3 more Newbie questions

Reaction score
I have read a lot and watched a ton of helpful You tube videos, but I am still confused about the toggle switches on the controller.

1. Are the toggle switches fully functional from the factory? or do I have to run an "assistant" to make them 100% functional? I realize I have to flip the RH toggle to set up the GPS, so I know it must work, at least for that.
  2. Out of the box, can I shut off the GPS to learn to "hand fly" the P2 for practice? If so, if things go downhill, can I flip the GPS back on for help?
  3. I tried the "Auto land" (left lever down and locked), the P2 bounced hard (on asphalt) and almost rolled over. Is this auto land feature a sneaky way to sell prop blades? (or should I do my GPS orientation on grass or something else soft?
Thank you all for the replies. You are making my flights more enjoyable each time. I can't wait to try FPV / POV ? Not sure which one is correct (or more correct) I don't have any of that equipment yet. Got some studying to do before I buy.

I have read a lot and watched a ton of helpful You tube videos, but I am still confused about the toggle switches on the controller.

1. Are the toggle switches fully functional from the factory? or do I have to run an "assistant" to make them 100% functional? I realize I have to flip the RH toggle to set up the GPS, so I know it must work, at least for that.
  2. Out of the box, can I shut off the GPS to learn to "hand fly" the P2 for practice? If so, if things go downhill, can I flip the GPS back on for help?
  3. I tried the "Auto land" (left lever down and locked), the P2 bounced hard (on asphalt) and almost rolled over. Is this auto land feature a sneaky way to sell prop blades? (or should I do my GPS orientation on grass or something else soft?
Thank you all for the replies. You are making my flights more enjoyable each time. I can't wait to try FPV / POV ? Not sure which one is correct (or more correct) I don't have any of that equipment yet. Got some studying to do before I buy.

When switch S1 is toggled up an down 5 times it has nothing to do with GPS. What you are doing by rapid toggling S1 is setting the P2 up for compass calibration and nothing else. S1 is labeled as GPS ATTI and either manual or failsafe depending how you set it up in the software but be aware that phantom mode there is no ATTI mode in the center position. In order to have ATTI on S1 you have to switch from Phantom to Naza-M in the software.

Out of the box and ready to fly is a false statement made by DJI as you P2 needs to be completely calibrated before its first flight. That means the RC controller, P2 including an advanced IMU and a compass calibration.

Find a grassy field field to fly in and away from asphalt/concrete so hard landing won't cause as much damage. Without FPV I wouldn't fly to faraway so you can see what color the LEDs are flashing

Reactions: Gyroplanes
In addition...

S2 requires IOC activation in the Assistant as well (Course Lock, Home Lock)

With regards to the left stick hold feature, it is not auto land it is there to reduce fatigue for long descents.

You must still land it manually.

RTH and auto-land proper (for low battery) will be gentler on the landing but may bounce a bit to verify it has actually landed.

In addition...

S2 requires IOC activation in the Assistant as well (Course Lock, Home Lock)

With regards to the left stick hold feature, it is not auto land it is there to reduce fatigue for long descents.

You must still land it manually.

RTH and auto-land proper (for low battery) will be gentler on the landing but may bounce a bit to verify it has actually landed.

Anybody that quotes FZ is a friend indeed. Great googly moogly

I tried to insert a picture of me with Ed Mann from a Project Object concert a few years back. I started listening to Frank way back in the 60's and only missed one concert in Chicago out of all of them. I saw Dweezil a month or so ago.

Last edited:
Great, we have Uncle Meat here somewhere too!

Personally I wouldn't be in any hurry to turn IOC on until you more then a few flight under your belt.

Personally I wouldn't be in any hurry to turn IOC on until you more then a few flight under your belt.

I had my scare early on and every flight gets easier. I am in no hurry and want to be cautious, that's why I asked about flipping it back on. Can you go back to GPS after switching to IOC?

Since a lot of newbies probably read this, I'll tell about my scare. I had been flying my P2 as if I were practicing flying a helicopter (full size) I got quite confident and was ready to mount the GoPro. We had a visitor that is flying a gyroplane around the world from Ireland (he went the long way around). I wanted to get him, his gyro and our club's hangar all in one shot. I lifted the P2 into a hover and did a fly away from my position and a slight climb. To my amazement, the P2 came at me. I remembered to climb out of trouble. The video shows I missed the hangar roof by inches. I got the copter back in sight and thought it was acting odd responding to my controls. I was still shaken as I thought I had a fly-away in progress. I regained proper control and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Guess what I did wrong!
You guessed it, I always flew it facing forward. With the camera in place, I turned it around. Yes, the P2 was obeying my backwards stick command. I almost paid dearly.

I had my scare early on and every flight gets easier. I am in no hurry and want to be cautious, that's why I asked about flipping it back on. Can you go back to GPS after switching to IOC?

When you flip S1 to the center position you are still in GPS mode. Put your P2 in the air about 2 feet out and 10 foot up while in GPS you'll a slow blinking green LEDs now switch S1 to the center position and LEDs are green. Well in ATTI those LEDs would be flashing yellow in stead of green. In ATTI if the wind blowing over your shoulder and the P2 is facing forward it would drift forward in the direction of the wind until you give it a command. While it is drifting with the wind and switch from ATTI to GPS it will stop and hover where it's at and of course the LEDs would return to flashing green. But to have that control you would have to switch from Phantom mode to Naza-M without checking the box for IOC.

I think you are confusing terms. Out of the box, a new Phantom 2 is in the "Phantom" mode and the left switch does nothing. The right switch selects from "GPS" to "ATTI" and "RTH". In the Phantom Assistant program you can change the last position from RTH to Manual. Don't do this.

You can select the "Naza" mode in the Phantom Assistant program. This enables the selections of IOC (Course Lock and Home Lock), but most pilots I know just leave the switch in the "Off" position.

However, the "Naza Mode" gives you more information from the lights on the Phantom.

Sorry Steve but in Phantom mode S1 does not have ATTI It only works when you switch from Phantom to Naza-M in the assistant software.

As I recall from reading the manual, i think lowering the left stick to the "hold" position will turn the motors off! and down will come your Phantom! CRASH!

As I recall from reading the manual, i think lowering the left stick to the "hold" position will turn the motors off! and down will come your Phantom! CRASH!

Beter go back and read the manual again. On the P2 v2 the left stick has a lock position but will not shut off the motors while descending until it's on the ground.

Popular misconception that comes up frequently.
DJI designers who are smart enough to design the P3 are smart enough that they would not have it crash when you descend for >3 secs.
The manual doesn't suggest anything like that. Here's what it does say
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

If you are high enough you can hold the left stick down for 33 seconds and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.
That's what the manual says and that's the way it works.
Hundreds of pilots have tested and confirmed this.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

"Popular misconception that comes up frequently."

Well I think that was where I was confused and getting things mixed up! I DID read the manual several times, but must have "assumed" too much and got CSC mixed up with left stick down.
GEEZ.... give a new guy a break!!! I AM trying to learn, as EVERYONE here had to do! NOBODY was born a Phantom "genius"!

Thank you Meta4 for clarification!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj