3/5 Updated Autopilot firmware v3.12 released

Re: STICKY: Phantom Vision v3.0 Update 4/06: No-Fly Zones Ad

Cyclone said:
Updated a few days ago and took the Vision out for a fly. I had 2 'Return To Home' errors, both being about 100 yards away. Both times I noticed a jump in the view on the phone (like a pause then a catchup, if that makes sense?).

I dont know if Ive done something wrong but it wasnt like this before the update. Ive had this Vision 3 months with about 12 flights and not getting anything like others are having on stock with high altitudes and long distances :(

Like I said I dont know if Im doing something wrong but Ive lost of bit of interest in this :cry:
Are you 100% certain that your Range Extender is FULLY charged (green LED just before unplugging the charging cable) and that your AA Batteries are fresh? Do you have your Range Extender aimed at the P2V? Your transmitter antenna pointed towards the sky (assuming the P2V is at moderate height and flying horiozontally away from you? Are you flying in FCC mode?

If the answer is "yes" to all the above, you should be getting at least the advertised distances.

phantomguy said:
Cyclone said:
Updated a few days ago and took the Vision out for a fly. I had 2 'Return To Home' errors, both being about 100 yards away. Both times I noticed a jump in the view on the phone (like a pause then a catchup, if that makes sense?).

I dont know if Ive done something wrong but it wasnt like this before the update. Ive had this Vision 3 months with about 12 flights and not getting anything like others are having on stock with high altitudes and long distances :(

Like I said I dont know if Im doing something wrong but Ive lost of bit of interest in this :cry:
Are you 100% certain that your Range Extender is FULLY charged (green LED just before unplugging the charging cable) and that your AA Batteries are fresh? Do you have your Range Extender aimed at the P2V? Your transmitter antenna pointed towards the sky (assuming the P2V is at moderate height and flying horiozontally away from you? Are you flying in FCC mode?

If the answer is "yes" to all the above, you should be getting at least the advertised distances.
I believe the Range Extender is only used for info to/from the smart phone app and should not cause a "Return To Home" if it has problems. However, bad AA batteries in the controller and other problems with the controller could cause a "Return To Home". A bug in firmware 3.0 could also cause a "Return To Home".

I didn't think at the time of writing the above, but I did put some batteries in the tx that weren't totally new.

I'll buy some new ones and try again in the morning.

I was on a downer and didn't think of the batteries.

Cheers fellas.

MikeySoft said:
phantomguy said:
Cyclone said:

I believe the Range Extender is only used for info to/from the smart phone app and should not cause a "Return To Home" if it has problems. However, bad AA batteries in the controller and other problems with the controller could cause a "Return To Home". A bug in firmware 3.0 could also cause a "Return To Home".

Agreed. The extender references in my post were directed to his complaint about the "jump in the view" on his phone. At those short distances he mentioned a fully charged range extender aimed in the direction of the Phantom should result in non-jumping video

phantomguy said:
At those short distances he mentioned a fully charged range extender aimed in the direction of the Phantom should result in non-jumping video

...lack of processing power in display device?

Think it might be tx batteries, everything else was fully charged. And using an S4 for screen.

I'll let you know how it goes with new batteries, but it looks like user error :oops:

Cyclone said:

P2V stock, you should get at least 1000ft distance for video as long as you have clear line of sight to the P2V. If you're at a reasonable height you might get 1100-1200ft. You need to ensure that everything is charged up including the batteries in the controller.

What would help if you detailed what phone you were using, the version of the app etc and what you mean by return to home errors. Did the P2V come home on its own or did you instigate it? Were you flying in Vision mode or Naza mode?

cheers

Bmews

MikeySoft said:
DJI Phantom firmware version 3 is too restrictive for Boston, MA, USA!

I estimation firmware version 3.0 will limit the height to around 50 feet to where this video was taken over Boston Common, a park in Boston. Trees in the park are about that hight, surrounding buildings are a lot taller.

This video will not have been able to me made with the latest update of the firmware.

PS
In this video, the buildings are between the Phantom and the airport.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJzZovaWA8[/youtube]

how do you estimate 50 feet? Logan is still a few miles away so while it's within 5 miles, it is outside the truly restricted 1.5 mile zone and they say you can be up to 400 feet when you are between 1.5 to 5 miles.

race3 said:
MikeySoft said:

I estimation firmware version 3.0 will limit the height to around 50 feet to where this video was taken over Boston Common, a park in Boston. Trees in the park are about that hight, surrounding buildings are a lot taller.

This video will not have been able to me made with the latest update of the firmware.

PS

how do you estimate 50 feet? Logan is still a few miles away so while it's within 5 miles, it is outside the truly restricted 1.5 mile zone and they say you can be up to 400 feet when you are between 1.5 to 5 miles.

Looking at the map in the safe flight video, it looks like the 35 feet high starts 1/2 the distance to the 5 miles which is incorrect.

I redid my math. According to the map on dji safe flight page. Boston Common starts about 1/2 the distance from what they say is the center of the airport to the 5 mile limit. So it is about 2.5 miles away. At 1.5 miles the max altitude is 35 feet. At 5 miles it goes to 400 feet. So… (400 – 35)/(5 – 1.5) = 104 feet per mile.

Boston Common is about 2.5 miles away as I said above so it is 1 miles from the start of the cone at 1.5 miles. So the max high there is 104 + 35 = 139 feet.

Sorry I did the math wrong but 139 feet is still lower than many of the surrounding buildings and lower than many of the building closer to the airport. To me, it looks like the Phantom when over 139 feet so this video could have not been made. I also don't know how distracting the warnings that you are in/near a no fly zone will be. I also would not want it to land because it thinks in is closer then the start of the cone.

After 68 min wait, I spoke to DJI and was informed that my Flipping Out problem is a version 3 software problem. BEWARE! DO NOT UPDATE. They have no fix for this so far. Now I have a $1200 piece of flippin plastic I'm looking at!

Petereesha said:
After 68 min wait, I spoke to DJI and was informed that my Flipping Out problem is a version 3 software problem. BEWARE! DO NOT UPDATE. They have no fix for this so far. Now I have a $1200 piece of flippin plastic I'm looking at!
That may be what dji put the previous firmware back on the download web site.

Did not update to v3.0 just the phone app and now i'm getting this while i'm in my room over 7km far from the airport :lol:

fxiu.jpg

I'm still new and learning but wanted to post my experience.

I'm using iPhone 4 and DJI App 1.0.37 (updated a few days ago)

First flight with the new version I also go the "you are in a restricted area" popup, I'm 30 miles from the nearest no-fly zone so I knew that wasn't correct. I was able to take off and fly but didn't go very far.

I fixed this by landing the unit then closing the app and re-opening it. Took a few seconds to "connect" but everything went well and I flew around until the battery warning and landed safely.

Put in my 2nd battery, went thru startup, this time before I took off the popup showed "you are above the max height" (or whatever that warning is). I closed the app on my iPhone and re-opened it and everything was fine. Flew around for quite a while - I really like the Radar popup, is that new? It's great to see where my P2V is facing!

3rd batter, went thru startup as usual, this time no popups at all. Flew around and everything was great. Even got footage of a train from about 300ft.

**just a note - I have my FPV settings on the phone set to 320 x 240 15fps. I'm pretty sure this is because my iPhone 4 can't handle any better. I'm going to try it with my iPad 3 someday at full resolution but right now it's too unwieldy to try to hold my controller and iPad at the same time

Your mileage may vary.....
tcg

pilot said:
Did not update to v3.0 just the phone app and now i'm getting this while i'm in my room over 7km far from the airport :lol:

fxiu.jpg
You only have 5 GPS satellites, its supposed to not do that unless you have 6 more.

MikeySoft said:
race3 said:
MikeySoft said:

PS

Looking at the map in the safe flight video, it looks like the 35 feet high starts 1/2 the distance to the 5 miles which is incorrect.

I redid my math. According to the map on dji safe flight page. Boston Common starts about 1/2 the distance from what they say is the center of the airport to the 5 mile limit. So it is about 2.5 miles away. At 1.5 miles the max altitude is 35 feet. At 5 miles it goes to 400 feet. So… (400 – 35)/(5 – 1.5) = 104 feet per mile.

Boston Common is about 2.5 miles away as I said above so it is 1 miles from the start of the cone at 1.5 miles. So the max high there is 104 + 35 = 139 feet.

Sorry I did the math wrong but 139 feet is still lower than many of the surrounding buildings and lower than many of the building closer to the airport. To me, it looks like the Phantom when over 139 feet so this video could have not been made. I also don't know how distracting the warnings that you are in/near a no fly zone will be. I also would not want it to land because it thinks in is closer then the start of the cone.

thanks. that math makes more sense. I have flown in the Boston Common's before as well. The rangers stopped me once and said it wasn't allowed... although they were very kind about it. Regardless, I can't fly now because (see my other post about In Flight Power Loss!!) my P2V came crashing down and is damaged. And after that experience I would just be scared to fly over all the people shown in that video... someone could get seriously hurt if they don't fix this issue!

Really should of thought of that the first time, you never know what's going to happen with these things. I had my 450 flip right over and hit the ground for no reason. Flew in that same area all the time.
Never did it again. You just never know.

Not sure if someone posted it but the new version of the app now works over 3,300' and does NOT display N/A. I had it out to 4,200' before I lost FPV with my setup.

I am hoping that DJI gets enough user back lash that they add a disable function to the new safety zone feature. I let my friend fly my vision today but they accidentally had it too far out and the battery was too low to make the flight back to the home point before running out (partially do to strong winds). So I'm going to need a replacement, but wont want a new one if I'll be stuck with that new CrippleWare they call a firmware. I could also pick up someone's slightly used Vision on ebay and keep that on older firmware. Hmm.. what ta do what ta do. That new stabilized camera would be nice. Also thinking about the Phantom 2 with H3-3D and the DJI Lightbridge for HD video. Bit of a steep price tag though but regardless I wont be getting either of those unless they add that off switch to the new firmware "feature".

I can tell you now their not gonna remove it but hopefully they will at least allow users to take off closer to the no-fly zones.
More importantly i hope they put more effort into future firmware updates because at the moment all I'm hearing about the V3.0 update are people crashing and having difficulty controlling their quads

BenDronePilot said:
I am hoping that DJI gets enough user back lash that they add a disable function to the new safety zone feature. I let my friend fly my vision today but they accidentally had it too far out and the battery was too low to make the flight back to the home point before running out (partially do to strong winds). So I'm going to need a replacement, but wont want a new one if I'll be stuck with that new CrippleWare they call a firmware. I could also pick up someone's slightly used Vision on ebay and keep that on older firmware. Hmm.. what ta do what ta do. That new stabilized camera would be nice. Also thinking about the Phantom 2 with H3-3D and the DJI Lightbridge for HD video. Bit of a steep price tag though but regardless I wont be getting either of those unless they add that off switch to the new firmware "feature".
Only a matter of time before someone here or on RCGROUPS hacks that safe zone feature to be able to disable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl