your own wife, let alone get any thrills out of looking at anyone else. It might not be only 6 pixels, but a person wouldn't be too many more than that at that distance.

"Seattle police took custody of the drone, hoping to find out who owns it. Police spokesman Patrick Michaud said the department will check to see if there was any violation of Federal Aviation Administration rules."
Well, unless they're totally useless, it shouldn't be too hard - aren't Inspire 1's registered to an owner during purchase? Let alone anything that might be on the SD card. So I imagine someone is going to be quite nervous hearing costs like that bandied around while also knowing the Police are now trying to find the owner.

Problem is people just don't know that the camera can't zoom or that it's so noisy, not their fault to be fair.

They'd have a hard time proving the drone is anyone's. Deny deny deny, it could have been stolen, sold or many other things.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
By the description that it was making noise and there was a constant glow from this thing, it sounds like it was already arcing out badly, so it may well be a little toasted already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Jones said he was bothered by the idea of a drone flying by their home, believing it was more than likely equipped with a camera. However, more concerning to him was the buzzing noise and the glow the drone gave off at night. Jones also was worried the drone might burn up, fall onto his neighbor’s roof and cause a fire."

all right, another fear mongers 5 minutes of fame..... Drone was buzzing and glowing? after one week? 115KV most likely cooked everything...

Reactions: 750r
Corona discharge...regarding the light and sound. But yes, maybe it did burn up the electronics...time will tell.

"Jones said he was bothered by the idea of a drone flying by their home, believing it was more than likely equipped with a camera. However, more concerning to him was the buzzing noise and the glow the drone gave off at night. Jones also was worried the drone might burn up, fall onto his neighbor’s roof and cause a fire."

all right, another fear mongers 5 minutes of fame..... Drone was buzzing and glowing? after one week? 115KV most likely cooked everything...
Land of the free, home of the brave. LOL!!

The day is near when everyone has to pass a test flight and get a license to fly drones (which of course costs 1k at least)

One thing I quickly learned when I move to Seattle, was it's full of rich idiots.

Who thinks trying to fly a 3 grand quad copter near power lines is ever a good idea?

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic